Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2004, 04:20 AM
Elite Fan

Vera Drake (2004) #1

Quote:
Venice Honors Abortionist Film 'Vera Drake'
Sat, Sep 11, 2004, 09:09 PM PT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) -- The Venice Film Festival honored British filmmaker Mike Leigh's "Vera Drake," a period film about an abortion rights activist in the 1950s.
Leigh's movie won the Golden Lion on Saturday, (Sept. 11) and the movie's star Imelda Staunton won best actress for the role of an innocuous cleaning lady who helps young girls who "get into trouble."

The controversial movie didn't make it in the Cannes Film Festival. It was presented the award by actress Sophia Loren, and won over Mira Nair's "Vanity Fair" and Nicole Kidman's latest movie, "Birth."

"Vera Drake" opens Oct. 10.
This is the first time I hear about this film. The subject is being debated back and forth in US courts so, this doesn't come at a bad time.

I must admit I'm pro-life but it tickles my curiosity to see how the subject is handled by the makers. Plus, it's a period movie! All the more reason to want to see it.