Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2004, 06:51 AM
Absolute Fan

Memento (2000) #1

[For the record, if you haven't seen the movie...get out or get spoiled. ]

I saw this movie a few weeks ago, and I just haven't been able to get it out of my head - I keep going over it, trying to figure things out and thinking up explanations for things. It's a great movie - I love that the ending answers most of the questions that have come up during the course of the movie, but still leaves so much to the imagination. The events that we see in the movie end up being explained, but we're left to wonder about the things that led up to the movie - what really happened to Leonard's wife, Leonard's connection to Jimmy, and whether or not Teddy can be trusted. Then there's the question of what happens after the movie - where does Leonard go from there?

"The world doesn't just disappear when you close your eyes, does it?"
the laziest little sidekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 12:51 PM
Loyal Fan

Great movie...I'm normally not a Carrie Anne Moss fan but she did really well. The movie was perfectly cast ... loved that it was filmed in backward spurts. Very good concept.

Spoiler - it seems to me that Leonard's wife death was explained. My impression was that Teddy was honest about that.
summerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Total Fan

This movie was so awesome and I loved the concept of the whole watching things end to beginning. It took me a while to get used to how the movie worked but after a while I was just sitting there in amazement.

I'm not a huge Guy Pierce (sp?) fan but he was really good in this movie.
You are my signal fire.
The only resolution and the only joy,
Is the faint spark of forgiveness in your eyes.
BreathofJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Part-Time Fan

This movie was so original and well done. I loved how even though the story was backwords it could still be surprising. I really want to get the dvd.

"It's not that I want to kill her. I just want her not to be alive anymore." - Stewie (Family Guy)
Luckylyn64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Master Fan

Huh - we lost our old thread. And don't worry - since it hasn't been in the theater for the last three months anyone who posts on the thread should expect to run into spoilers.

In any case - I LOVED this movie, even though all the characters turned out to be intensely unlikeable by the end (especially Guy Pierce and Carrie Ann Moss).

It's truly brilliant and better than the writer/director's first film, Following, because it's more polished, but also because it's much more ambiguous, which I love.

Totally great idea.
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 05:51 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by summerbug
it seems to me that Leonard's wife death was explained. My impression was that Teddy was honest about that.
True. I guess my problem is that we don't know exactly how much of Sammy's story really happened to Sammy, how much of it came from Leonard's life, and how much of it was simply invented by Leonard.

In Leonard's telling of the story, Sammy's wife is told that her husband's problem is mental, not physical (as shown by his inability to condition himself), and so she believes that there is hope, that she can snap him out of it. The death of Sammy's wife depended entirely on the fact that physically, he should have been able to make new memories.

Now, if we assume that everything that happened in that story really happened to Leonard...why did Leonard's wife test him with the insulin? After all, Leonard's condition is physical, not mental - he can, and does, condition himself to do things a certain way - so his wife wouldn't have misunderstood his condition in the way that Sammy's wife did.

I know I'm overthinking it and that it's much of a stretch to assume that even though it was physically impossible for Leonard to mske new memories, his wife thought that she could snap him out of it. I just love analyzing this movie.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:19 AM
Part-Time Fan

This movie was sooo fantastic. I had to pay attention to every moment to stay up to date date with what was going on and when it was over I was left with my mouth open and questions running through my brain.

They answered the questions in the movie but I wanted to see where Guy's character went after this since there was really no where else he could go.

It was simply great, I loved it.
Clash181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 05:31 AM
Moderator Support Team

I loved it so much I went and bought the Special Edition DVD.

I even watched it again in the right chronological sequence on the DVD. It really does makes it easier to understand what is going on. But of course, the original is best cuz it puts the audience in the same position as Leonard of having only short term memory and only knew what just happened.
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Obsessed Fan

When I worked at a video store, my manager recommended the movie to me and kept telling me I'd like it, so I rented it. It was definitely original. I never bought it (it's really the kind of movie I'd only want to watch once), but I did like it a lot.

~Kat
TheCheshireKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 12:19 AM
Addicted Fan

Yeeeeah, this one of my absolute favorite movies! I have the Special Edition DVD too, but I can't bring myself to watch it in chronological order. I just think it would kind of ruin it for me, since half the fun is seeing it so that you don't know what preceded.

icon credit
alli balli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 12:58 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally posted by alli balli
Yeeeeah, this one of my absolute favorite movies! I have the Special Edition DVD too, but I can't bring myself to watch it in chronological order. I just think it would kind of ruin it for me, since half the fun is seeing it so that you don't know what preceded.
Watch it the way it is first, then watch the chronological order version. You will notice more things that you haven't noticed the first time.
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 03:04 AM
Absolute Fan

I didn't know that the DVD had the chronological order feature, so the first time I saw the movie I used rewind and fast forward to watch it all in order - and this was on VHS, so it took forever. I still want to watch it in order on the DVD, though, because it'll flow much better and make more sense when I don't have to fiddle with the remote every few minutes.

What do you think of the scene with the hooker, and the scene where Leonard burns his wife's stuff?
Old 08-13-2004, 12:05 PM
Addicted Fan

I love this movie. It's just so mind bending and leaves you wondering at the end, where was the start and end of Leonard's story.
xallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by the laziest little sidekick
True. I guess my problem is that we don't know exactly how much of Sammy's story really happened to Sammy, how much of it came from Leonard's life, and how much of it was simply invented by Leonard.

In Leonard's telling of the story, Sammy's wife is told that her husband's problem is mental, not physical (as shown by his inability to condition himself), and so she believes that there is hope, that she can snap him out of it. The death of Sammy's wife depended entirely on the fact that physically, he should have been able to make new memories.

Now, if we assume that everything that happened in that story really happened to Leonard...why did Leonard's wife test him with the insulin? After all, Leonard's condition is physical, not mental - he can, and does, condition himself to do things a certain way - so his wife wouldn't have misunderstood his condition in the way that Sammy's wife did.
Because Lenny unloaded his problems onto Sammy. Remember how he kept saying in the begining Sammy didn't have a system? I think that back then, Lenny didn't have a system, and that's why the thing with his wife happened. But that forced him to find a system, even if he reppressed the reason.

I love this movie.
I've got quote a bit of icons for it. http://www.angelfire.com/ego2/desultory/miscmovies.html
Old 03-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Part-Time Fan

wow... i LOVED this movie... my dad had it for a long time, and finally the other night, he was like "you should watch this..." let me say, i wasn't disappointed at all...

even though you saw the ending first, you were still guessing throughout the entire movie, and the end was such a weird twist...

overall, it was one of the most original movies i've seen in a while, and i LOVED it!