Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-03-2004, 08:55 AM
Master Fan

Barret Bonden (Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World) Appreciation Thread

I can't believe we missed this!

So yeah, Billy starred as Coxswain Barret Bonden in Master and Commander alongside Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany (Hee!).

According to ever-reliable Google, A coxswain is...

...the person who directs the boat, either sitting in the stern or reclining in the bow. Coxswains are typically small and light but must meet a minimum weight. They act as the on-the-water coach and steer person (has no oar).

...[A] member of the crew who coordinates effort, issues commands, and is primarily responsible for steering the shell. Usually seated in the stern-most portion of the shell.

Pics from the movie:

So, what did you guys think of the movie? And Billy? The movie was a little meh for me. It was interesting, though, to see the class distinction of the crew of the ship. Like Gosford Park. Only on water.

Based on the description above, I think Billy was a good choice to be cast as a coxswain. Mainly because he's small. All the other things he can do, because he can actually act. Heh.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:48 AM
Part-Time Fan

I really liked this movie. I knew Billy Boyd was in it, so I went and rented it. To my dismay he only had a small part, but I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it was awesome. My mum bought it for my dad for father's day, and I said to her " You secretly bought it for me, didn't you". It's sad...my family knows about my little obession. And my dad always refer's to him as "pippin".
Old 08-26-2004, 04:51 AM
Master Fan

Calling him 'Pippin' is pretty normal, considering that that is his claim to fame, although I always make it a point to say 'Billy Boyd', and then when the person I'm talking to still doesn't know who he is, I say 'Pippin'.

Billy was my only motivation to watch this film, because I don't like Russell Crowe. It's sad that he only has a small part in it, and you have to find him amongst the filthy men, but those brief moments were moments of joy for me.

And because of this movie, I like Paul Bettany now.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:11 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Paolo

And because of this movie, I like Paul Bettany now.
Yeah, me too. He was really good. Even though I didn't care for the movie that much. And Billy, was, of course, really good. But I don't think that much of Russell Crowe, really. Gladiator was awesome, though.
And I don't want to leave.

...cause I know that without you,
I'm giving it away.

Old 08-28-2004, 09:48 PM
Master Fan

Carrie, yeah, the movie wasn't really that great. Remember the "Two weevils" pun? God, that was bad.

There were some moments where I really got into it, though. Like when they were amputating that kid's arm. Or when that other kid died after the big fight towards the end. Oh, and when that guy fell into the sea, but was clinging onto a rope, but they had to cut him off.

You know what I'm watching out for? Wimbledon. Paul Bettany in a wifebeater/shirtless. Hee.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:26 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Paolo
There were some moments where I really got into it, though. Like when they were amputating that kid's arm. Or when that other kid died after the big fight towards the end. Oh, and when that guy fell into the sea, but was clinging onto a rope, but they had to cut him off.
Those were the moments you liked? A little morbid, aren't ya, Pao?

I haven't seen this movie, but I'm a bit smarter now that I know what a "coxswain" is.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Fan

I still haven't seen the movie either, I was going to get it when it came out on DVD but I don't like Russell Crowe so I forgot about it I'll have to rent it.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:43 PM
Master Fan

Renting's always a good option...and hey, you can just fast forward until you see Billy on screen.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:40 AM
Master Fan

I browsed a Master and Commander movie book one time, and Billy mentioned that Barret had wounds (or scars) on his knuckles. I'll have to check that again.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:03 AM
Master Fan

Scars can be so sexy. You know, as long as it's not the mutilating variety.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:21 PM
Master Fan

I haven't seen this movie yet So I really can't comment on Billy. I guess I could make stuff up and pretend I've watched it..
icon *
Old 12-26-2004, 01:28 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela12
Scars can be so sexy. You know, as long as it's not the mutilating variety.
Yeah. A well placed scar on the face, or on the shoulder, or on the back of the hand can be sexy. Heh.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:34 AM
Master Fan

Like James Marster's scar
icon *
Old 12-27-2004, 02:52 AM
Master Fan

Exactly what I was thinking, Cass.

Viggo has a nice one, too.