Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-01-2004, 03:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Delta News Thread #2 - It's never quiet in Deltaland!

New thread! Post away!

And here's the last couple bits of news...

Posted by Rach:

Quote:
Tales from beyond the cities

By GEORGINA BOND
Long, tall yarns about the sunburned continent are being used in a campaign to combat a feeling of over-familiarity with Australia.

The Colenso BBDO campaign is using holiday stories about Uluru's changing colours and an Aussie rules match to remind New Zealanders of the hidden treasures across the ditch.

General manager Jon Ramage said the advertisements, which had no illustrations, were vastly different from traditional "picture postcard" tourism advertising, something he considered to be a brave approach.

"We believe the people we are talking to in New Zealand already know about things such as the kangaroo - they want something new."

Ramage said the advertisements were designed to grab the reader in the first sentence and to be difficult to tune out from.

If New Zealanders were captured by this storytelling technique, the agency would have achieved Tourism Australia's goal - to get Kiwis looking at Australia in a new way.

The tourism marketing body launched the New Zealand chapter of its $407 million global marketing campaign "Australia - a different light" in Auckland last week.

New Zealand is Australia's most mature source market. Almost 450,000 Kiwis visited in the first half of this year - up 25 per cent on the same period last year - so getting them across the Tasman isn't the problem.

Instead, the challenge lies in getting them to keep coming back, travel more widely, stay longer and spend more money.

Tourism Australia's regional manager for New Zealand, Karen Priest, said the campaign wanted to lift New Zealanders' travel aspirations beyond the traditional gateways of Sydney, Melbourne and the Gold Coast, and to encourage them to experience different aspects of Australia.

She said the campaign was a departure from a conventional reliance on Australia imagery. Kangaroos, koalas, the Sydney Opera House and shrimps on barbecues were out, in favour of the use of storytelling to promote a broader image of Australia, and to personalise experiences through the eyes of visitors, locals and well-known Australians.

In the first of Tourism Australia's series of quirky television commercials to hit our screens from Sunday, international cricket commentator Richie Benaud and singer Delta Goodrem give their take on Australia.

Priest said brand awareness of Australia was high in New Zealand, so instead of images Kiwis already knew, the aim was to show them experiences they might not know about.

Ramage said Colenso's print and online campaign had tried to emulate the way holiday experiences were spoken about socially - such as at a barbecue.

"In the same way that every person's experience of Australia is different, readers will take in a different experience from the advertisement," he said.

Although it had been tempting to use images "that's not the way people tell stories".
Posted by Fair Maiden:

Quote:
DELTA DEALS

Delta Goodrem had it all: stardom on the popular Australian soap Neighbours and a number one debut album in Innocent Eyes. Life was a dream come true for the 19-year-old pop star. And then she was diagnosed with cancer.

by Twila Falk

What's HERS: When did you start getting signs that you might be sick?
Delta Goodrem: I started to have night sweats and I lost a lot of weight – I’m a really good eater, so I couldn't really understand why I was losing so much weight. And I was basically really lethargic. More than anything, there was a tiredness and an unwell feeling. Then I found that I had a lump on my neck. The lump was very small at the start, but then it started to get bigger and bigger.

W/H: How did you find out that it was more than a lump?
DG: I had biopsies on the swollen tumor. Then they did blood tests. I was in the studio with my dearest of dear friends, Vince, who I wrote Innocent Eyes with. I was sitting there and my mom and my brother walked in and I could see on their faces that something was wrong and they said, 'We have to go back to the hospital. They think that you could have Hodgkin's Lymphoma,' which is a form of cancer. That's when my whole world changed.

W/H: Career-wise, what was going on in your life when this happened?
DG: I had the number one album and number one single that week (in Australia) and I had the number two album in the UK. Beyonce came in at number one and I came in at number two. I was working crazy hard.

W/H: Did you feel that you should be invisible to something like this because your career was going so well?
DG: Not at all. I believe everything happens for a reason and there are a lot of people out there who go through this all the time. If you can be chosen for success then you can be chosen for illness. It just goes to show that anything is possible.

W/H: How did your fans deal with it?
DG: I cannot begin to tell you how supportive my fans were. My house is still full of mail. The support was unbelievably humbling and overwhelming. It was an outpouring that I never expected.

W/H: Did other people in the entertainment biz provide support?
DG: Elton John called me every second week and he was so lovely and wonderful. And then there were lots of people in the industry, everybody I'd come across contacted me.

W/H: Is it possible to stay the same person after something like this?
DG: No, I don't think so. I think that if you do then you haven't learned anything from it.

W/H: Have you started singing again?
DG: I'm back to singing as much as I can without overdoing it. It's exciting to be back in the studio. It's taken a while, but I'm getting there.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:07 AM
Master Fan

Great start, and great title, Ellie! Thanks for re-posting the articles, and thanks again to Rach and Fair for posting 'em.

Quote:
Originally posted by *~*Rach*~*
I like Atled Merdoog! But yeah, thats a good idea, someone tell her about it

I haven't seen the "Say" video but if it's as bad as you say, then yeah, why would they WANT to release it?!
Glad you guys like Atled Merdoog. I'm definitely gonna mention it to her if I ever get the chance, I think.

The only sense I can make of it is that they want to shout out to the world, "we worked with Delta before she was famous, seee", and embarrass her in the process.

Quote:
Originally posted by -ellie-

And thanks for the articles guys. I love that Elton John called her every second week! I knew he had called her, but I assumed it was a once off things. That's sweet of him.
I wasn't aware he kept up such frequent correspondence with Delts either! It's very sweet and supportive of him indeed.

Yay that the Aus tourism campaign ads are finally hitting your screens, Rach!

i believe in miracles born from love in everyone
icon by *Evie
Old 10-01-2004, 06:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by *OvErPrOtEcTeD*

Glad you guys like Atled Merdoog. I'm definitely gonna mention it to her if I ever get the chance, I think.

I wasn't aware he kept up such frequent correspondence with Delts either! It's very sweet and supportive of him indeed.

Do they have PMs at Delta's offical forum? If they do, maybe we should PM her about the board? But then again, I'm sure she'd get bombarded with stuff if they do...

It is sweet! Aww, now I love Elton!
Old 10-01-2004, 06:45 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Delta is Brian's rock
LOVE-SPLIT singer BRIAN McFADDEN is being comforted by DELTA GOODREM.

The ex-Westlife star has been bombarding the pop beauty with a string of late-night calls after splitting from wife Kerry.

Brian has poured out his heart to the former Neighbours actress in a series of long telephone conversations.

Aussie Delta came to London two months ago to record a duet with Brian and they formed a close bond.

She was linked to Aussie tennis ace MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS but the relationship is believed to have fizzled out.

Pals of Delta, who has sold a million albums in the UK, say Brian calls her at least two or three times a day.

One told The Sun: “It’s a difficult time for Brian. But he is managing.

“Delta says he calls her at all times of the day and night to talk things through. They have formed a really close friendship.

“He’s so happy he met her. She’s like a breath of fresh air and he feels he can talk through his problems with her.”

Delta is flying back to the UK on October 21 to launch her album Mistaken Identity and the new single Out Of The Blue.

Delta ... shoulder to cry on

She has been battling Hodgkin’s disease, a type of cancer that affects the lymph glands, for the past year.

Delta began dating Philippoussis at the start of her illness after he sent her flowers in hospital. Delta supported him when he crashed out of Wimbledon in June.

News of Brian and Kerry’s split came as a huge shock to Westlife fans.

Brian quit the band to spend more time with I’m A Celeb winner Kerry and their two daughters.

But his debut solo single Real To Me went straight to No 1 and he has been plugging it all over Europe.

The Sun

Im doubting many parts of this article very much.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Delta and mark fizzled out? I don't know about that...

Wouldn't surprise me if she's helping Brian though, she seems very sweet and would do something like that for a friend. And Darren has said she gives him relationship advice too!
Old 10-01-2004, 07:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Well, here's another article about that one.

Quote:
Pop hunk eyes Delta
By Toby Forage
October 01, 2004

THE romance between chart-topping beauty Delta Goodrem and tennis star Mark Philippoussis may be over following reports the affair has "fizzled".

The Sun newspaper says Goodrem has caught the eye of Irish pop hunk Brian McFadden – with whom she has just recorded a duet.

McFadden, who recently split with his wife Kerry, shot to stardom in the UK as part of popular boy band Westlife, before embarking on a solo career.

Delta's reps in Australia could not be reached for comment today but The Sun reported that her much-publicised ardour for Aussie tennis flop Mark Philippoussis has "fizzled out".

Delta and McFadden have just wrapped recording on their duet and their friendship has reportedly continued outside the sound studio.

McFadden hinted at his affection for Delta when he told the Herald Sun after the recording: “Delta and I are not singing together but to each other ... She loved it."

Close friends of Delta, whose debut album Innocent Eyes sold more than one million copies in the hard-to-crack UK market on the back of her Neighbours success, told The Sun that McFadden "calls her at least two or three times a day".

"It's a difficult time for Brian. But he is managing," the paper quotes one source.

"Delta says he calls her at all times of the day and night to talk things through. They have formed a really close friendship.

"He's so happy he met her. She's like a breath of fresh air and he feels he can talk through his problems with her."

Philippoussis, meanwhile, has been in China, meekly surrendering his Shanghai Open crown to unknown American Glenn Weiner in the first round.

If the sensational reports from London about his girlfriend are true, there is every chance he had a much more than tennis on his mind in defending that tournament title.

Tennis pundits, in particular former Wimbledon champion Pat Cash, have also blamed the Scud's relationship with Delta for his loss of form on the courts.

News of the McFadden's split was a sensation in the UK, where Westlife was one of the biggest pop bands around. Kerry's star also rose when she won reality TV show I'm A Celebrity: Get Me Out Of Here.

McFadden's decision to quit Westlife and go solo was prompted by a desire to spend more time with his wife and two kids, but that dream was shattered with the release of his debut album, Real To Me.

It rocketed to No.1 on the UK charts, leaving McFadden no choice but to embark on a ruthless promotional tour of Europe, which reportedly led to the marriage break down.

Delta will be back in the UK later this month to launch her second album, Mistaken Identity, and a new single Out Of The Blue - a song reportedly reflecting her relationship with Philippoussis.

NEWS.com.au
I don't believe this stuff about Mark and Delta fizzling out though. They seem very in love and both are very busy people and are doing their own thing. It kind of bugs me when tabloids and so forth write things like this, jumping to conclusions and all that. It seems half the time they photograph two people together, or know they're friends, they automatically assume something is going on.

But the end of the article... Rach, looks like Delta will be back there doing some promo as well!
Old 10-01-2004, 08:19 AM
Master Fan

I'm pretty sure Delta's forum does have PMs, Ellie. I hadn't considered PMing her. It could work, unless admin disabled her account from receiving them. But as you say, she'd be bombarded with them. I'll have to make a mention of it via snail mail 'cause that way I know it'll reach her eventually.

Quote:

I don't believe this stuff about Mark and Delta fizzling out though. They seem very in love and both are very busy people and are doing their own thing. It kind of bugs me when tabloids and so forth write things like this, jumping to conclusions and all that. It seems half the time they photograph two people together, or know they're friends, they automatically assume something is going on.
Wow, they're some extreme speculations in those articles. ITA, they're always quick to pounce on celebrity relationships without feasible evidence. Also Delta and Brian have hardly known each other that long. They've worked together, and Delta, being as warm and caring as she is, would almost certainly have befriended him. But see how just because he's divorcing, the tabloids automatically think he must be seeking romantic solace in Delta?

icon by *Evie
Old 10-01-2004, 08:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Delta's forum does have PMs, Ellie. I hadn't considered PMing her. It could work, unless admin disabled her account from receiving them. But as you say, she'd be bombarded with them. I'll have to make a mention of it via snail mail 'cause that way I know it'll reach her eventually.

Wow, they're some extreme speculations in those articles. ITA, they're always quick to pounce on celebrity relationships without feasible evidence. Also Delta and Brian have hardly known each other that long. They've worked together, and Delta, being as warm and caring as she is, would almost certainly have befriended him. But see how just because he's divorcing, the tabloids automatically think he must be seeking romantic solace in Delta?
I guess it's something to look into anyway. But yeah, snail mail will be a good way to go!

Yeah, I think they're really digging there and doing some major speculation. They really are crazy! I just wish they wouldn't jump to conclusions and assume things.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:59 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I guess it's something to look into anyway. But yeah, snail mail will be a good way to go!

Yeah, I think they're really digging there and doing some major speculation. They really are crazy! I just wish they wouldn't jump to conclusions and assume things.
For sure. It's about time I write her another letter actually. I just worry about her feeling compelled to respond if I do. I don't know how she gets through all her mail as it is. I have enough trouble keeping up with LJ comments, and I'm sure I get far less of those in comparison to Delts' mail haul! It's so admirable how she always prioritises to make time for everyone. It's an admirable quality in a friend, but in a celebrity - that's something else!

I wish they wouldn't either. I understand they'll grab at any speculation convincing enough to make them money, but really, grow a conscience. Digging up dirt (where there is none) on Delta's personal relationships is low. She gives so much of her time to them as it is. The least they can do is give her a little respect in return.

icon by *Evie
Old 10-01-2004, 09:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
For sure. It's about time I write her another letter actually. I just worry about her feeling compelled to respond if I do. I don't know how she gets through all her mail as it is. I have enough trouble keeping up with LJ comments, and I'm sure I get far less of those in comparison to Delts' mail haul! It's so admirable how she always prioritises to make time for everyone. It's an admirable quality in a friend, but in a celebrity - that's something else!

I wish they wouldn't either. I understand they'll grab at any speculation convincing enough to make them money, but really, grow a conscience. Digging up dirt (where there is none) on Delta's personal relationships is low. She gives so much of her time to them as it is. The least they can do is give her a little respect in return.
It is amazing how she manages to do that, I don't know how she finds the time! It's sweet that she gives so much time to talk to her fans and all that though.

I know, they should give her some respect and just leave her private life alone. She has given them so much of her time and always is happy to talk to them and answer their questions, just like you said.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:36 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
It is amazing how she manages to do that, I don't know how she finds the time! It's sweet that she gives so much time to talk to her fans and all that though.

I know, they should give her some respect and just leave her private life alone. She has given them so much of her time and always is happy to talk to them and answer their questions, just like you said.
I was genuinely gobsmacked when I learned how personable and obliging she really was. It must drain her of a lot of energy. But she always says that she wouldn't have it any other way. I have the highest admiration for that.

Exactly. We can only hope that one day they'll realise it. Go about their work in a dignified manner and request an actual interview with her (one in which they don't misquote her). I wouldn't hold my breath for that though.

icon by *Evie
Old 10-01-2004, 10:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

What a load of hog wash this is so B.S. about Delta and Mark breaking up...come on newspapers *sigh* I think the UK's mags/newspapers started this rumour they are so bad for that...

Thanks for the new thread.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Elite Fan

The PM facility has been disabled for all users on the DG.com forum - I knew that Delta's account had been disabled but I tried to PM someone else earlier, and it said I couldn't. So I'm assuming that the only way the admin could stop people PMing Delta was by disabling it for everyone.

I read both of those articles, too. I mean, the thing with Brian and Kerry isn't even definite yet. Yes, they've split, but I really see them working things out, because they've always been very much in love and cute in public. I imagine if he has been calling Delta, she's been helping him out without any hint of romance, as you've all said!!

I saw in the first article that it says "Delta is flying back to the UK on October 21 to launch her album Mistaken Identity and the new single Out Of The Blue", Kat, as well as the mention at the end of the second - so let's hope that there's SOME truth in the entire article - this part!!

Also it looks like she's got her wish and the album is to be called Mistaken Identity
Old 10-01-2004, 08:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for that PM info Rach, I wasn't sure if they had it there or not, I remember trying to send something to someone, ages ago, cant remember if it worked or not!

Quote:

Exactly. We can only hope that one day they'll realise it. Go about their work in a dignified manner and request an actual interview with her (one in which they don't misquote her). I wouldn't hold my breath for that though.
Goodness, I hope so. It's sad how all these tabloids put their own spin on things, they need to wait for the truth.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:58 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for clarifiying the forum PM thing, Rach. Gosh, that shows how long it's been since I sent a PM over there. The system wasn't yet disabled when I was posting there regularly. I think it's a wise decision that they got rid of it though. Everyone seems to use e-mail and MSN lots over there anyway.

I'm pleased to hear dates have been announced for her UK promo too.

Quote:

Goodness, I hope so. It's sad how all these tabloids put their own spin on things, they need to wait for the truth.
They do, Ellie. Someone needs to inform them that patience is a virtue.

Exciting news - Delta arrived home in Sydney today!!
The snap below accompanied the following article from the Herald Sun:

Quote:
Oldies may be goodies
02oct04

Home girl: Delta Goodrem, who has just arrived back in Australia, will release a new album in November.

RECORD companies will release more than 30 greatest hits albums this season to boost a bad sales year.

Sales of recorded music to June 2004 fell 8.7 per cent.
To combat this, major labels are rolling out the big guns, including new Delta Goodrem, Eminem and U2 albums, in November.

But beyond that, the new-release bin will be surprisingly old. Those releasing anthologies include Kylie Minogue, Tina Turner, Britney Spears, Robbie Williams and Shania Twain.

"Only the tested acts will release new product," said Christie Eliezer, of industry bible, Billboard.

"But in a year that has not been good, record companies know best-ofs sell.

"Record companies need to pull out all stops, and they will."
Ahh, she looks fantastic, as usual! Loving the pink tinted sunnies. Who better to make a statement wearing "rose coloured glasses" than Delts?

icon by *Evie

Last edited by *OvErPrOtEcTeD*; 10-02-2004 at 02:03 AM