Master Fan

I just read those numbers earlier!!
Old 05-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Elite Fan

That is incredible.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Passionate Fan

I feel euphoric.

It was soooooooooooooooooo FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

OMG, OMG OMG, it was so

It might be my favorite Star Wars movie of them all. Maybe that is because I am on such a Star Wars high. OK will get back to you in a couple of days after I get off my high and let you know if it is indeed my favorite SW movie.

OK spoilers ahead............

My favorite scene was definately the fight between Obi and Anakin (or shall I say Darth Vader). Absolute climax of all 6 movies in my opinion IMO. It just so wonderfully tragic.

Palpatine has got to be one of the best movie villians. He planned everything perfectly from the beginning and the Jedi didn't know what hit them.

The fight between Darth Sidious and Yoda was epic. Both are total bad a$$es. Love them.

Was NOT feeling Mace Windu in this movie at all.

Poor Padme. But Natalie looked gorgeous throughout the entire movie.

Anakin is such a tragic figure, I can't help but to feel for him. Lucas did a good job of explaining how and why he turns when given the context of the previous 2 movies (Ep. 1 & 2) verses what happens in this movie.

Anakin at the Jedi Temple. :::shivers:::

The moment when he chooses to turn.

We kind of got an answer on how Anaking was created. I think. That whole immaculate conception thing.

They answered many questions and made that connection between this trilogy and the original Star Wars trilogy.

All in all 2 thumbs up. I am a happy Star Wars fan.

Old 05-20-2005, 06:52 PM
Obsessed Fan

My initial reaction to seeing the film. This is legnthly, but I will try and be succinct in my writing.

This movie is both emotionally and physically draining. I am probably not alone in the opinion the level of intensity and emotional impact in Episode III is what the first two prequels should have been like as well.

Things I really liked:

George Lucas surprised me in that he did go into a little bit why the Sith hate the Jedi that is usually reserved for novels and extended universe canon (like the Knights of the Old Repulic video games and the comics and novels).

He addressed it in how Anakin and Obi Wan represent their respective points of view and where and with who their respective alliegances lie.

For those who don't follow the extended canon, the Sith have always hated Jedi because they believe Jedi teachings (the Code) make them weak. Bsically, if you have the power of the Force, why not use it for good or ill? Sith believe passion is what gives you strength. Not denying things like love, power, anger, etc. Ironically, or logically, this kind of belief system tends to collapse on itself since ALL Sith then believe they should be the ones to rule... Even within their own ranks, I.E. Anakin plotting to overthrow the Emporer... And thus they turn on one another and there is no real stability... The very thing Anakin and Obi Wan wanted with an end to the war.

I was glad to see this aspect of what the Sith really are put into a SW film because up until now, even in the OT, all they really is is the big-bad, evil empire... But we never knew how or why it is (was) so "bad" other than they kill those who oppose them. I think this movie validates the Empire in the OT and am glad GL didn't give the Sith "cartoony" reasons for wanting to sieze power, I.E. they are "eeevvvilll".

The other main thing I liked were the realistic reactions the characters had to the events around them. Especially the Jedi Purge and the unveiling of the Empire.

Unlike the first two prequels, you felt the true gravity of the situation in how Obi Wan and Yoda reacted vs. the first and second film where a lot of the emotions and dialogue was either forced, cheesy or non-existant. This is a key aspect the prequels should have paid more attention to and perhaps they would have been better recieved because this is the main thing missing from the first two films: real human emotions and more importantly, reactions.

I also liked the little details that were put in to bridge Episode III with Episode IV and the OT.

The biggest one... And this should answer the question one of you raised about why would Obi Wan go to Tatooine and expect to be safe*... Is that Obi Wan was basically assigned to watch over Luke at Master Yoda's request. That makes his presence in A New Hope more relevant and adds another layer of depth to the entire saga.

*Also, like war on this planet... Wars are fought on certain fronts and not everywhere and the same can be said of certain planets of the galaxy. This is why Luke and Liea were safe since the main fronts of the war were in fact Courasant and outer-rim planets. In addition, the rebellion won't start for another 18 years when Luke and Liea are aboth teens/young adults, so there really is no "war" being fought on Tatooine, or where the Organa's live.

I also really like how we got to see what a bad-ass warrior Obi Wan was in his prime. This also adds more depth to the OT when you rewatch those films because we have now experienced some of the things "Old Ben" talks about and have a shared history with his character. It is very rare for anyone who creates fiction to be able to do what GL has done in terms of a "shared experience" and it literally can make exposition of a character be a few lines yet mean so much more than what is said:

Liea: General Kenobi. You served my father in the Clone Wars. I am in need of your help.

