Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2004, 05:48 AM
Part-Time Fan

Favorite Hogwarts Teacher

Who is your favorite teacher and why?

Well I like Professor Remus John Lupin.

When I read the third Harry Potter book, Prisoner of Azkaban, I was really curious about him when he was first introduced.

As I read I found out the way he acted and responded to situations, and was a very good character.

From then on I have liked him ever since and want to learn more about him every day.

======================================================================

A Portkey has been created for this topic.
Just click on this title in the list and be transported immediately.
Stargate Fan
Mutant X Fan

Last edited by * Marauder's Child *; 07-17-2004 at 01:25 PM
Heero Yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 07:56 AM
Addicted Fan

Snape. Best character in the whole Potterverse, for my money.

I also really love teachers like him, believe it or not. Well, mostly. He plays favorites, but if you do the work right you get the grade. I had one teacher who played favorites to the extreme that only her favorite sstudents had a chance of getting a good grade, no matter what.
Crossbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 08:29 AM
Addicted Fan

Lupin, Flitwick and Snape. Without a doubt ^_^.
Avie: Isis2015
Novlótë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 09:19 AM
Loyal Fan

My favorite Hogwarts Professors:

Well, as a reader, I'd have to say Snape.
I just find his character very intriguing, and you'd always expect his lessons to be interesting.

He may be a bit grating at times, and he does stike fear into the hearts of some of the less strong-hearted people (case in point: Neville), but I believe that at the end of the day, all of his students would have learned something, and would remember the most basic and/or practical potions. Rather than if they were mollycuddled when being taught potions.

BUT, if I were a student at Hogwarts, and I think my favorites would be Lupin & fake!Mad Eye Moody.

Lupin: He just has a way of motivating his students in just the right way, I like the fact that he's not spoon-feeding them, and yet, he's not to fearsome to the point when you'd be far too afraid to raise a question in class in case you didn't understand something.

Mad Eye: I'd probably find his background as a tough-as-nails Auror to be very interesting, and just like Fred, George & Lee, I'd be in awe with the fact that he doesn't just know what he is teaching, He has lived it.

I also liked his approach in teaching. It was very hands-on, which just fits the lesson that he's teaching, seeing as it's Defense against the Dark Arts. There are just some things you can't learn by just reading books, you have to put it into practice.
And somewhere... a man reunites w/ his bestfriend.

The Dog Star would forever shine in the night sky... and you will always be in our hearts.
Rest in peace, Messr. Padfoot. Have a safe journey home.

~ Sadé
* Marauder's Child * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Loyal Fan

Snape-like teacher

Quote:
Originally posted by Crossbow
Snape. Best character in the whole Potterverse, for my money.

I also really love teachers like him, believe it or not. Well, mostly. He plays favorites, but if you do the work right you get the grade. I had one teacher who played favorites to the extreme that only her favorite sstudents had a chance of getting a good grade, no matter what.
I also had a teacher played favorites. There was a way of knowing if she likes you or not. Most students are called by their surnames, some are called Miss <Surname>, and her favorites she calls by their first names. *shakes head*

She also kinda reminds me of Snape.
She taught Trigonometry, and if the subject alone wasn't enough to make a few people a little queasy, she has a constant scowl on her face and way of looking at her less stellar students that just screams "You. Are. Too. Dumb."

Before her class, most students would be fidgeting and reading and re-reading the day's assigned chapter. She usually just calls on people to answer her questions and then make you stand up and grill you to know if you are familiar with the day's topic. I've personally seen some people cry.

But then, I realized that although she didn't make a lot of fans, and the students are a bit wary of her when they see her. At the end of the day, she got her students motivated in learning the day's lesson instead of just going to class unprepared and waiting for the teacher to "tell them all about it".

Her students learned more from her in a year, than from any other

But I also saw some problems with her approach. Her students are just far too afraid of her. Even when they didn't understand what she just said and have questions, they never raise their hands and ask for a clarification. And in a subject (like Math) where it's important to actually understand the lesson, and not just memorize it, asking questions if you didn't understand is important!

After each lesson, she would ask: "Understood?", with her eyebrows cocked.
And if you'd look around at ALL the confused faces, it's obvious that not everyone did.
But noone would dare ask their question.

