Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Elite Fan

SW Books #9: "Allegiance" and "Legacy of the Force"

Hello and Welcome to the Star Wars Book Club Discussion Thread

There is no book of the month. Book of the month for February will be "Allegiance" by Timothy Zahn. Recent books of the month that some of us are still reading or will be reading in the future: "Outbound Flight" and "Star Wars Republic Commando: Triple Zero", the sequel to "Hard Contact". Both are prequel novels and come highly recommended. The most recent Star Wars novel is "Darth Bane: Path of Destruction", which also has earned high praise from most readers.

Anyone can be a part of the book club discussion, just come in, introduce yourself and read the books we are reading. Then just simply participate, give us your reveiws, opinons etc. We'd like to discuss the books with you.

We will be bringing you reviews of other books as well.

Author Timothy Zahn returns to the Star Wars galaxy next year with his next book, Star Wars: Allegiance. Here's a first look at its cover, by artist John Van Fleet.

In Star Wars: Allegiance, which takes place during the time between Episodes IV and V, Luke Skywalker is still new to all this Jedi business. Han Solo isn't sure how much he's willing to commit to the Rebel Alliance. Princess Leia is trying to help run the Rebellion and wondering why Han is so infuriating. The young Mara Jade is one of the most valued agents of the evil Emperor. And a team of stormtroopers goes rogue, deciding to mete out justice their own way...

Del Rey Books is scheduled to publish this hardcover release on January 30, 2007

The Last of the Jedi book series by Jude Watson: Upcoming book (March 2007) # 7 in the series is titled "Secret Weapon"

In other book related news:
"Darth Plagueis" novel will be out in 2008.

For many months now, Del Rey has had a single book left on its contract ('05 to '08) that wasn't yet assigned. With the full breadth of the timeline more open now than ever before, speculation has been fierce as to what kind of story we might end up getting. At long last, we have an answer, courtesy of the Official Site:

James Luceno, author of the bestselling Cloak of Deception, Labyrinth of Evil and Darth Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, has been contracted by Del Rey Books to write a novel about Darth Sidious and his Muun mentor, Darth Plagueis. As is to be expected on all matters of the Sith, details remain obscured by the shadow of the dark side, but in time, more will be revealed.

The Current Scheduled Novels Release Dates:
"Betrayal" by Aaron Allston
"Bloodlines" by Karen Traviss
"Tempest" by Troy Denning
"Exile" by Aaron Allston (Feb 27th, 2007)
"Sacrifice" by Karen Traviss (May 2007)
"Inferno" by Troy Denning (September 2007)
"Fury" by Aaron Allston (November 2007)
"Revelation" by Karen Traviss (March 2008)
Book 9, by Troy Denning (June 2008)
June of 2008 - Coruscant Nights 1 of 3 - Jedi Twilight
September of 2008 - Coruscant Nights 2 of 3 - Chiaroscuro
December of 2008 - Coruscant Nights 3 of 3 - Patterns of the Force
Sometime in 2008...The Darth Plageious Novel as well.

Just announced over the San Diego Comic Con...While the recent San Diego Comic-Con wasn't really a big week for book-related announcements, there was one big bit of news for those of us clamoring to see more of the great Omega Squad - a third novel is what could arguably be called the Republic Commando series will hit shelves around this time next year, followed by a definite fourth sometime after that. Fans of the first two novels can rest easy knowing that the boys (or, perhaps more importantly, the narrative) should make it through to Order 66 after all.

No Release Dates set yet for those two projects.

Star Wars Book Listing- Chronologically within the SW EU

1. The Jedi Apprentice Series by Jude Watson, books 1-18
The rising force - Dave Wolverton
The Dark Rival - Jude Watson
Hidden Past - Jude Watson
The Mark of the crown - Jude Watson
The Defenders of the dead - Jude Watson
The Uncertain Path - Jude Watson
The Captive Temple - Jude Watson
The Day of Reckoning - Jude Watson
The fight for truth - Jude Watson
The Shattered peace - Jude Watson
The Deadly Hunter - Jude Watson
The Evil experiment - Jude Watson
The Dangerous Resque - Jude Watson
The Ties that bind - Jude Watson
The Death of Hope - Jude Watson
The Call for vengeance - Jude Watson
The only witness - Jude Watson
The Threat within - Jude Watson

2. JA special edition1 - Deceptions by Jude Watson
3. JA special edition2 - The Followers by Jude Watson
4. Cloak of Deception by James Luceno
5. Darth Maul - Shadow Hunter by Michael Reaves

6. Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace by Terry Brooks

7. Jedi Quest, hardcover novel by Jude Watson

8.Jedi Quest series paperback 1-10 by Jude Watson
The way of the apprentice
The trail of the Jedi
The dangerous games
The master of disguise
The school of fear
The shadow trap
The moment of truth
The changing of the guard
The false peace
The final showdown

9. Rogue Planet by Greg Bear
10. The Approaching Storm by Alan Dean Foster
11. Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn

12. Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones by R.A. Salvatore

13. Secrets of the Jedi by Jude Watson
14. Legacy of the Jedi by Jude Watson
15. Republic Commando: Hard Contact by Karen Traviss
16. Republic Commando: Tripple Zero by Karen Travis
17. Shatterpoint by Matthew Stover
18. The Cestus Deception by Steven Barnes
19. Medstar I - Battle Surgeons by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry
20. Medstar II - Jedi Healer by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry
21. Jedi Trial by Dan Cragg and David Sherman
22. Yoda - Dark Rendezvous by Sean Stewart
23. Labyrinth of Evil by James Luceno

24. Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith by Matthew Stover

25. The Rise of Lord Vader by James Luceno

26. The Last of the Jedi Series 1-10 by Jude Watson (2005, 2006, 2007)
The Desperate Mission
Dark Warning
Underground
Death on Naboo
A Tangled Web

27. Coruscant Nights - volumes 1-3 (Pushed back to 2008 in latest report)

Pre-Star Wars IV: A New Hope

28. The Han Solo Trilogy by A.C. Crispin
The Paradise Snare
The Hutt Gambit
Rebel Dawn

29.The Lando Calrissian Adventures by L. Neil Smith
Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu
Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon
Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of ThonBoka

30. The Han Solo Adventures by Brian Daley

Han Solo at Star's End
Han Solo's Revenge
Han Solo and the Lost Legacy

31. Star Wars IV: A New Hope by George Lucas

32. Splinter of the Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster

33. The Ruins Of Dantooine by Voronica Whitney-Robinson with Haden Blackman

34. The Bounty Hunter Wars by K.W. Jeter
The Mandalorian Armor
Slave Ship
Hard Merchandise

35. Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back by Donald Glut

36. Shadows of the Empire by Steve Perry

37. Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi by James Kahn

38. The Truce At Bakura by Kathy Tyers

39. X-Wing, Series I by Michael A. Stackpole
Rogue Squadron
Wedge's Gamble
The Krytos Trap
The Bacta War

40. X-Wing, Series II by Aaron Allston
Wraith Squadron
Iron Fist
Solo Command

41. The Courtship of Princess Leia by Dave Wolverton
42. Tatooine Ghost by Troy Denning

43. The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn
Heir to the Empire
Dark Force Rising
The Last Command

44. X-Wing, Series III by Michael A. Stackpole
Isard's Revenge

45. The Jedi Academy Trilogy by Kevin J. Anderson
Jedi Search
Dark Apprentice
Champions of the Force

46. I, Jedi by Michael A. Stackpole

47. X-Wing, Series IV by Aaron Allston
Starfighters of Adumar

48. Children of the Jedi by Barbara Hambly
49. Darksaber by Kevin J. Anderson
50. Planet of Twilight by Barbara Hambly
51. The Crystal Star by Vonda N. McIntyre

52. Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy by Michael P. Kube-McDowell
Before the Storm
Shield of Lies
Tyrant's Test

