Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2004, 09:17 PM
Master Fan

AFI Top 100 best movie songs

Just saw this on comcast.com main page, totally in agreement with Over the Rainbow being the top movie tune picked by the AFI.. It still on here on the west coast on cbs

AFI Says 'Over the Rainbow' Top Movie Tune

1 hour ago

By DAVID GERMAIN, AP Movie Writer

LOS ANGELES - There's no song like "Over the Rainbow." Kansas farm girl Dorothy Gale's wistful ditty in "The Wizard of Oz" led the American Film Institute's list of 100 best movie songs Tuesday, followed by "As Time Goes By" from "Casablanca" at No. 2 and the title tune from "Singin' in the Rain" at No. 3.

"Over the Rainbow," sung by Judy Garland in the 1939 musical fantasy, was picked as the top song in U.S. cinema in voting by about 1,500 actors, filmmakers, writers, critics and others in Hollywood.

"That deserves it. It's one of the great, great songs. Judy Garland, the emotion in that song. It gives me chills whenever I hear it," said Burt Bacharach, who was represented on the list for co-writing "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" (No. 23) from "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" and "Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)" (No. 79) from "Arthur."

In 2001, Garland's "Over the Rainbow" (and Bing Crosby's "White Christmas") also topped the 365 "Songs of the Century" selected by the National Endowment for the Arts and the Recording Industry Association of America.

The rest of the AFI top 10: 4. "Moon River" from "Breakfast at Tiffany's"; 5. "White Christmas" from "Holiday Inn"; 6. "Mrs. Robinson" from "The Graduate"; 7. "When You Wish Upon a Star" from "Pinocchio"; 8. "The Way We Were" from "The Way We Were"; 9. "Stayin' Alive" from "Saturday Night Fever"; 10. "The Sound of Music" from "The Sound of Music."

Two other songs made the list from both "The Sound of Music" ("My Favorite Things" at No. 64 and "Do Re Mi" at No. 88) and "Singin' in the Rain" ("Make 'Em Laugh" at No. 49 and "Good Morning" at No. 72). "West Side Story" also landed three songs: "Somewhere" (No. 20), "America" (No. 35) and "Tonight" (No. 59).

Chosen from 400 nominees, the list was announced in the CBS special "AFI's 100 Years ... 100 Songs," the institute's latest countdown to promote U.S. film history. The show's host was John Travolta, star of "Saturday Night Fever" and "Grease," whose "Summer Nights" came in at No. 70.

"A list like this really drives people back to rediscover or discover these movies," said Jean Picker Firstenburg, the institute's director. "It's about older generations revisiting them and younger generations finding them for the first time."

Past specials presented such lists as the best 100 American movies, comedies, screen legends and love stories. AFI leaders had been mulling a list of best movie songs for years.

"It's an idea we've had floating around since the beginning," said Bob Gazzale, who produces the AFI specials. "Movies and music are so obviously linked at the heart, really. Even before sound came to films, there were songs that went with silent pictures, as well."

The earliest song to make the list was "Isn't It Romantic" (No. 73), sung by Maurice Chevalier and Jeanette MacDonald in 1932's "Love Me Tonight." The newest came from 2002 with Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renee Zellweger's rendition of "All That Jazz" (No. 98) from "Chicago" and Eminem's "Lose Yourself" (No. 93) from "8 Mile."

Unlike the Academy Awards, which honors songs written specifically for new movies, the AFI list allowed any tune integral to a movie. So songs such as "It Had to Be You" (No. 60) from "When Harry Met Sally..." and "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" (No. 94) from "The Big Chill" made the cut.

Other tunes ranged from sublime with Paul Robeson's "Ol' Man River (No. 24) from the 1936 version of "Show Boat" and Garland's "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (No. 76) from "Meet Me in St. Louis" to the goofy with "Springtime for Hitler" (No. 80) from Mel Brooks' "The Producers" and Gene Wilder and Peter Boyle's wacky rendition of "Puttin' on the Ritz" (No. 89) from Brooks' "Young Frankenstein."

