Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Administrator

What Are Your Favorite Memories of Being A Part Of The Dawson's Creek Fandom?

Hi everyone! A lot of times in the last few years, as Dawson’s Creek became more and more of a bad joke that I was embarrassed to watch, I actually had more fun participating on the threads here and on the Spoilers board than I did watching the show itself. The Dawson’s Creek fandom had a lot of interesting people who posted here and at other Dawson’s Creek related messages boards, so I’d like to ask you: what were your favorite memories of being a part of the Dawson’s Creek fandom?

I have so many great memories of being a part of the Dawson’s Creek fandom, and I also ended up making some great friends through participating here, and a few of those people ended up becoming real life friends that I’ve had the pleasure of meeting in person, while other people faded into cyber space, but still, for the most part, with one or two notable exceptions, I really enjoyed interacting with everyone I encountered here and at other Dawson’s Creek related message boards. As I was writing this, I know that I’m leaving out a lot of great memories and people, too numerous to name, but my posts are always too long anyway (as I’ve been pointedly told sometimes over the years ), so here are a few of my favorite memories of being a part of the Dawson’s Creek fandom:

1. Apple Bonker and his hilariously off the wall posts, like saying that Gretchen was like a used car, and that Jen was very “jenerous” with her sexual favors to Dawson, or that watching Dawson’s Creek was like watching the fall of the Roman empire.

2. Jill Leigh’s habit of calling the actors “Mr. Van Der Beek,” or Ms. Holmes,” and watching other people like pila and Kimba comment on her doing that.

3. The “epic” Stela and Julialex battles, as these two New Yawkers traded quips and insults.

4. The pointed comments that the various “spoiler goddesses” would use when they knew something that would tick off the opposing side, like D/J. So. Over. and “Whitey thinks the finale is going to be super sexy.” Also all the “wink, wink, nudge, nudge” comments that certain people “in the know” would make, and how they’d get all indignant when someone would call them on those tactics.

5. The Queen Rebel’s hilarious graphics, like “Dancing Dawson,” and the “Jamesy” series.

6. The false spoilers that would be put out there by The Powers That Be to mislead all of us, like when it was said that Dawson was going to attempt suicide after he discovered Joey and Charlie having sex in the 100th episode.

7. Jenn23’s hilarious titles for the Spoiler threads.

8. The hopeful optimism of people like Frances, who never wavered in her love of Dawson and Joey.

9. Chi159’s and Monica M’s always well written and insightful episode commentaries.

10. Mal P’s always optimistic episode commentaries.

11. The Jaycee and Joske battles. Remember when I told them that they used to banter like Pacey and Joey?

12. The couple wars, when both sides were equally matched, and the barbs exchanged were hilarious, like the “puppy” comments versus the “napkin” comments.

13. Padawan’s diatribes against Pacey.

14. Sarah Connor’s posting all those “victory” pictures after we found out that Pacey and Joey were going to end up together.

15. All the people who posted here over the years, most of whom are no longer around, but for a certain time in our cyber life, man, we had a great group of people that posted here, and I really had a blast being a part of it all.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Part-Time Fan

Wow Jerry, I think you touched on just about everything that made this fandom fun. I was very new to the internet fandom when Winter Tale aired. Being a PJ fan, it was great week to be a newbie. I actually hadn't even found FF yet, but they were talking about it at MBTV so I eventually found my way over here. But the thing that made my first week, was over at MBTV, diesel made a fanart (I didn't even know what those were) of one of the publicity photos and it was called "Witter Tail", I laughed all week over that.

One thing that happened towards the end of season 6, when things were a little tense on both sides of the couple wars, if LethalCandy showed up, there was sure to be a mod just a few posts later telling us all to behave.

I also loved how one new little snippet of a spoiler could change the whole mood on the spoilers thread. Talk about an emotional roller coaster.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Yeah, I remember in the last few months, the Dawsons Creek Spoilers thread was virtually a free for all, as the moderators were hardly around, and it was so hilarious. People would write me asking me to do something over there, but I was having too much fun, so I only stepped in a few times, when people got too nasty. Then, right towards the very end, Liz started actively moderating that thread again, and she deleted all of Sarah Connor's victory pictures, and people wrote me asking why is Liz spoiling all our fun? [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Good times, good times. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 02-12-2004, 10:29 PM
Master Fan

- Knowing exactly what was going on behind closed doors by the people who posted, or didnt post, on the spoilers board. We knew when the DJers disappeared things were looking good.

- When you could answer a thread and post and there'll be 15 replies already up.

