Fan Forum

Fan Forum (https://www.fanforum.com/)
-   Arrested Development (https://www.fanforum.com/f179/)
-   -   AD: Q & A and FAQ's Thread (https://www.fanforum.com/f179/ad-q-faqs-thread-15303/)

Cursed 06-08-2004 04:31 AM

AD: Q & A and FAQ's Thread

I thought it would be fun if we had a thread where we could ask and answer questions about the show. And then maybe come up with a list of answers to the most frequently asked questions for quick reference.

Here, you can feel free to ask about anything you have ever wondered about regarding the show, such as "who played this character?," "whatever happened to...?" or, in case you didn't understand a joke or a reference made in the show, you can ask for the meaning. Someone on this board is bound to have the answer you're looking for.

Here are some Q & A's to start us off:

Who does the narration/voice-over for the show?
Ron Howard, one of the producers of Arrested Development. You may also remember him as 'Opie' on The Andy Griffith Show and as 'Richie' on Happy Days or as the director of such films as A Beautiful Mind, Apollo 13 and Splash.

Has the show been renewed?
Yes. The show has been renewed for a third season. It will air Mondays this fall and premiere September 19 at 8pm before Kitchen Confidential.

Is the show available on DVD?
Yes. The complete first season was released October 19, 2004 on a fantastic three disc DVD set. The second season is scheduled for a DVD release on October 11, 2005.

Is it true that the actress who play's Gob's Wife is really married to Will Arnett?
True. Amy Poehler has been married to Will Arnett, who plays Gob, since August of last year. Amy is best known for her work on Saturday Night Live and Comedy Central's Upright Citizens Brigade as well as roles in the movies Mean Girls and Envy.

Is it my imagination or was Marta played by two different actresses?
She was played by two different actresses. Marta was originally played by Leonar Varela in the episodes "Bringing Up Buster" and "Key Decisions". She was replaced by Patricia Velasquez in the episodes "My Mother the Car", "Storming the Castle", "Marta Complex" and "Beef Consomme."

What awards has the show won or been nominated for?

(Emmy information at bottom)

Won:Television Critics Association Awards - Best Comedy (2005)

Won: Writers Guild Awards - Category: Episodic Comedy for the episode "Pier Pressure" (Written by Jim Vallely & Mitchell Hurwitz) (2005)

Nominated: Golden Globes - Best Television Series, Musical or Comedy (2005) (Second year in a row)
Won: Golden Globes - Jason Bateman - Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series, Musical or Comedy (2005)

Nominated: People's Choice Awards - Favorite Television Comedy Series (2005)
Nominated: People's Choice Awards - Jason Bateman - Favorite Male TV Star (2005)

Nominated: Golden Globes - Best Television Series, Musical or Comedy (2004)

Won: Golden Satellite Awards - Best Television Series, Comedy or Musical (2004)
Won: Golden Satellite Awards - Jeffrey Tambor - Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Comedy or Musical (2004)
Won: Golden Satellite Awards - Jessica Walter - Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Comedy or Musical (2004)
Nominated: Golden Satellite Awards - David Cross - Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Comedy or Musical (2004)
Nominated: Golden Satellite Awards - Portia de Rossi - Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Comedy or Musical (2004)

Won: Art Directors Guild - Excellence in Production Design Award (2004)

Any Emmys?

Yes! The winner of Outstanding Comedy earned seven nominations and won five of them in 2004 and proceeded to earn an astounding eleven more nominations in 2005:

2004:

WON

* Outstanding Comedy Series
* Outstanding Casting, Comedy
* Outstanding Directing, Comedy ("Pilot")
* Outstanding Single-Picture Editing, Comedy ("Pilot")
* Outstanding Writing, Comedy

Nominated

* Outstanding Supporting Actor, Comedy (Jeffrey Tambor)
* Outstanding Art Direction (Multi-Camera Series)

The episodes submitted for Emmy consideration in 2004 were "Pilot," "Pier Pressure" and "Beef Consomme."

Nominated

* Outstanding Lead Actor, Comedy (Jason Bateman)
* Outstanding Supporting Actress, Comedy (Jessica Walter)
* Outstanding Single-Picture Editing, Comedy ("Motherboy XXX")
* Outstanding Single-Picture Editing, Comedy ("Let 'Em Eat Cake")
* Outstanding Single-Picture Editing, Comedy ("Good Grief")
* Outstanding Writing, Comedy ("Sad Sack")
* Outstanding Writing, Comedy ("Sword of Destiny")
* Outstanding Writing, Comedy ("The Righteous Brothers")

This year's Emmy Awards will be handed out September 2005!

Cress 06-08-2004 09:23 AM

I have a question.

I heard that season 1 DVDs were coming out this summer. Does anybody know anything more specific about the release date or what kind of extras will be on the DVDs?

OOPS. Sorry. I didn't see that there was a DVD thread yet. So I guess all we know now is that it will come out in "late summer."

Cursed 06-08-2004 02:26 PM

It's a good question though. I'm going to add it to the intro.

Peanut 06-14-2004 03:38 PM

I have a question. I must have missed something somewhere...but anyway...what is the exact relationship of George Michael and Maeby? Are they blood related or not?