I also like how Palpatine transformed from a mild-mannered Chancellor into the Hellish Sith Lord we all love to hate. I had my doubts about how threatening he could be, but when he flew across his chamber and impaled Kit Fisto, and brutally slaughted the other Jedi Masters that really set up his character to where you knew he wasn't a joke. I give props to GL because Sidious really is a Devil/Satan-like figure whom Anakin sells his soul to when he reveals himself.

Things I didn't like:

Some of the special and visual effects were just for show.

A perfect example is the Obi Wan/Anakin final duel. It was impressive, but most of it was a lot of lightsaber twirling and who could look cooler doing it. In a real sword fight, the object is to kill your opponent and that involves keeping your guard up, perrying and blocking and looking for just the right moment to land a fatal kill shot (either high guard or low). Realistically, that sword fight would have been over in a few moments if it was fought like it would have been in real life, but I am willing to cut GL some slack because it did look cool with all that saber twirlin'

Some of the scenes came off unintentially comical.

Prime Example: The newly constructed Darth Vader asks about Padme and then screams "Nooooooo!" as he points his fists to the sky

Half the audience burst out lauging because it did come off like a Mystery Science Theater 3000 scene. It was just so over-the-top that you couldn't help but laugh and I know it was supposed to be one of the more emotional scenes of the film.

Anyway...

Is this a good movie? Yes. It is it he best movie of the summer? Probably not. And this is coming from a SW fan who has literally grown up with the OT and now has seen the entire saga complete. Do I recommend this film: Yes. I recommend it because I think there is a cautionary tale that is very relevant to what is going on in a certain country right now that also calls itself the Republc and the dangers of how absolute power corrupts absolutely and if young people can take that to heart between all the cool lightsaber duels and space battles then GL has done his "duty" as a storyteller: both entertain and educate even in a non-intentional way.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:10 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWJaggy
What is General Grievous' story? Did he used to be human at one time?
From what I heard on another board, Grievous is Dooku's creation (Dooku also trained him in the Jedi arts, per what he says to Obi Wan before their big fight)...He's a Cyborg - Part human, part machine and that's why you still see his organs when Obi Wan pulls apart his protectors...So I guess at some point he was human...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nublin
I found General Grievous (sp) very odd, I've never seen a ROBOT that coughs. Is he a heavy smoker???
Also read on another board that he coughs because he was in a big fight with Mace before the movie begins with Anakin and Obi Wan in space and Mace had kicked him in his chest which partially collpased one of his lungs...Which now makes him cough all the time. Not sure if it's true but it's the only thing I have heard
(He drops his arms below her waist)
Max: Not that low
Old 05-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Elite Fan

The story of Grievous can be found in the visiouairies book...very tragic. Great General, that dooku had the banking clan blow up his shuttle so he'd need "enhancements" when all was said in done, there was very little of him left.

Flyin' see clone wars chapter 25 for the scoop on Grievous and his cough.

I saw the movie twice more today. A birdie dropped off the DVD for me...so I watched it at work. I have no shame, what can I say.

I can honestly say, that I wish Padme had been played by someone else.....

I still think squashing Aayla was too much.

I love the snow troopers....THEY SO ROCKED!

I wonder why Plo Koon didn't have a new jedi starfighter....

did I mention that I love the ARC-170? It's soo cool.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:27 PM
Elite Fan

I'm turning you in

Alex

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:40 AM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks Cryostar I'll have to check that out cause I'm also interested in Grievous's story
(He drops his arms below her waist)
Max: Not that low
Old 05-21-2005, 06:22 AM
Master Fan

I just saw SW today! Omigod I have so many things to say. But I think i need to watch it again just for everything to sink in....Lol. Ok, here's just what I remember:

I loved the scene:

> of R2D2 at the beginning of the movie
> where Anakin and Padme were both looking out the glass pane, and Anakin shed a tear.
> where Padme confronted Anakin (near the end of the movie) and when she said "Youre breaking my heart." Aww, that also broke my heart.
> the Anakin/Obi Wan fight scene

There was a part of me hoping that Anakin wouldnt turn to the dark side, although we all know it's inevitable....*sigh* I still found some lines to be a little too corny/used up, like "Youre gonna get us both killed...", "she's OK, but she lost the will to live." arhghhh!, but I'll let it pass this time...hee.

The ending seemed a bit rushed (or maybe I just didnt want it to end yet). Wish there could have been more Anakin/Padme scenes. But generally, I very much enjoyed the movie....and I wanna see it again!