Songs came from blockbusters ("My Heart Will Go On" from "Titanic" at No. 14 and "Unchained Melody" from "Ghost" at No. 27) and from counterculture flicks ("Born to Be Wild" from "Easy Rider" at No. 29 and "Aquarius" from "Hair" at No. 33).

"I think this list is about music that has made its way into daily lives, rather than an assessment of what's great," said Jennifer Warnes, who sang two duets that made the list, "Up Where We Belong" (No. 75) from "An Officer and a Gentleman" and "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" (No. 86) from "Dirty Dancing."

"The reason why my songs made it there is that they're used. I still hear `Up Where we Belong' when I'm at the store buying frozen peas, and it makes me happier to be buying frozen peas."

Last edited by capesidefan; 06-23-2004 at 05:44 AM
capesidefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:57 PM
Elite Fan

That list makes me want to sing!!

"Over the Rainbow" is flawless and the #1 indeed! I missed the show due to my cable being messed up

Anyway, thanks for posting. Glad to see the new "All That Jazz" in there, as well as West Side Story classics. Eminem's "Lose Yourself" is a great entry also.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:29 AM
Obsessed Fan

"over the rainbow"........a few years ago 'the wizard of oz' was re-released theatrically.......i was lucky enough to have seen it that way......seeing judy garland singing that song on the big screen of a theater is just so magical.....it will always be one of my fondest memories of going to the movies.......
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:33 AM
In Theaters

Aw, it's so nice to see THREE Sound of Music songs on the list
Old 06-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Passionate Fan

Here are my theories from before the show:

1. Singing in the Rain
2. Over the Rainbow
3. When You Wish Upon A Star
4. Sound of Music
5. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
6. We're In the Money
7. You're the One That I Want
8. Time Warp
9. Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
10. (I've Had) the Time of My Life

I was suprised I didn't guess that the Casablanca song would be so high up. I was happy that Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend was up there so high. And longer than they showed Marilyn. I definitly thought the Dirty Dancing song should have been way higher; I hear that song and I instantly want to see the movie and sing along.
I was very very suprised that Mammy from The Jazz Singer wasn't on the list. I think they would have done better to nominate Toot Toot Tootsie (Goo'bye) because it seems to be better liked over the years as it is more fun, but regardless it should have been in the list. It was the first friggin talkie and people adored it and in consequence loved Al Jolsen. Just because parents don't watch the movie constantly (because they're too young) and because the tv stations don't expose children to it like they do with Wizard of Oz, it doesn't mean it isn't important or likable.

The thing that really got me was all the Barbara Streisand songs that were played. My dad said someone must have really liked her because she was everywhere and I don't think she deserved it. The stuff of hers that I've heard I don't really like much and the others I'd never heard in my life. And her movies remind me of Meryl Streep movies; they try really hard to make them really important and really dramatic but all they ever turn out to do is bore me.
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Maliejandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:08 PM
Master Fan

1. "Over the Rainbow," "The Wizard of Oz," 1939.
2. "As Time Goes by," "Casablanca," 1942.
3. "Singin' in the Rain," "Singin' in the Rain," 1952.
4. "Moon River," "Breakfast at Tiffany's," 1961.
5. "White Christmas," "Holiday Inn," 1942.
6. "Mrs. Robinson," "The Graduate," 1967.
7. "When You Wish Upon a Star," "Pinocchio," 1940.
8. "The Way We Were," "The Way We Were," 1973.
9. "Stayin' Alive," "Saturday Night Fever," 1977.
10. "The Sound of Music," "The Sound of Music," 1965.

11. "The Man That Got Away," "A Star Is Born," 1954.
12. "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend," "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes," 1953.
13. "People," "Funny Girl," 1968.
14. "My Heart Will Go On," "Titanic," 1997.
15. "Cheek to Cheek," "Top Hat," 1935.
16. "Evergreen (Love Theme From `A Star Is Born')," "A Star Is Born," 1976.
17. "I Could Have Danced All Night," "My Fair Lady," 1964.
18. "Cabaret," "Cabaret," 1972.
19. "Some Day My Prince Will Come," "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," 1937.
20. "Somewhere," "West Side Story," 1961.

21. "Jailhouse Rock," "Jailhouse Rock," 1957.
22. "Everybody's Talkin'," "Midnight Cowboy, 1969.
23. "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head," "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," 1969.
24. "Ol' Man River," "Show Boat," 1936.
25. "High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darlin')," "High Noon," 1952.
26. "The Trolley Song," "Meet Me in St. Louis," 1944.
27. "Unchained Melody," "Ghost," 1990.
28. "Some Enchanted Evening," "South Pacific," 1958.
29. "Born to Be Wild," "Easy Rider," 1969.
30. "Stormy Weather," "Stormy Weather," 1943.

31. "Theme From `New York, New York,'" "New York, New York," 1977.
32. "I Got Rhythm," "An American in Paris," 1951.
33. "Aquarius, "Hair," 1979.
34. "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off," "Shall We Dance," 1937.
35. "America," "West Side Story," 1961.
36. "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious," "Mary Poppins," 1964.
37. "Swinging on a Star," "Going My Way," 1944.
38. "Theme From `Shaft,'" "Shaft," 1971.
39. "Days of Wine and Roses," "Days of Wine and Roses," 1963.
40. "Fight the Power," "Do the Right Thing," 1989.

41. "New York, New York," "On the Town," 1949.
42. "Luck Be a Lady," "Guys and Dolls," 1955.
43. "The Way You Look Tonight," "The Swing Time," 1936.
44. "Wind Beneath My Wings," "Beaches," 1988.
45. "That's Entertainment," "The Band Wagon," 1953.
46. "Don't Rain on My Parade," "Funny Girl," 1968.
47. "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah," "Song of the South," 1947.
48. "Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera)," "The Man Who Knew Too Much," 1956.
49. "Make 'Em Laugh," "Singin' in the Rain," 1952.
50. "Rock Around the Clock," "Blackboard Jungle," 1955.

51. "Fame," "Fame," 1980.
52. "Summertime," "Porgy and Bess," 1959.
53. "Goldfinger," "Goldfinger," 1964.
54. "Shall We Dance," "The King and I," 1956.
55. "Flashdance ... What a Feeling," "Flashdance," 1983.
56. "Thank Heaven for Little Girls," "Gigi," 1958.
57. "The Windmills of Your Mind," "The Thomas Crown Affair," 1968.
58. "Gonna Fly Now," "Rocky," 1976.
59. "Tonight," "West Side Story," 1961.
60. "It Had to Be You," "When Harry Met Sally ...," 1989.

61. "Get Happy," "Summer Stock," 1950.
62. "Beauty and the Beast," "Beauty and the Beast," 1991.
63. "Thanks for the Memory," "The Big Broadcast of 1938," 1938.
64. "My Favorite Things," "The Sound of Music," 1965.
65. "I Will Always Love You," "The Bodyguard," 1992.
66. "Suicide Is Painless," "M-A-S-H," 1970.
67. "Nobody Does It Better," "The Spy Who Loved Me," 1977.
68. "Streets of Philadelphia," "Philadelphia," 1993.
69. "On the Good Ship Lollipop," "Bright Eyes," 1934.
70. "Summer Nights," "Grease," 1978.

71. "The Yankee Doodle Boy," "Yankee Doodle Dandy," 1942.
72. "Good Morning," "Singin' in the Rain," 1952.
73. "Isn't It Romantic?" "Love Me Tonight," 1932.
74. "Rainbow Connection," "The Muppet Movie," 1979.
75. "Up Where We Belong," "An Officer and a Gentleman," 1982.
76. "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," "Meet Me in St. Louis," 1944.
77. "The Shadow of Your Smile," "The Sandpiper," 1965.
78. "9 to 5," "9 to 5," 1980.
79. "Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)," "Arthur," 1981.
80. "Springtime for Hitler," "The Producers," 1968.

81. "I'm Easy," "Nashville," 1975.
82. "Ding Dong the Witch Is Dead," "The Wizard of Oz," 1939.
83. "The Rose," "The Rose," 1979.
84. "Put the Blame on Mame," "Gilda," 1946.
85. "Come What May," "Moulin Rouge!" 2001.
86. "(I've Had) the Time of My Life," "Dirty Dancing," 1987.
87. "Buttons and Bows," "The Paleface," 1948.
88. "Do Re Mi," "The Sound of Music," 1965.
89. "Puttin' on the Ritz," "Young Frankenstein," 1974.
90. "Seems Like Old Times," "Annie Hall," 1977.

