Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Elite Fan

Angel episode discussion 4x15: Orpheus

Faith has tricked Angelus into feeding on her, thus imbibing a powerful narcotic along with her blood. Now both of them lay near death, observing the turmoil that is Angel's conscience as they fight against the mystical drug. Meanwhile, the gang brings an old friend from Sunnydale to help with the search for Angel's lost soul.

---
From TV.com
Old 05-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Elite Fan

This episode is okay. I'm not a big fan of Willow so I didn't care much for her crossover. I liked watching her and Cordy fight though, it was amusing. Also this scene was hilarious:

CONNOR: Faith really did a number on him.
CORDELIA: (punches Connor, pushing him down) What the hell is it with you and Faith!?

I was surprised by that reaction and thought it was pretty amusing. Poor Connor's mind had become more and more warped by her in each episode and it's irritating watching how naive he can be.
kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Master Fan

Yeah i wasn't a big fan of this episode
Old 05-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

This episode was awesome.
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Elite Fan

"You totally just saved a puppy!"
"I am in hell!"
Old 05-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Master Fan

Love this episode. The Angelus/Faith stuff was great.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Part-Time Fan

ORPHEUS
The Good;
Fabulous, the wonderful flashbacks and Faith and Willow working together with AI, just amazing!
The Bad;
All too wonderful for anything like that. A bit stupid that they put Ally's name in the opening titles, spoils the suprise of her appearance somewhat.
Best line;
Faith; "Dust in the wind. Candle in the wind. There'll be a general wind theme"
plus
CC; "Oh sh...!"
and flapper "Pound snow you mook!"
Jeez, how did they get away with that?
2 headed foetal pigs? Yuck!
Apocalypses: 5
Angel Cliches
Inverting the Hollywood cliche;
In disguise; 8
DB get's his shirt off; 12
Cheap Angel; 6
Fang Gang in bondage: Angel chained up at the end
Cordy: 5
Angel: 14
Wes: 6
Gunn; 4
Lorne; 4
Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out: Faith in a coma, again! Gunn knocked out by Connor
Cordy: 15
Angel: 16
Wes: 5
Doyle; 1
Gunn; 2
Lorne; 5
Groo; 1
Connor; 1
Faith; 1
Kills;
Cordy: 5 vamps, 3½ demons
Angel; 41 vamps, 57 and 1/2 demons, 5 zombies, 8 humans
Doyle; 1 vamp
Wes; 12 demons+4 vamps, 5 zombies, 2 humans
Kate; 3 vamps
Faith; 18 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.
Gunn; 11 vamps+ 13 demons, 5 zombies, 1 human.
Groo; 1 demon
Fred; 3 vamp+ 1 demon, 5 zombies
Connor; 13 vamps, 5 zombies, 2 demons
Fang Gang go evil:
Cordy: 3
Angel: 3
Gunn; 1
Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang:
Cordy: 4
Angel: 10
Fred; 2
Wes; 1
Gunn; 1

Characters killed:
Recurring characters killed;
9;
Total number of Angel Investigations:
Angel, Gunn, Fred, Lorne, Wes, CC, Connor, Faith