.one.ray.of.sunlight. 06-14-2004 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PPD
I have a question. I must have missed something somewhere...but anyway...what is the exact relationship of George Michael and Maeby? Are they blood related or not?
I'm pretty sure they are blood-related. GM though Maeby might have been adopted at one point. Lindsay(Maeby's mom) and Michael (George Micheal's dare) are twins, so it makes GM and M cousins.

Vacate 06-15-2004 11:38 AM

Question -- anyone know any good AD websites?

Cress 06-15-2004 11:41 AM

Visit the-op.com. It's an AD fan website with pictures, transcripts, quotes, and lots more.

Cursed 06-18-2004 09:20 AM

That's an excellent site. It really captures the spirit of the show :thumbs_up:

Gleebo 06-22-2004 04:28 AM

You can add to that list the episodes that the show submitted for consideration for Emmy Nominations

They submitted the following
Pilot
Pier Pressure
Beef Consomme

If you want a more detailed breakdown of all the "For Your Emmy Consideration" let me know I have em all.

Cursed 06-22-2004 10:18 AM

I added those episodes under a new question. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally posted by Gleebo

If you want a more detailed breakdown of all the "For Your Emmy Consideration" let me know I have em all.

Sure!

Gleebo 06-23-2004 06:19 PM

Ill do it as soon as I get back from work in the morning.

storme 07-13-2004 10:39 AM

Keep it up!

I really like this FAQ thread. Now I know when the show will resume, and I'm going to check out the new site for AD.

TTYL!

Gleebo 07-13-2004 12:34 PM

Okay I promised this a long time ago, but here is the rundown of "For Your Emmy Consideration" from the DVD they sent to the critics

Outstanding Comedy Series
Brian Grazer, Ron Howard, David Nevins, Mitchell Hurwitz - Executive Producers
John Levenstein, Richard Rosenstock - Co-Executive Producers
Chuck Martin - Supervising Producer
Barbie Feldman Adler, Victor Hsu - Producers

Lead Actor
Jason Bateman as "Michael Bluth"

Supporting Actor
Jeffrey Tambor as "George Bluth"
Will Arnett as "George Oscar Bluth"
Michael Cera as "George Michael Bluth"
David Cross as "Tobias Funke"

Supporting Actress
Jesssica Walter as "Lucille Bluth"
Portia de Rossi as "Lindsay Bluth Funke"
Alia Shawkat as "Maeby Funke"

Guest Actor
Henry Winkler as "Barry Zuckercorn"

Guest Actress
Julia Louis-Dreyfus as "Maggie Lizer"
Judy Greer as "Kitty"
Liza Minelli as "Lucille 2"

Cress 07-13-2004 12:47 PM

Cool! I can't wait to see who got nominated on Thursday. I'm going nuts here!

Gleebo 07-13-2004 12:58 PM

No kidding, we should clean up at the Emmy noms but you never know.

Cress 07-15-2004 06:25 AM

:yay: Seven Emmy nominations!

* Outstanding Art Direction (Multi-Camera Series)
* Outstanding Directing, Comedy ("Pilot")
* Outstanding Single-Picture Editing, Comedy ("Pilot")
* Outstanding Writing, Comedy

Let's hope it wins a lot.

Cursed 07-15-2004 12:37 PM

The Emmy noms have been added, thanks Cress.

I'd like AD to win all 7 awards, but if it had to be just one I hope it'll be the Outstanding Comedy Series Emmy.

Cress 07-15-2004 12:41 PM

You're welcome. :) Yeah, I hope AD wins for Outstanding Comedy. It's the funniest show on TV these days.

Cress 07-20-2004 03:05 PM

Oh my God! THey just announced the date for the DVDs! It's October 19th!

See http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1930 for what's included, and a picture of the DVD cover.

I'm so happy! But wait! They say that the second season premieres on November 7, not on Halloween. What?

Cursed 07-22-2004 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cress
They say that the second season premieres on November 7, not on Halloween. What?
Yeah, that sruck me as odd too. It may not be wrong though, since they got the info from FOX.

*~*Sparkle*~* 07-29-2004 11:11 AM

I have a question: does anyone know why the role of Marta was recast?

As for the Emmy Noms; I really hope that AD walks away with Best Comedy Series, and it definately deserves the Emmy for Best Casting; the cast portray the characters perfectly.

Chelsea :bubble:

Cress 07-30-2004 07:29 AM

I don't know for sure. The producers said that the first actress was "taking the character in a direction we didn't intend" or something like that. I don't know what they mean by that. I personally like Marta 1.0 better than Marta 2.0

Here's a funny article at the-op.com. It's a parody of both the actress switch, and the recent uproar about Fox stealing reality show ideas like The Contender and Trading Spouses from other networks.

*~*Sparkle*~* 07-30-2004 12:27 PM

Thanks for the information, Cress. That article and consequently the entire website is really entertaining.

I thought that Marta 1.0 had more chemistry with Michael than Marta 2.0, but I guess the producers didn't want too strong of a connection if she was only going to be on for a few episodes. Maybe they feared that Marta 1.0 was making the character too sentimental.

Cress 08-02-2004 07:27 AM

Yeah, the-op.com is a really great AD site! I think Marta 1.0 had great chemistry with Michael.

BTW, less than a hundred posts before I reach 500. Whoo-hoo!

*~*Sparkle*~* 08-02-2004 12:45 PM

Congrats on the post count!

I wonder if Marta will ever return...