91. "Let the River Run," "Working Girl," 1988.
92. "Long Ago and Far Away," "Cover Girl," 1944.
93. "Lose Yourself," "8 Mile," 2002.
94. "Ain't Too Proud to Beg," "The Big Chill," 1983.
95. "(We're Off on the) Road to Morocco," "Road to Morocco," 1942.
96. "Footloose," "Footloose," 1984.
97. "42nd Street," "42nd Street," 1933.
98. "All That Jazz," "Chicago," 2002.
99. "Hakuna Matata," "The Lion King," 1994.
100. "Old Time Rock and Roll," "Risky Business," 1983
capesidefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 05:26 PM
Addicted Fan

Eeeeee, so many good songs!

And I'm so happy to see Isn't it Romantic made it cos that's one of my own faves

And Road to Morocco I had that stuck in my head for WEEKS afterwards. Like Webster's dictionary we're Morocco-bound!
Profaine Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 01:02 AM
Extreme Fan

I finally watched it last night.

I'm not familiar with most of the songs, but 'rainbow' was an excellent choice for number one. I thought that "Summer Nights" from Grease and "All that Jazz" from Chicago, should have been higher than they were. I thought "Turn, Turn, Turn" by the Byrds? from Forrest Gump should have made the list.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:12 PM
In Theaters

Yay for Titanic and The Lion King as well!
Old 06-25-2004, 04:09 PM
Addicted Fan

I like As Time Goes By better than Over the Rainbow (and I like Casablanca a lot more than Wizard of Oz.) So, I would have chosen that as number one. But no big deal. I'm glad Mrs. Robinson was up so high. I loooove that movie and its soundtrack.

ETA: Okay, how could they have multiple songs from Singin' in the Rain, and none from Rocky Horror Picture Show!? Pshh. A travesty.

icon credit

Last edited by alli balli; 06-25-2004 at 04:17 PM
alli balli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 01:37 AM
Addicted Fan

Overall I was extremely happy to see the songs that had made it onto the list, with some of my favourite songs ever from my favourite movies. I was also a little puzzled that no songs from RHPS were on the list, surely Time Warp or Sweet Transvestite (my personal fave song from the movie!) should have been on it. But ah well, I'm glad that Over The Rainbow came first, what a classic song.

I was stoked that several songs from the Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers musicals made the cut, and was pleasantly surprised that "Cheek To Cheek" was ranked so high but it really is one of my all-time favourite scenes. I was also happy that my two favourite James Bond theme songs were there too, as were the Sound of Music songs and the 80's flicks, like Fame, Flashdance and Dirty Dancing, although I would've loved to have seen "Try A Little Tenderness" from Pretty In Pink.

Yay also for Grease (is still the word!), The Lion King, "I Will Always Love You" and my god the "Unchained Melody" scene in Ghost made me bawl like a baby whenever I watch it.

- Erin, from TWOP.
loquacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 09:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Come What May But I think it should have been higher on the list, maybe in top 50.

Laura|
Lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:18 AM
Elite Fan

West Side Story, aww

Carlos
Sick Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Loyal Fan

I was very happy with the list and I had so many of those songs in my head but mainly (I've Had) the Time of My Life for some reason....

Sonny & Brenda/Buffy & Angel/Buffy & Spike/Big & Carrie/Ben & Felicity/Luke & Lorelai/Rory & Jess/Doyle & Cordelia/Ron & Hermione/Ross & Rachel
~*SweetiePie*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:42 PM
Obsessed Fan

I watched this with my parents (we're all movie fanatics). It was cool with all the interviews and stuff; I learned some stuff I hadn't known about some of my favorite songs.

Songs I was happy to see made the list:
+ Lose Yourself
+ Streets of Philadelphia
+ The Sound of Music
+ Mrs. Robinson
+ Over the Rainbow
+ Stayin' Alive

But I loved the majority of the songs they chose and thoroughly enjoyed watching the special.

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
22 Umbrellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread