Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2003, 06:23 AM
Part-Time Fan

UK Thread #4...now home on Five

I thought I would start up the new thread in case any of the ‘old’ UK posters still had anything to say. Let me know what you want to call it as the title is just temporary.

Well I finally got the Finale DVD (the S2 set is in the post apparently) so you can read my comments on it if interested:

It played on my multiregion player without a problem, as I would have expected and there was no indication of it being RCE encoded. Picture quality was okay but certainly no better than that broadcast by E4. The one thing that did throw me was that the format is in Fullscreen rather than Widescreen, so that took a bit of getting used to after seeing it Widescreen on E4. Sound seemed muted and flat and I had to crank up the volume quite a bit but maybe this was because I was playing it through the TV rather than my home cinema system.

So what did it add to the Finale that the broadcast version left out? Not a lot in my opinion. There were a number of additional scenes but very few of these really added anything to the storyline or filled in the gaps that we discussed earlier. Some of the additions were nothing more than a couple of extra lines of dialogue. The only thing that did add was some extra scenes with Joey that explains why she was not initially going to the wedding but subsequently turned up (and then went on to break up with her boyfriend). There was an early scene with Joey and Dawson meeting up before Capeside where it becomes evident that despite Joey trying to keep in touch with him he never replied. The most bizarre inclusion is a scene with Andie, at the hospital where Jen is, who we find out earlier (when the gang are sitting drinking) is now a Doctor. It becomes evident that she has come to Capeside because of Jen’s illness but we are therefore left to surmise that she was not invited to the wedding. She also comments to Pacey that she will stick around as long as necessary but we never see her again.

Unless you are a die hard fan I would not recommend spending £16 on buying this as it really does nothing to make the Finale any better than the version broadcast here. The extras on it are nothing more than throw away additions, which consist of footage at the end of the Pilot where Dawson sees his Mother kissing her TV partner and two scenes with the original actor that was to play Dawson’s Father.

I’ll post my views on the S2 set once I have had time to watch it (and once it arrives).

[ 12-31-2003: Message edited Camdish ]
Old 12-20-2003, 01:42 PM
Loyal Fan

I agree that it doesn't add much to the storyline as a whole. The extras, like the D/J scene at the gas station has the usual awkwardness that epitomises that kind of 'what are we really to each other' vibe they always have. It certainly doesn't scream sexual tension to me. It gives us continuity in that D/J did not keep in touch with each other, just like practically all the summers they spent apart during hight school. I thought it was quite amusing that they both had the same car. I assume this was to underline the fact that they are soulmates and soulmates are supposed to be in tune with each other. Er, except D/J have very rarely been in tune with ech other since the very first season!

I did like the extra scene between Pacey and Doug, if only for Pacey's line about why he couldn't be Pacey Witter and bad! Heh!

Andie's scenes added nothing whatsoever. She was there becaue initially she would have been a consolation prize for Pacey and for nostalgia reasons. I didn't miss Andie in the aired version and in the DVD version I suppose it was nice that she was there for Pacey to once again tell her that she had a very dear place in his heart. Nothing we don't already know even though he's never mentioned her since she left! To be honest I couldn't find it believable that she was a doctor, but hey ho.

But really, these extra scenes merely smooth the rough edges of the aired finale which was quite choppy because it had to be cut down because of time constraints. I'm very happy with my extended finale DVD. Love it.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:57 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by onthebalance:

Hi, just thought i'd let everyone know that the last series of dc starts showing on five at 2.00pm on saturday!!
not a great time, but having already seen it on e4, i was looking forward to watching the eps again!!
Sugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:59 AM
Obsessed Fan

hi, thanks for moving my post, i didnt see a uk thread and thought that i would let people know it is showing on five!!

but thanks for the info on the finale dvd, i was planning to buy it but not sure i will after what you said.
onthebalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 07:46 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>Hi, just thought i'd let everyone know that the last series of dc starts showing on five at 2.00pm on saturday!! not a great time, but having already seen it on e4, i was looking forward to watching the eps
again!! </STRONG>
Great news!!! Thanks for the note - I didn't know this till now [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Lets hope Ch 5 doesn't edit it - after all, it's at 2pm [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I'm looking forward to seeing any Ch 5 DC S6 Adverts though [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Bye for now,

Big DC Fan

1.45pm
Big DC Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 04:39 PM
Obsessed Fan

hi, i am not 100% sure of the time, will check it tommorrow and post the exact time later, but it is definately on saturday afternoon around 2.00pm.

i'm sure they will have to cut it, which is a shame as i wanted to record the finale when it showed again.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:58 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>i'm sure they will have to cut it, which is a shame as i wanted to record the finale when it showed again.</STRONG>
What edits do you anticipate from the Finale episode? Some of Jen's dialogue when they're all together at Pacey's Restaurant perhaps... Can't think of anything else to hand.

Big DC Fan

9.58am
Old 12-30-2003, 08:12 AM
Obsessed Fan

hi, dc is on at 1.55pm on saturday, so around 2pm was right!!

i guess you are right there would be that many cuts as it was shown in the afternoon on c4 anyway, i just liked seeing it shown in an evening slot.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:25 AM
Part-Time Fan

But you have to admit...The DVD version is much much better then the aired version??
dcforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 11:39 AM
Obsessed Fan

hi, just a quick reminder about the episodes starting tommorrow on five!!
Old 01-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>hi, just a quick reminder about the episodes starting tommorrow on five!!</STRONG>
Yup, how could we forget [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Anyone seen any adverts yet on Channel 5 for Season 6?

Big DC Fan

5.50pm
Old 01-03-2004, 06:25 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Big DC Fan:
<STRONG>Yup, how could we forget [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Anyone seen any adverts yet on Channel 5 for Season 6?

Big DC Fan

5.50pm</STRONG>
hi, i managed to catch an advert as they are advertising between h&a, its just a general advert to let people know it has changed channel!!
Old 01-03-2004, 04:21 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
<STRONG> Hi, i managed to catch an advert as they are advertising between h&a, its just a general advert to let people know it has changed channel!!</STRONG>
Was it a clip of the DC Cast? Or was it just a purple screen with the Theme Tune in the background with text over the top? (Sorry for being vague, I was on the phone and wasn't concentrating 100% on the advert).

I liked at the advert breaks the little clip of Joey running [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] It would be good if each episode had a different clip from that particular episode [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Big DC Fan
Old 01-05-2004, 06:35 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Big DC Fan:
<STRONG>Was it a clip of the DC Cast? Or was it just a purple screen with the Theme Tune in the background with text over the top? (Sorry for being vague, I was on the phone and wasn't concentrating 100% on the advert).
Big DC Fan</STRONG>
hi, yeah it was just the purple screen with the theme tune, wasnt really a great advert but at ;east they are trying.

five arent very good with adverts though so i wouldnt expect there to be new ones each week.

did you watch the show, i didnt manage to catch it.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
<STRONG> did you watch the show, i didnt manage to catch it.</STRONG>
Yeah I did, I was watching it about 95% of the time, it was in the background whilst I was doing things - didn't notice any editing from the E4 version.

Big DC Fan
Reply   Post New Thread