But yeah, I get what you're saying.
"Miss terror" is one of my favorite teachers of all time!
I still look back at her lessons with fond memories...

What?!
She calls me by my first name!
And somewhere... a man reunites w/ his bestfriend.

The Dog Star would forever shine in the night sky... and you will always be in our hearts.
Rest in peace, Messr. Padfoot. Have a safe journey home.

~ Sadé
* Marauder's Child * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 12:02 PM
Supreme Fan

Excluding Dumbledore, I really like Lupin, McGonagall, and Snape
Lupin: he's one of my favorite characters so I might be a bit bias when it comes to his teaching, but I really think he's one of the best teachers Hogwarts has. He made the students feel good about themselves, and they seemed to learn a lot too..
McGonagall: so I really don't know much about her teaching, but she kicks butt otherwise! I mean, c'mon..the whole Umbridge thing?
Snape: He's really complex...as a character he's really interesting and as a teacher - well, he can be a jerk, but oh well

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Gabriela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 03:54 PM
Addicted Fan

*sigh* Snape is both my favorite Hogwarts teacher and my favorite character from the series. It seems to me that his students, though afraid of him, learn a lot more than they would from a teacher who did not expect so *much.* He *is* unreasonable when it comes to Harry. One of his downfalls.

Gabrielle
Old 05-16-2004, 04:00 PM
Part-Time Fan

Oh yes..I forgot to add Snape to my list.

I also like him because he seems so mysterious and I want to know more about him and his past history.
Stargate Fan
Mutant X Fan
Heero Yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 04:08 PM
Passionate Fan

My favourite teachers are probably Lupin and Flitwick.

Lupin: Lupin is a really cool character. He acts like a father figure towards Harry, yet he's not extremely interfering like some father figures can be (I am NOT referring to Sirius here!!!). He really knows his stuff, and he's intelligent and kind (the whole sticking-up-for-Neville-around-Snape thing). He just seems like a really cool teacher.

Flitwick: I'm not quite sure what it is about Flitwick that I like so much. Maybe it's cause he's such a small litte guy, you can't help but love him! He seems really nice and adorable, I guess.

I think that I'd like Professor Vector too, if we ever got to meet her. But I could be wrong. I like McGonagall too - she's strict, down-to-business, yet extremely fair and knowledgeable. She's the kind of person you fear slightly yet have extreme amounts of respect for. You know?
EphramIsHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Addicted Fan

I also like Snape as a teacher because I've always enjoyed teachers who really know their stuff, even if they're rude. I had this drawing teacher who was a total hardass to everyone, and she ripped apart everything I ever drew for her, but darned if I didn't learn more from her than all my other drawing teachers put together.
Crossbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 10:32 PM
Elite Fan

remus lupin and minerva mcgonagall are tied as my favorite.
roswellcharmed_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 09:26 PM
Extreme Fan

FLITWICK, cuz he is so cool!
Old 05-19-2004, 11:07 PM
Extreme Fan

My top ones would be Lupin and McGonagall. Lupin is one of my favorite characters period....but he was also an excellent and fair teacher,,,and taught the kids more than any other DADA teacher...
McGonagall is strict but fair and caring....she has the students best interests in mind...and I love her wit at times... "Would you like a cough drop Dolores?" LOVE IT!!! I alos love the confidence and devotion she showed to Harry about helping him become an Auror.

Snape I love as a character because he is so intrigiung and mysterious, but as a teacher in specific not as much....

And of course Dumbledore... I also agree Flitwick is pretty cool....
Old 05-20-2004, 02:12 AM
Loyal Fan

Lupin and Snape are my favourites, for, different as they can be they know their stuff! And Lupin gives out chocolate! No, really, I feel that he cares so much for his students and is a role model for teachers today
Old 05-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Loyal Fan

If I was a student, my favorites would probably be Lupin and Flitwick. Lupin because he's just so cool, and Flitwick because he's nice and kind of a pushover

But my actual favorite teachers as a reader are Lupin and McGonagall. When Umbridge was giving McGonagall her inspection, I was just cracking up. McGonagall is so funny!

"It does not say that."

"You're right. But it would be so classic if it did."
Chippewa Falls Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top