Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2004, 09:54 PM
Obsessed Fan

Friday Night Lights (2004) #1

Here is the trailer to a new high school football film that will be released in October:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/univer...hts/large.html

While it first appears to be a "Varsity Blues" clone, here are some interesting facts about it:
  • This film is based on the book "Friday Night Lights" by H.G. "Buzz" Bissinger.
  • There is a lot of hard feelings from the original town of Odessa, TX, where FNL takes place as the book apparently does not report the facts straight.
  • The events in the film occured almost 20 years ago in 1988.
  • It has taken almost 20 years to finally bring this story to the screen.
  • It was passed around from studio to studio, director to director. Richard Linkleter ("Dazed and Confused") was actually making his own version until Universal Studios pulled the plug in 1998 (same time Varsity Blues was released by MTV Productions).
  • The book chronicles the team actually losing the season and it is reported the movie is just another "happy ending" sports movie, unlike "Rocky" where Rocky does not defeat Apollo Creed at the end.
  • There is a pivotal scene that was in the book where they decided who would go to the State Championship as a tie between three schools occurred and the decision was made via a coin toss at a roadside truck stop where the coaches met. It is not know if this is in the movie given how the movie may have been completely changed for more dramatic purposes (the "happy ending" as described above).

Here is a website about the real "Friday Night Lights" and the controversy surrounding it for anyone who is intrested (it's the official Odessa City site):

http://www.oaoa.com/specialsections/...idaylights.htm
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 10:14 PM
Elite Fan

Sadly I can't go deeper into "scouting" this movie but it has my attention because of Jay Hernandez. Apparently, I might've take the wrong element to want to watch this movie for as it sounds so interesting by its own merits.

Nonetheless I'm taking notes.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:45 PM
Loyal Fan

Oh, yay!! My high school's band (Austin High School in Houston) is in this movie. Every member got paid a meager amount to perform for the movie. Even though I'm not really a fan of football movies, I want to see this movie just to see my band in action!
Old 09-27-2004, 03:33 AM
Elite Fan

I've seen some teasers for this on tv. Looks good!
Old 09-27-2004, 03:53 AM
Master Fan

"Friday Night Lights" (2004)
A town for sale, Odessa, Texas has seen better days--the financial bust evident in its boarded-up shops and broken lives. Yet one hope sustains the community where, once a week during the fall, the town and its dreams come alive beneath the dazzling and disorienting Friday night lights...when the Permian High Panthers take to the field.

"Hope comes alive on Friday nights"- Tagline

looks good, looks like it has great potential on being great.... I always love a good sports movie, that inspires. The have been past great's like Remember the Titans (football movie), The Rookie (Baseball movie).. Hope this follows and is a good movie.... Thanks for making the thread, been seeing the tv spots alot lately... The midwest, truly rallys behind the high school teams, its amazing how the whole town gets behind them, its really different compared to where I live, football is not big.... Are basketball team has been well known, but thats about it.... Varisty Blues, did a good job showing midwest football....

looks like its out Oct 8th, 2004, if I'm not to busy with school, I'll totally go.
capesidefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread