Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Extreme Fan

i am a huge fan of the star wars films - i had aranged to go and see the film with my housemate tomorrow. but i couldn't wait. i went today. not to say that i'm not going to go again!

Quote Phee:
Yoda rocked this movie. The bit where he walks into the room where Sidious is, and he slams both guards up against the wall using the Force, that got a big cheer in my cinema.

Yep - that happened in my cinema too

i was wondering how they were going to do the whole anakin/ obi wan huge fight. and i was blown away. the speed of the lightsabres - the lava everywhere. i couldn't believe it when he burst into flames. and obiwan being forced to just stand and watch.

and anakin's path to the dark side.....so tragic. its like, what came first: the dream or the choice?

just wondering was it a blooper that the younglings in the jedi temple called anakin "master skywalker"?

edited to add in - when senator palpatine was telling anakin about darth (? - his mentor) who could stop death and give life by controling metaclorins, and that he only taught it to his student......and shmi said that anakin was conceived by the will of the force (he had no father) - do you think that palpatine willed anakin into existence????? and if so does that mean that he's anakin's "father"???

Last edited by tigger817; 05-19-2005 at 04:31 PM
Old 05-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceKat055
This could have worked, but the only reason I don't completely buy it is - - Leia was unaware that she had the Force (from RotJ: "Luke, don't say that. You have a power I don't understand, and could never have!") She told him that her real mother died when she was "very young", as opposed to "she died when I was born". So, if Leia only remembered Padme from the time that she was, oh, say, 35 or 40 seconds old...wouldn't Leia have wondered "okay, how do I have these images and feelings of my real mother, I never knew her!"

Meh...I know I'm being nitpicky, but it just irritates me...I think I'm tending to lean a little more towards the Lucas=sloppy on this particular issue.
As a baby, I was able to feel and see many things, but I can't recall how often, how much I consciously realized, nor if I consciously realized at all before a certain point that I had these abilities until I was older, around two. My earliest memory that I can actually recall right now is of me consciously realizing, though I'm not sure if it was the first time, to certains extents that I had the abilities to feel and see. But just because I may have not realized that I had these abilities beforehand, it doesn't mean that I didn't have them, nor that these abilities suddenly appeared when I finally did consciously realize to certain extents that I had them. See, even if Leia didn't realize in whatever way(s) that she had the Force at the time, which is debatable to me but I won't touch on that topic right now, it probably doesn't mean that Leia couldn't have remembered those feelings and images, that she couldn't feel and see them with and if whatever assistance she had from the Force. It also doesn't mean that she didn't have the Force prior to the converstion. (She most certainly did have the Force prior to then.)

Also, being that Leia was so young, I'm dubious of how much she could have actually remembered without whatever assistance of the Force, if she did have assistance at all from the Force. If Padme had died when Luke and Leia were seven or eight, Leia probably would have a better chance of remembering in a lot of possible ways, at least something(s) whether it or they were vivid, blurry, etc., without the Force's assistance than she would have at less than a day old. But being that Leia was LESS THAN A DAY OLD, although Leia didn't exactly expand upon how many memories she had, in what condition(s) such as blurry, detailized, etc., it just seems very unlikely that Leia could have actually recollected those feelings and images on her own without whatever assistance from the Force. (Of course, it may not have been Padme and/or somethings, perhaps everything, was imaginary. And I don't know how much the Force could have had assisted her in this, if at all.)

As far as Leia stating that her mother died when she was young and not after she was born, Leia may have not remembered at what age she exactly was when her mom actually died, only that Leia was very young. Then again, she may have not been able to remember at all when her real mom actually died but was told that her mom died when Leia was young later on. And it may have been Bail Organa's wife, who Leia may have thought was her real mom.

Also, that line that you posted from ROTJ can be construed different ways, at least to me. Leia didn't tell Luke, "You have the Force, a power that I don't understand and could never have!" She stated "a power," which could refer to a number of things such as Luke's strength in the Force. Moreover, Leia doesn't explicitly state what she could never have: the understanding and/or the power.

Oh, at least from what I can recall right now, there's no proof either way whether Leia wondered why did have those feelings and images or that she didn't wonder. And again from what I can recall right now, there's also no proof that those feelings and images were imaginary, of another woman who Leia may have thought was her real mom. Of course, there may be proof that I don't know or forgot about.

I'm so ambivalent, though, 'cause in reality, there are just too many possibilities at this point. Was it a plot hole? Were all, just one, or some of them imaginary? Were they of Bail Organa's wife? Were they of a nanny? Were they really of Padme? Yup, and the list continues on and on.

*sighs*

Oy, I have another question: When Leia remarks about her mother being very beautiful, was she referring to her mother's appearance and/or something else, like her mother's spirit? Now, if it was Padme, she could have felt Padme's spirit. I don't know how much, though.

Last edited by *Natalie*; 05-19-2005 at 07:54 PM
Old 05-19-2005, 05:05 PM
Addicted Fan

In response the Luke and Leia thing about thier mother

Well a lot of the movies have plot holes in them. George Lucas wrote each script one at a time so he didnt always continue the story. Like at the begining of ep 4 Obi Wan says that when he first met Anakin he was a pilot, which is obviously wrong.

Anywho got up at 9:30 this morning to see it and I must say it ROCKED!!!!
Old 05-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Master Fan

Did anyone else here find Grevious to be useless? a bit odd?
I thought the scenes with him were kinda boring...
Old 05-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Elite Fan

OMG! I think we need to focus more on the movie and less on one line from Return of the Jedi. Does it really matter anyways?

Alex

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Dedicated Fan

Saw it tonight...OMG It's amazing!!! The space battles, light saber battles, plot and storyline rocked!!! It sums up the trilogy that leads into A New Hope perfectly!!! All (Or most) the questions are answered and you see how evil Anakin becomes....OMG He becomes so evil Hayden did a awesome job playing his part and Ewan McGregor was awesome as well...Their battle against each other rocked!! When it came on everyone applaused and when it ended everyone applauded as well I thought Empire Strikes Back was good but I didn't think it was the best...To me, I always liked Return of The Jedi but I think this one is the best of them all....The graphics and visibles are off the chart, the best I have ever seen in a movie!! I started to get teary eyed at the end of it cause it just all came to me that that was it...the last (Well, supposely) Star Wars film...
(He drops his arms below her waist)
Max: Not that low
Old 05-19-2005, 06:00 PM
Part-Time Fan

I was very surprised by the ending. I didn't think I'd get so choked up...but when Ewan says that Anakin was his brother and that he loved him I freaking lost it! It was a really beautiful moment.

Icon credit to _klotera
Old 05-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidera
Memory is a funny thing. With memories, you re-construct the past, and sometimes in the process of doing so you actually end up creating new memories that never existed, based upon impressions and stories that are passed down to you. It is very likely that Leia was told the story of her mother, and rather than tell her that her mother died in childbirth, the Organas could have soften the blow by being vague about it, forcing Leia to construct a path that had memories of things that never happened. It's happened before in real life, and that's not even taking into consideration "the Force" in this universe.

Also, another thing to take into consideration is that they very well could have lied to her, just to protect her. The less she knows about her true heritage, the easier it is to hide if someone started to make the connection and questioned her.

What is really interesting now is rewatching the original trilogy. Imagine now how Anakin/Vader must have felt when he realized that Luke existed. Luke's existence was alive means that Anakin couldn't have directly killed Padme- which is why it's only during the original trilogy that was see Anakin come back from behind the Vader mask. Luke (and alternately Leia) represents all the good in him, because he is Padme's son and we start to see the cracks. It's great. I love it.
I actually had a few discussion with some of my friends on first two portions of your post. Very interesting discussions, they were.

Yup, many people can reconstruct their pasts to certain degrees through memories. And the Organas could have been very vague about it, like "your mother died when you were very young." They could have also never told her anything regarding whether she was adopted, what happened, etc, or lied to her as you said. And both of them also have happened in real life. But as far lying to her to protect her and/or impede someone from making connections and questioning her, in reality, that may only go so far in many instances, 'cause Leia may have started to feel certain things because of the Force, yada, yada. Could divulge more on this and say something on the last portion of your post, but I won't.

OK, in ROTS, does Anakin refer to dream(s) where Padme dies? Is a dream or are there dreams that are shown where she dies?
Old 05-19-2005, 06:21 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Natalie*
OK, in ROTS, does Anakin refer to dream(s) where Padme dies? Is a dream or are there dreams that are shown where she dies?
Anakin has 2 dreams in which Padme dies in childbirth, in the second one Obi-Wan is also there. He tells Padme about the first one (which we see briefly) and that he can't lose her. Pretty much the same with the second one.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:29 PM
Master Fan

I skipped work to see the movie this afternoon. Overall I thought this movie was definitely better than the other two prequels.

Regarding continuity problems ... it's par for the course with this series. There are very obvious, glaring inconsistencies between the prequels and the later three, most revolving around things Obi Wan or Vader said. At least Lucas did a passable job of sorting out some of the more glaring continuity holes, like wiping C3PO's memory and tying together the story from the previous movies.

Someone mentioned how fast things happened in the movie. Again, this is in line with the rest of movies. Even though ESB is often considered the best movie of the six, it suffered from this same problem - I mean, how long between the time Luke parted ways with Han and Leia on Hoth, and he runs into them again on Cloud City? From Han and Leia's perspective, it only appears to be a matter of days, a few weeks if you really stretch things. Yet, in that short time, Luke finds Yoda and trains as a Jedi, and shortly thereafter goes up against Vader, the most powerful Jedi/Sith around. At least in RotS there was an established history between Anakin and Palpatine and his doubts about being a Jedi.

A random thought: the comment Yoda makes near the end about Qui-Gon was a little weird. I figured afterwards that he was referring to the ability Obi Wan shows in the original movies to speak/appear to Luke even after death. But was Yoda implying that Qui-Gon could do that too? If so, why didn't he ever appear to Obi Wan or Anakin in all those years?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nublin
The whole love story is very tragic. The only reason Anakin turns to the dark side is because of his dreams that Padme will die in childbirth, which she does. So turning to the dark side was pointless.
Actually, I liked how this part of the story was handled. Yoda even warned Anakin (as he later does Luke) about being influenced by visions of the future. You could argue that Anakin actually caused Padme's death in childbirth by trying to prevent it, by giving in to the fear of his visions.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Elite Fan

Ok, I've digested, here are my thoughts:

On the luke/leia thing...let us not forget where luke and leia were raised...in the harsh wastes of Tatooine, it's hard to imagine and search through feelings of love and sadness when you're just trying to survive....on Alderan, it's much different, though. Thus, Luke may never be able to search those feelings out because they're foreign to him. How's that for explaining.

Now the movie.

I liked it, but I need about 2 more showings to catch everything.

To explain grievous, he's a cyborg, not just a droid, so those are real organs...his cough is a result of a confrontation with Mace while capturing the Chancellor...Mace crushed his rib chasis.

Opening battle.....nice...which it was just a hair longer. Poor R4...sniff sniff. I love the ARC-170's, but I think everyone knows that already.

Dooku / obi / ani fight....nice, short, but nice...I'm glad that the took him begging for mercy out of the movie, so un sith-like.

The crash, not so bad....

MORE JEDI....I so wanted to see more jedi.

Clones....LOVED EM! SEND IN MORE....can't get enough.

Opera scene / ani and palpy talk in his office....LOVED IT! I've waited for this.

Mace / sidious.....Poor Masters....they never stood a chance. I loved this duel, maybe my favourite of the movie

Grievous/obi....ok.....yeah, I wish he would have done some great moves to kill the magna guards...but that's obi, doing the smart thing. I wish the fight could have been longer. The boga was nice...I loved her, poor girl.

Jedi death scenes....poor Aayla she's DEAD PEOPLE...don't keep shooting her...poor Stass....I know that they filmed more...wish they could have put more in the movie. Jedi Temple....again, more....I know they filmed shaak ti's death scene...I so wanted to see it...alas, I couldn't.

Yoda and sidious.....nice....wish it could have been more...but I liked it.

Ani and Obi......yeah...oh yeah.....double oh yeah.

Birth of Vader....I wanted more destruction when he finds out what he did to padme....but it's ok.

no lines for Tarkin, kinda upset about that. No lines for Aayla...also sad about that....maybe the DVD, we'll see.

I'll have more after I see it again.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Master Fan

Oh, wow. I just got back from seeing it and I just feel so...overloaded. It stirred up a lot of emotions for me, and I'm still kind of sorting through them all. Trying to process things.

I guess I should say first of all that it is actually better than I thought it would be. But I found many of the battle scenes to be a bit over-the-top. You lose some dramatic intensity when you make your battle too grand in scale, I think...and this coming from someone who loves big battle scenes! That was my biggest complaint...I felt bombarded by all the visuals of the battles.

Mace vs. Palpatine scene was wow. So intense. Anakin's "What have I done?" really killed me. And Palpatine's facial distortions? Eww! Wasn't expecting that. I thought he just looked that way because he's hella old. Poor Mace...what a horrible death that was.

The scene that made me cry the most was probably with the children hiding behind the chairs in the Jedi council room. "Master Skywalker, there's too many of them! What do we do?" And then *schooom*, he turns on his lightsaber. Horrific, and so, so tragic. The poor children...!

And wow, the ultimate Anakin/Obi-Wan showdown. I adore Obi-Wan, so that really tore me up. Anakin laying there legless and armless and then burning and screaming "I hate you" with so. much. venom. was just sensation overload for me. I mean, damn. I'm still trying to process that. It breaks my heart, it really, really does.

****...am I ready for Star Wars to be over? I can't believe it. *sigh*
Old 05-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidera
What is really interesting now is rewatching the original trilogy. Imagine now how Anakin/Vader must have felt when he realized that Luke existed. Luke's existence was alive means that Anakin couldn't have directly killed Padme- which is why it's only during the original trilogy that was see Anakin come back from behind the Vader mask. Luke (and alternately Leia) represents all the good in him, because he is Padme's son and we start to see the cracks. It's great. I love it.
Imagine going all those years thinking you'd killed your wife and unborn child and then all of a sudden your kid pops up alive and well. I wonder if Padme had the foresight to know that it was the children that would ultimately redeem Anakin, which is why she personally gave up and left them to carry on in her place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raonaild
A random thought: the comment Yoda makes near the end about Qui-Gon was a little weird. I figured afterwards that he was referring to the ability Obi Wan shows in the original movies to speak/appear to Luke even after death. But was Yoda implying that Qui-Gon could do that too? If so, why didn't he ever appear to Obi Wan or Anakin in all those years?
Don't we hear Qui-Gon's voice in AotC screaming, "Anakin, NO!" when he's about to slaughter the Sand People? I'd assumed the same as you, that Obi Wan had to learn about this ability to communicate from beyond the grave so he'd be able to do the same for Luke in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryostar
To explain grievous, he's a cyborg, not just a droid, so those are real organs...his cough is a result of a confrontation with Mace while capturing the Chancellor...Mace crushed his rib chasis.
Thanks for the info.

Quote:

Clones....LOVED EM! SEND IN MORE....can't get enough.
*sings* Send in the clones. (Sorry, tragic joke, but couldn't help myself )

Quote:
Mace / sidious.....Poor Masters....they never stood a chance. I loved this duel, maybe my favourite of the movie
Looked like Sam Jackson had had a few more lightsabre lessons. His style was a bit more free flowing than in AotC.

Quote:
Grievous/obi....ok.....yeah, I wish he would have done some great moves to kill the magna guards...but that's obi, doing the smart thing. I wish the fight could have been longer. The boga was nice...I loved her, poor girl.
Was the boga the thing that Obi was riding around on? If so, I loved her too. Would love one for a pet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger817
just wondering was it a blooper that the younglings in the jedi temple called anakin "master skywalker"?
I figured that they probably just called him "master" because he was so much older than them, and was one of the Jedi they looked up to. I doubt the younglings would have been bothered too much by semantics.

I knew that scene was coming coz I'd read about it in reviews, but when I actually saw it, it still shocked the hell outta me!

Quote:
edited to add in - when senator palpatine was telling anakin about darth (? - his mentor) who could stop death and give life by controling metaclorins, and that he only taught it to his student......and shmi said that anakin was conceived by the will of the force (he had no father) - do you think that palpatine willed anakin into existence????? and if so does that mean that he's anakin's "father"???
I was wondering the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela12
And wow, the ultimate Anakin/Obi-Wan showdown. I adore Obi-Wan, so that really tore me up. Anakin laying there legless and armless and then burning and screaming "I hate you" with so. much. venom. was just sensation overload for me. I mean, damn. I'm still trying to process that. It breaks my heart, it really, really does.
As he was lying there screaming and burning, I just had a vision of the sweet little kid he used to be and wanted to cry because of the twisted wreck of a person he'd become.

I'm seeing it again tonight, can't wait!
Old 05-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervixen
I was very surprised by the ending. I didn't think I'd get so choked up...but when Ewan says that Anakin was his brother and that he loved him I freaking lost it! It was a really beautiful moment.
OMG!!! That moment...i got really teary....it was such a powerful moment...and how Anakin was like 'I HATE U'....WOW......look how far they had become from what they once were in just that one sentence.... i mean 30 min earlier in the movie he was talking to Obi and telling him how much he loved him as a master....it was almost like a goodbye.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

I just got back from seeing it and let me tell you, It was GREAT! I loved every thing about it, but my favorite part is when Anakin and Obi fought. I was on the edge of my seat I need to see it again!
My LJ
Closed Thread   Post New Thread