53. The New Rebellion by Kristine Kathryn Rusch

54. The Corellian Trilogy by Roger MacBride Allen
Ambush at Corellia
Assault at Selonia
Showdown at Centerpoint

55. The Hand of Thrawn Duology by Timothy Zahn
Specter of the Past
Vision of the Future

56. Survivor's Quest by Timothy Zahn

New Jedi Order

57. Vector Prime by R.A. Salvatore
58. Dark Tide I - Onslaught by Michael A. Stackpole
59. Dark Tide II - Ruin by Michael A. Stackpole
60. Agents of Chaos I - Hero's Trial by James Luceno
61. Agents of Chaos II - Jedi Eclipse by James Luceno
62. Balance Point by Kathy Tyers
63. Recovery by Troy Denning
64. Edge of Victory I - Conquest by Greg Keyes
65. Edge of Victory II - Rebirth by Greg Keyes
66. Star by Star by Troy Denning
67. Dark Journey by Elaine Cunningham
68. Enemy Lines I - Rebel Dream by Aaron Allston
69. Enemy Lines II - Rebel Stand by Aaron Allston
70. Traitor by Matthew Stover
71. Destiny's Way by Walter Jon Williams
72. Force Heretic I -Remnant by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
73. Force Heretic II - Refugee by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
74. Force Heretic III - Reunion by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
75. The Final Prophecy by Greg Keyes
76. The Unifying Force by James Luceno

77. The Dark Nest Trilogy by Troy Denning
The Joiner King
The Unseen Queen
The Swarm

Star Wars Legacy of the Force ( 9 novels ) 2006-2008

78. "Betrayal" by Aaron Allston
79. "Bloodlines" by Karen Traviss
80. "Tempest" by Troy Denning

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.

Last edited by Alexander; 01-24-2007 at 09:12 PM
Old 01-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

very good Alex.

now onto the reviews!

I'm about 100 pages away from finishing Memoirs so maybe I should then break before going into Allegance since I clearly have no time to read a book in a week.

It would be cool if I could read A New Hope, then Allegiance, then ESB, Shadows of the Empire then RotJ

Should I do that?
Old 01-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Elite Fan

Steph, that sounds like a very good plan, all in order

OK...Reviews:

"Children of the Jedi", by B. Hamby. Overall grade 2 Gammorreans out of 5.

Plot: 2 Storylines going on at the same time. Luke with two of his Jedi Apprentices from the academy, Cray and Nichos who used to be a couple, but the former's body died from a disease, and she transferred his mind/thoughts into a droid, well anyways, they go on a quest to unknown coordinates looking for "Jedi" and end up on the super dreadnaught Eye of Palpatine, which has a supercomputer and a mission to fulfill, even after 30 years!. In the meantime Han, Leia, Chewie and the droids are on a planet searching for Children of the Jedi, where the great Jedi master Plett lived and hid Jedi families. Leia stumbles upon a former "call girl" in Palps inner court, who has a force sensitive son dark side trainee who can control droids. They are planning to "strike" at the Rep. another shocker! . Leia is captured and must escape, and Han must solve the smuggler's mistery and find Leia. Luke falls in love with Callista, and they must stop the "Eye" from fulfilling it's mission, which of course, they don't know, it's "nuking" the planet where Han and Leia are currently searching for Jedi. There you go.

The Good: Callista. All things Callista. What can you say, arguably, this novel was written to introduce the character of Jedi Knight Callista into the EU, and give Luke Skywalker a serious love interest. The chapters when Luke and Callista interact aboard "The Eye of Palpatine" were the best thing out of the book, and since I feel this way...what can you say about not bringing in Callista until page 200! It's a 340 page book man I also liked the ending, the last 30 pages read very fast finally, took the author long enough! and with a surprise twist that you don't see coming. This is what's frustrating, brilliang little parts of the book like that, and the first 200 pages or so, complete grind, but that's better saved for the next category. Mara Jade, nice to have her appear in this book, although she had a very small part, stilll, the chapter when she talked to Han via holonet was a good tie in with the smuggler backstory. Any book that has Mara Jade as a character gets 1 star automatically. So one for Mara, and another for Callista. That's how I got my grade

The Bad: The book was kind of confusing and lacked the action pace necessary to "grab you into" the story. B. Hamby tries, but fails, b/c she has a lot to live up to. That's the thing, in the SW EU where so many novels have been written, and are still being written, you will no doubt be compared to some of the best. Zahn, Denning, K.J. Anderson, A.C.Crispin, M. Stover, J. Luceno, etc. You get the point. Books like Jedi Academy which Children follows in the EU timeline have a certain pace and character involvement that captivates you. Children fails on so many levels. Han and Leia were wasted for the most part on a silly quest that leads to nothing more than a discovery of a new "dark Jedi in training". The part when Leia had her "ghost like experience" was nicely written, so that's not as bad, but Chewie was given little to nothing, Han "saves Leia" at the end surprise?! and not much else happens.

The Ugly: The whole story with Luke on board the "Eye of Palpatine" was just flat out silly. Gammorreans? Sand People? Jawas? Others? Really? Of course Luke had to "break his leg" or you'd be going, why doesn't he just kick their a**es and resque his Jedi Apprentice that is being held hostage for 200 pages! I guess I'm tired of books where Luke, this great Jedi doesn't do much at all. I'm waiting on him to be unleashed in a SW EU novel, anytime now guys? When you are ready?!
How quick it took Luke to fall in love with Callista. Plus, they never really made it "clear" how she survived in the mainframe supercomuter, and how she was able to "interact" with Luke. The two practically had sex in dream state for Luke. After barely knowing each other, and they say Jedi don't have needs!
The Kid that could control droids with his mind, that was a decendent of a Jedi family. What a bunch of buhaki! Of course he got away...must be used in a future book I guess. I just couldn't get into this book, had a very hard time with it. Didn't like the writting style of B. Hamby at all.

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Elite Fan

DarkSaber by K. J. Anderson.

Overall grade: 4 out 5!

The Plot: There are several, Anderson is a master at weaving several stories into one main quest. I guess he learned from Jedi Academy. Durga the Hutt Steph, you'll know him from the Han Solo Trilogy! (yay for continuity) plotts to make a new "deathstar"-like weapon and use it to get rich taxing outer rim systems. In the meantime, the abitious and driven Admiral Daala is alive, having survived Kyp Durron's attempt to kill her, she gets together with an unlikely imperial ally to unite the squabbling warlords together, and launch an attack against the new republic. While all of this is going on, Luke and Callista are on a journey together, to try and recover her ability to use the force. Han and Leia must deal with Durga and discover what he's up to, with the help of Chewie and the droids, while Kyp Durron and Dorsk 81 are searching the core worlds for news on what the empire is planning.

The Good: Where do I start. I liked this book so much. K. J. Anderson honors so much of the SW EU continuity, it's ridiculous. Just flat out awesome, from our beloved main characters to the smaller "B" characters in the book. Seeing familiar faces, and how they play important parts in the story, I mean they aren't just there to be "named" and sit around. They have a purpose. Any book where you have Tatooine, Daghoba and Hoth in the same story, it's a winner The author grabs you right from the start. From the way the story is told, to the pace, action of events, it just fits together nicely. Nar Shaddaa, Nal Hutta, Coruscant...on and on. So many planets, Yavin IV, just the familiarity used.

Luke and Callista's adventure, the ending with the Knight Hammer was brilliant. Very cool unsuspected way for the book to end.

Characters used, like Wedge, Qui Xux, the new character of death star designer Bevel Lemelisk awesome flashback scenes with him, Sidious and Tarkin! Those are a must read alone!. Durga the Hutt, who is quite cunning and just as evil as Jabba. Supporting roles like general Crix Madine who has one small part in Episode VI and that's it!, loved the background story on him, and how it tied into the "Darksaber" project and General Salumar. Oh, did I mention...even the one armed Wampa beast from episode V makes a very dramatic appearance while Luke an Callista are on Hoth! I'm telling you, Kevin J. Anderson leaves no stone unturned. Of course, the brilliant idea to bring back Daala and have her interact with now vice-admiral Palleon...! This book is very solid from start to finish. All the studens from the Jedi Academy are back, they actually put up quite the fight against the imperial. Continuity at it's best. A rich EU canvas, use these characters! Don't just write them and throw them away

The Bad: Not much here, and I can't say what I really want to without giving away the ending or key plot parts, so I won't

The Ugly: Nope, nothing "ugly" about "Darksaber", other than the cover art! What a shame, brilliant book deserves a bit better.

I recommend this book to all, esp. those who read Jedi Academy Trilogy.

So, I started "Planet of Twilight" and immediately noticed it was written by B. Hamby! I may have said "Oh NO!"

Old 01-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

wonderful reviews Alex I am very please

So not looking forward to Children ...
but Darksaber sounds very awesome. Continity is such a huge plus!

Oh No for Planet of Twilight indeed...
are you finding it eeeh so far.

I am like 50 pages away from finishing my book and I think I will read the SW ones in order like that so you guys maybe finished with Allegiance before me.

after ROTJ though I should get back to the post era with JA trilogy.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Elite Fan

Well, they are very well received, as we are the only 2 people to have ever read them

Yeah, I read 10 pages out of "Twilight" and said, here we go again, I just don't care for B. Hamby's writting style. I'm sure most would find it OK, I am not a fan. Since I am so stubborn, I will try and read it anyways. If I don't finish it before "Allegiance", then I'll put it on hold.

My short term reading plan: "Twilight", "Allegiance", "Crystal Star", "Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy".

Old 01-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well I pretty much know I will borrow Children of the Jedi

I also need to read some non SW books in between my SW fixes.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:37 AM
Elite Fan

While not as long winded as Alex's reviews, here's my shorter Tempest review, I've tried to keep spoilers to a minimum

Tempest Review

Ok, I loved this book...for many of its aspects. I love it because it's Troy Denning. I love it because it's action. There are Lightsaber battles, there are fleet battles, there is intricate mind games being played, and in the end, there is treachery afoot. Alema Rar makes an appearence, and becomes a player...which I have to say is interesting...Gorag strikes from the grave.

I don't like cliff hangers, and there are lots of open ends to this book. Han and Leia are one of them. I don't like brining back Aurra Sing to be a bounty hunter in this book....nor how easily she's bested, rusty or not.

It deals with Hapes and it's wonderful polictics. It deals with Tenel Ka, who is one of the most under-explorered but most interesting characters of the NJO universe. In the end....I think 100 more pages could have wrapped things up better, or just label this and the next book a Part I and Part II and be done with it. It's a great book, but it's half the story...and when you have two different authors telling two different halves to the same story, it can be disasterous.

Still, I recommend it, and would give it 4 out of 5 sabers, all red of course.

Here is a link to the short stories I was talking about. I know a lot of people didn't respond to my question, but hey, it's free, people never pass up free links. Some of these are so-so, but some are written by Denning, Stackpole, Zahn and the lady that did Truce at Bakura....so enjoy. There are 57 files total, all in word documents, so they should be open'able by anything.

http://home.earthlink.net/~gmcgrath0...%20Stories.zip
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:35 AM
Elite Fan

Kathy Tyers is the lady from "Truce at Bakura". You are not very good at the "whole name" thing, and my reviews are not long winded, they are appropriate in length

Jerry, will you be reading Allegieance next month?

Old 01-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

while skimming Tempest I was very interested in the parts with Tenel Ka. It's sad to hear she's under used

I like long reivews.
I hate when I come across a review that's one sentence. Tell me why you feel that way!

OT: I finished Memoirs tonight! Such a beautiful book.
I have to sit on it before I can put into words but beaitufuly written.
and better than the film.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:31 PM
Elite Fan

Steph, TFN has a list of the five names for Jason. If you want, you can go check them out. None were "great" in my opinion but what do I know?

Old 01-23-2007, 11:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'll check them tomorrow thanks.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Elite Fan

I think all the cool Dark Lord names have been pretty much taken

Old 01-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Elite Fan

I've updated the names of the SW Legacy books and release months. The second to last book is titled "Revelations", and please tell me they aren't dragging out the fact that Jason is a Sith Lord that long! What a terrible decision, if it takes Luke and company 4 books to figure out Jason is a Sith Lord

Old 01-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh dear I hope not. 1 and half books at the most.

I like either
Darth
Spoiler:

or Darth
Spoiler:
Closed Thread   Post New Thread