Angel Investigations shot:
Angel: 12
Wes; 1
Wes; 7
Doyle; 1
Angel; 3
Gunn; 2
Packing heat;
Wes; 8
Doyle; 1
Angel; 3
Gunn; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:
Cordy: 5 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis+Groo+Connor plus possibly The Beast
Angel: 5; Buffy, Darla and The Transcending Furies
Wes; 3; Virginia, the bleached blonde and Lilah
Gunn; 1 Fred
Fred; 1 Gunn
Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
CC accuses Connor of liking the way Faith 'cracked her whip' and thinks he wants to be in her 'leather clad lap'. Wes tells Willow about having a woman chained in a closet, she seems more intrigued than shocked. Angelus refers to keeping Faith's thighs warm. CC and Connor's relationship is described as 'icky'. Faith says of Connor 'Break me off a switch, there's going to be a whipping!". Angelus refers to 'eating' his mama!!!!
Captain Subtext;
Willow describes Connor as handsome and androgynous, hmmmm? Plenty of Fred/Willow subtext, even Wes gives a little look when Willow strokes Fred's chin, especially when Willow asks 'What's Fred's story?' and speaks of 'The call of Fred'. Fred wants to discuss Baachanals with Willow. However she later tells Fred 'I'm seeing someone' by which she means Kennedy back in Sunnydale. Faith calls Angelus 'princess'.
Know the face, different character; 4
Parking garages;
Guantanamo Bay;
Buffy characters on Angel; 16
Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony
What the fanficcers thought;
Not much fic on this ep itself but quite a lot on Willow and Faith's drive back to Sunnydale which must have been a pretty awkward trip. They normally go along the lines of Faith apologising for what she's done followed by Willow forgiving her and explaining her own dark deeds. Then they stop at a motel and have a night of lesbian sex. After all, Willow says that she 'got a Slayer' out of helping Angel Investigations.

Missing scenes;
According to the commentary we have an extra scene where Faith and Angelus see Angel discovering the Hyperion? Why not include that on special edition DVDs?

Questions and observations;
Willow makes her 3rd appearance on Angel. This is actually quite momentous as it means she's actually the 2nd most prolific character in the Buffyverse. Angel is number 1 with 167eps (57eps of Buffy and 110 eps of his own show), Willow is 2nd with 147eps (144 eps of Buffy and 3 appearances on Angel) and Buffy herself is joint 3rd with 146eps (144 eps of her own show and 2 guest slots on Angel not counting archive footage taken from Buffy or the movie) with Cordy who also has 146 appearances (57 eps of Buffy and 89eps of Angel). Then comes Xander with 143 eps of Buffy (he's in every ep of Buffy except 'Conversations with Dead People'), Giles with 123 eps of Buffy, Spike with 120 (97 eps of Buffy and 23 of Angel) and Wes with 107 (6eps of Buffy and 101 of Angel).
I'm sure most Xena fans will recognise Adrienne Wilkinson who played Xena's daughter Livia/Eve as the flapper whose dog Angel saves. Met her at a convention once and she's beautiful and charming. Gina Torres, another Xena/Hercules alumni will turn up in a few eps time and Orpheus is the name of an early Xena ep.
The flashbacks help us track the various stages of Angel through the years. They basically fall down to;
1. Post resouling daze; (as seen in Darla)
2. Try to get back with Darla in Peking;
3. Coming to America; ('Orpheus')
4. Brooding loner; (up until the events of 'Are you now or ever have been?')
5. Hedonism aka The Manilow Years; (up until feeding on the guy in the doughnut shop in Orpheus)
6. Street tramp; (up until meeting Whistler in Becoming pt2)
7. Sunnydale
CC refers to Willow as Glinda, the good witch from The Wizard of Oz (Cordy herself doing a good impression of the Wizard behind the screen). If you haven't seen Wicked go immediately, it's great and you'll never watch TWOO the same way again. What a shame we never get Barry Manilow to guest star as he did on Will and Grace. Gunn once again tells Connor off, once again playing the father role to him. The guy who walks past Angel in the doughnut shop may have been doing cocaine and that's why his blood is racing. With the exception of flashback this will be the last time we see Angelus begging the question is he actually gone for good after Angel and Angelus' epic face off in the dreamworld.
Maybe I've been watching too many Michael Jackson tribute shows but everytime I see the 1920s sequence with it's flappers and zoot-suited fedora wearing wiseguys playing dice outside the speakeasy I keep expecting them to break into 'Smooth Criminal'?
Marks out of 10; 10/10 Faith AND Willow in the same episode of Angel, makes you want to cry with happiness! Rewatched this one 4 times! I know I previously said 5 by 5 was my favourite but actually this is my favourite although the Wes drops the knife bit is still my favourite moment ever
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:18 AM
Elite Fan

I just loved the Faith and Angelus scenes
*Lethe's Bramble* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

Me too, this was a great episode - especilly with Willow there too, it was like a mini reunion