- taubman and the magical DJ alternative ending that somewhow made it to Australia to him while bypassing everyone here in the States that would show up in the last 5 minutes of the finale. Then...surely...on the DVD.

- Fun with lethal andie! Too many good times to mention.

- 4 words "Will Andie be back?"

- Making up fake interviews with Kevin Williamson

- The actors messing with the fans about the finale. Like Josh signing Candace's poster "Enjoy the finale!" fully knowing she was a DJer.

[ 02-12-2004: Message edited Sugz ]
Sugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Another moment that was hilarious was when joske said that Dawson and Joey would burn his bed after having sex on it. That was one of the funniest things I ever read. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2004, 02:00 AM
Extreme Fan

Oh I feel bad I missed all this.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by COOLCAT200:
<STRONG>Oh I feel bad I missed all this.</STRONG>
Yeah, it was a blast. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I wish that more people would come here and reminisce, but oh well. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2004, 09:44 AM
Master Fan

You know, it almost seems like one big blur at this point. I know there are tons of little here and there things that happened through out the course of a thread that cracked me up or that seemed classic at the time but I cant remember now. Sort of like the fandom years sort of melded together into one big era of amusement.

I remember it being really fun writing SuperFics on the snail. And meeting Josh on the beach in Wrightsville and I consider that fandom because we met "fandom" in Wilmy lol. I remember when Liz used to post a lot and be a source on the spoiler board, thenshe dropped off. I remember Jill and her virtual "Ask Me To Stay" plea and I remember being really new to the fandom when that happened. I remember the issues everyone constantly took through the years with Wanda and the desktop dollies and I remember Frances saying she was a DC writer then saying it was just an April Fools joke but I wasnt really in the fandom at that point so I only heard part of that story. I remember "FF Survivor" at PN where we voted off FF DJers lol and I remember the "riots" that ensued when the promo for "A Winters Tale" aired. Some people just wouldnt believe it til they saw it.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:57 PM
MST Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Sugz:
<STRONG>I remember it being really fun writing SuperFics on the snail. </STRONG>
Ah, those were the days. I loved writing the SuperFics. I think we're still waiting on an epilogue from someone. Hee.

Jerry- Your post brought back some memories! Hilarious.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

I really wasnt here in the dawsons creek fandom, at all because at the time i was over at the roswell boards cheering for the series finale over there, but i do remember being here and having a few memories of my own.

Having the humogus p.j/d/j fights when at the time i was a fan and still fan of both...

thats really all i remember i wish i had more but oh well.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:58 PM
Part-Time Fan

When did Josh sign a poster for Candace.. where was she when we met and talked to the whole cast the last day of filming.. I want to see this poster. Or was this at the goodbye ceremony.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:37 PM
Master Fan

I dunno the life and times of Candace in Wilmy, its just something I remember her posting at PMS, thought it was funny.

[ 02-15-2004: Message edited Sugz ]
Old 02-15-2004, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>- Making up fake interviews with Kevin Williamson</STRONG>
[img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img]

Best April Fool's prank EVER.

[ 02-15-2004: Message edited Jenn23 ]
Old 02-15-2004, 11:41 PM
Elite Fan

hmm..

To just pick out a couple things:

* When us aussies finished a whole thread in one night [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] (We were also on msn messenger) [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

* Sprinkled cookies!

hehe...I don't know where they got to but [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] they were a laugh

[ 02-15-2004: Message edited p&j =true luv ]
Kyls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 12:13 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>I remember when Liz used to post a lot and be a source on the spoiler board, thenshe dropped off.</STRONG>
I vaugely remember Liz posting episode commentaries while the ep was running that I thought were funny at the time but I was a D/Jer then, so who knows. That ended fairly soon after I signed up though.

Quote:
I remember Jill and her virtual "Ask Me To Stay" plea
That was so funny. The best was when she'd get all pissed off when P/Jers would accuse her of adding bias to her compilation. Good times.

Quote:
I remember Frances saying she was a DC writer then saying it was just an April Fools joke
I sorta remember that. But, like you said, everything's pretty blurry at this point. I wish I'd kept a fandom journal that I could refer to now.

Quote:
I remember the "riots" that ensued when the promo for "A Winters Tale" aired. Some people just wouldnt believe it til they saw it.
Yeah, all the D/Jers were screaming about misleading promos and crap. It was hilarious.

My personal favorite time in the fandom was the end of season 3 on the spoilers board. People were seriously convinced that the spoilers for True Love were false because it was too cheesy. Although the last few months on the spoilers board gave season three a run for its money.
* Heather * is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread