Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Part-Time Fan

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004) #1

After seeing the second trailer, I am so looking forward to this movie. The cast is awesome and the special effects look pretty good. It is so different than anything else opening against it, I think it will do well in the box office.
tinydancer821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Master Fan

I've never heard of it - sounds big budget, to me.

In any case, welcome to the boards!
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 06:16 PM
Obsessed Fan

It's fairly big budget.

It stars Gwenyth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie and Jude Law.

It is nothing but a CGI-fest, so if you are expecting an actual story... DON'T. I haven't seen it, but it more of a throw-back to the Saturday Matinees of old, complete with cheesy dialogue and all (it's not a comedy, but an actual homage in every single way).

Here is/are the trailer(s):

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...rldoftomorrow/

There is also a short scene from the actual movie (this is what I meant when you can tell half of the film was shot in front of blue and green screens and the rest composited in during post-production).
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 06:46 PM
Dedicated Fan

Me, me, me! Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow c'mon! This is gonna be so hot. Ontop of it all, you got Angelina Jolie. Well, you got the hero, the heroine, and the sexy b*tch coming right at ya! Hehe. Nah but seriously I love how the film looks so surreal and I am anticipating to see it. I'm sure it will be great.
dark noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 02:33 AM
Addicted Fan

I just saw the Trailer and well it looks okay, its some thing i might rent one day.

also what is this movie based from Comic,video game etc.. or was it a oringal?
natalie4237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 02:12 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by natalie4237
I just saw the Trailer and well it looks okay, its some thing i might rent one day.

also what is this movie based from Comic,video game etc.. or was it a oringal?
It's an original concept... And to be blunt, not even Paramount was that crazy about it.

The director had to literally convince every single person surrounding the project (before he got the green light) exactly what he wanted to accomplish (by watching the trailer you can see it is part Saturday Matinee, part Matrix, part Epic-Battle movie, but with more of a classic feel to it than Techno "Terminator" feeling to it).

He made a five minute short using just CGI and a couple of stand-ins for the major leads and did scenes like the one you can watch (with people in cockpits and flying vehicles).

Honestly, the reason movies like this gets made is simply because it IS different... And that doesn't mean it has to be all that original or even good when it comes to the final product, unfortunately.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:37 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by UnsilentMajorty
It's an original concept... And to be blunt, not even Paramount was that crazy about it.

The director had to literally convince every single person surrounding the project (before he got the green light) exactly what he wanted to accomplish (by watching the trailer you can see it is part Saturday Matinee, part Matrix, part Epic-Battle movie, but with more of a classic feel to it than Techno "Terminator" feeling to it).

He made a five minute short using just CGI and a couple of stand-ins for the major leads and did scenes like the one you can watch (with people in cockpits and flying vehicles).
Curious to where you get your information?
I welcome the CGI aspect of the film, it is what made films like Matrix so popular.

Here is a link I saw about the actors using blue screen. Looks cool to me!

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2483842
Old 08-23-2004, 07:01 PM
Master Fan

I've seen the promos a few times. It looks all CGI'd and I'm not really into movies like that unless they have a great plot. Jude, Angie, and Gwyneth would be the only reasons I'd ever see this, and even then, probably only on video.

lex/lana("I did it for you") felicity/noel("you're my first boyfriend") trey/alex(mixing business with pleasure) seth/chloe(every superhero needs a lois lane)
last beautiful girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 07:09 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by tinydancer821

Curious to where you get your information?
I have various inside sources

Quote:
I welcome the CGI aspect of the film, it is what made films like Matrix so popular.
The problem, now, with CGI is that is often used as a substitute for a good plot, or story and movies are all "eye-candy" and have no real substantial staying power once you get past all that eye-candy.

I mean, ironically, completely CGI movies like "A Bug's Life" and "Toy Story" series have more enduring and universally appealing stories and themes than something like "SW: Attack of the Clones" or even "The Matrix" series in a lot of respects.

This is because the producers of "A Bug's Life" and others know first and foremost that the story is what will carry the medium, rather than the other way around and this is where (and why) we are getting so many lousy "big buget blockbusters" that use CGI when it should only be used to enhance a story and not become the story.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:26 PM
Addicted Fan

I'm not going to see this movie, and a large part of that is due to the fact that I HATE the way it looks. It looks as if they photoshopped every single frame of the movie with the Aetherize filter on Paint Shop Pro. No way could I sit through hours of that.

Plus I don't like Gwyneth Paltrow or Angelina Jolie much at all. So really...theres nothing here to draw me in.

icon credit
alli balli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:55 AM
Addicted Fan

Wow if this movie such crap.
i cant believe it got the big names as it did. I mean Angie is wayy to good for this type of movie.

But its still going to make the big buck.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

I dunno, I give the studio credit for doing something different. It is nice for a change to have something other than the usual, to pick from at the theatre. Plus, you are getting some A+ talent thrown in for good measure.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Addicted Fan

Did any one see the Making of Sky on Showtime?
Old 09-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Obsessed Fan

The only way I'll probably see it is if people rave about it to me. I'm not a big fan of the actors, and the movie itself I can take or leave.

~Kat
TheCheshireKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by natalie4237
Did any one see the Making of Sky on Showtime?
AHHHH! Sadly, I missed it. I'll have to see if it is being re-played.

I did however, find this behind the scenes clip which is pretty cool. It kinda helps explain what the movie is all about.

http://www.hollywood.com/movies/mm/nav/1/id/2414423
Reply   Post New Thread