I'm a little confused with Padme dying after giving birth too. I thought she was still gonna be alive for a "brief time" after that.... hmm....
Old 05-21-2005, 06:27 AM
Obsessed Fan

Update of sorts:

I did some research and found out the scene where Yoda talks to Obi Wan about communicating with Qui-Gon IS real and WAS filmed.

Apparently, it is in the workprint of the film that is floating around on the net. It happens on the Blockade Runner shortly before the "Harry Potter" scene where Obi Wan delivers baby Luke to Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru and is meant as sort of a "reward" for Obi Wan since he and Youda failed and it gives Obi Wan another "purpose" along with watching over Luke. I wish this had been included in the theatrical release because it will be one of those SW-Geek things where people debate wheher it exists or not and is or isn't essential to the story

Also...

I get the vibe some of you feel Palpatine may have manipulated The Force and created Anakin himself. I don't know if I buy this because Palpatine's story about Darth Plageous and immortality could have just been more lies to corrupt Anakin and turn him to the darkside. And also because I don't think it was fortold that the Chosen One would be "willed" into existence except by The Force itself as a true prophecy and Christ-like/Savior figure (no one but God himself created Jesus according to Christian lore).

What screws up The Force is GL's attempt to placate the techno-savy crowd of the millennia by adding the medichlorian aspect. The Force should have just remained "The Force" in my opinion -- A mysterious energy source that binds and surrounds all living beings and that Jedi and Sith use to further their respective ends. I can accept that more on faith -- Which was one reason GL did in write SW to begin with; to give young people something to believe in that is bigger than themselves and not really explainable -- Than him trying to turn SW into C.S.I. or E.R. with some half-ass scientific and metaphysical explanation of The Force.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:33 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsilentMajorty
Update of sorts:

I did some research and found out the scene where Yoda talks to Obi Wan about communicating with Qui-Gon IS real and WAS filmed.

Apparently, it is in the workprint of the film that is floating around on the net. It happens on the Blockade Runner shortly before the "Harry Potter" scene where Obi Wan delivers baby Luke to Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru and is meant as sort of a "reward" for Obi Wan since he and Youda failed and it gives Obi Wan another "purpose" along with watching over Luke. I wish this had been included in the theatrical release because it will be one of those SW-Geek things where people debate wheher it exists or not and is or isn't essential to the story
Huh? Have you seen the movie? That scene is still there in the theatrical version. What's missing is a scene prior to that where Qui-Gon ever appears to talk to Obi Wan or Anakin in the 10-20 years between his death and that point. Although someone else mentioned Anakin hears his voice at some point in Attack of the Clones ... I'll have to go back and watch, I only saw it once or twice because I disliked it so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsilentMajorty
I get the vibe some of you feel Palpatine may have manipulated The Force and created Anakin himself. I don't know if I buy this because Palpatine's story about Darth Plageous and immortality could have just been more lies to corrupt Anakin and turn him to the darkside. And also because I don't think it was fortold that the Chosen One would be "willed" into existence except by The Force itself as a true prophecy and Christ-like/Savior figure (no one but God himself created Jesus according to Christian lore).
Except his story finally explains the mystery behind Anakin's existence that has been unresolved for three movies, and gives the stupid midichlorian aspect of the movies some meaning. Unless I missed something, we know almost nothing about what the actual "Chosen One" prophecy is (other than everyone thinks it's Anakin), and Yoda even mentions in this film that it might have been misinterpreted. I was actually waiting in that scene for Yoda to actually recite the prophecy - or is it just the "one who will bring balance to the Force". Such a prophecy could ultimately be referring to either Anakin or Luke - Anakin for going from light to dark and then returning to the light at the end and destroying the Emperor, or Luke for convincing him to do it.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Master Fan

Just saw the movie two days ago....

I totally loved it.I thought Hayden,Natalie,Ewan and the rest of the cast did a fabulous job.I loved the droids,Chewbacca( ) and I never cried so much watching an episode of Star Wars.Plus,I thought the transition with the old trilogy was very well done.

Definitely #2 on my rank list,if not #1.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Elite Fan

After seeing Episode 3, I couldn't help but watch Episode 4-6 in its entirety. Am I the only one?

Have a happy holiday & prosperous new year!
Old 05-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Master Fan

Definitely not the only one.Everyone I know who went to see SW did the same thing after I'm about to do it myself,lol.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:43 AM
Elite Fan

After seeing if for the second time so far, I went home and put in my ANH DVD You almost got to do that

Alex

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread