Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2004, 05:04 AM
Elite Fan

Jaw dropping special effects

I was reading and old review of "The Perfect Storm" (the active hurricane season made me think of the movie) and this quote described how I felt watching the movie:

Quote:
...the movie becomes absolutely exhausting as water absolutely pounds the boat - waves so huge that I almost ducked once or twice in my seat.

-Aaron Beierle (DVDTalk.com)
I felt like he did! It was an overwhelming sense of powerless ness against the monster force of mother nature.

That was a seamless job by the movie and I want to know about your experiences watching movies like this that made you think twice about ever saying "seeing is believing"!

"Twister" is another one that just makes you hold your breath and pray the next tornado doesn't come out of the screen.

And how about that "Lord of the Rings"?!
Old 09-06-2004, 04:05 PM
Cotton Candy

I really enjoyed the special effects that James Cameron brought to the screen in Titanic.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Moderator Support Team

I just realized it's been 2 years and I still haven't finished watching The Perfect Storm! I gotta dig out my half-watched tape. I didn't even get to the meaty part of the storm yet.
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by quarterley

I just realized it's been 2 years and I still haven't finished watching The Perfect Storm! I gotta dig out my half-watched tape. I didn't even get to the meaty part of the storm yet.
Holy cow!

DC ohhh that one was a beauty to watch for special effects alone. It felt so real.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Dedicated Fan

In Titanic when the ship splits in half-frickin awesome.
dark noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 05:57 PM
Master Fan

Ooh, good subject, sweets!

I'd have to go with Jurassic Park - I cringe every time T-rex comes on screen, even though I know it's CGI! I can't help it - scares the crap out of me (and I must have seen this film at least 50 times).

Let's see...of course there was the original Star Wars - we'd never seen anything like it. It was astounding - awe inspiring, really. You don't have any real sense of it today because special effects are so sophisticated, but the original Star Wars in its day was truly groundbreaking and TOTALLY made me drop my jaw.
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

I thought Titantic and LOTR had excellent special effects that made my jaw drop.
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:28 PM
Cotton Candy

Quote:
Originally posted by ROCKSTAR
ohhh that one was a beauty to watch for special effects alone. It felt so real.
I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally posted by dark noon
In Titanic when the ship splits in half-frickin awesome.
It really was. I would love to know how they did that.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

X2 opening of Nightcrawler attacking the White House. The special effects were amazing!!

That scene was hands down the best I've seen in a LONG time. If that was just the beginning....I could only have imagined what was next. And it didn't disappoint either.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Fan

How about those of "The Day After Tomorrow"? It was surreal, seeing LA being destroyed by tornadoes and the whole thing they did to New York (being submerged by water, having boats floating in its streets, etc.)

I was totally (forgive the expression) blown away by those effects.
Cathangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Master Fan

*psst* LOVE your Josh/Donna avatar!
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:03 AM
Loyal Fan

The Day After Tomorrow definetly made me cringe. The effects may have been a little too realistic for me. The movie had me near an anxiety attack.

Twister is another movie I probably can't watch anymore.

I get a little antsy about tornados, big water (waves or floods), and angry dogs.

I love Titanic. The boat and when it started to sink was excellent. I felt like I was watching the real thing happen.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Cotton Candy

Quote:
Originally posted by crzy4fun
I love Titanic. The boat and when it started to sink was excellent. I felt like I was watching the real thing happen.
I know what you mean. I felt the same way.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:19 AM
Elite Fan

I found the tornadoes in The Day After Tomorrow fairly unrealistic. But that's just me. Not easily pleased. But I loved the water scenes. Makes Deep Impact look so dodgy.

But I'm going to be original, and give a nod to Titanic. That made me sit totally still in my chair. I was afraid to move when the ship split in half, like I was actually on there!
Old 09-11-2004, 04:59 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by shrrshrr
Ooh, good subject, sweets!
*whispers to herself* "if Shr approves I'm doing well"

I wanted to add that the "Reapers" from Blade II were really well done. The way their jaws opened was awesome. But that's more technical/make up ground than CGI. But still, looked great.

Also, how could I forget... ID4, those explotions, the space flight, the aliens... Man!