Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2016, 10:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musickat18 (View Post)
Saw the movie yesterday and I'm left thinking "This must be what Sum1 felt like after TFA came out." I liked it, didn't love it. I didn't feel a connection to any of the characters, I thought Darth Vader was pretty cheesy, and the plot was pretty thin. I thought the ending was good, but could have been great if I had had any emotional attachment to any of the characters. I do think Felicity did great with the role, but there was something that was still lacking that kept me from growing attached (I'm not super attached to Rey either). From what I hear all around me IRL and online, I'm in a minority.
Who knows, once I've seen it I may join you. I hope Rogue One is good, but I don't have a lot of confidence in any of this new Star Wars being to my liking. I suspect I'll like Rogue One better than I liked TFA, but beyond that I don't know how I'm going to feel. And it might even take a year for my opinion to fully gel like it did with TFA.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:03 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Out of my friends who are hardcore SW fans, two of them have seen it so far. One has said that it's the best SW movie ever since ESB, which I thought was a ridiculous statement Because nothing beats the OT. The other one said he thought it was an amazing sci-fi movie however it didn't feel like SW because it had a heavy, Battlestar Galactica feel, while the OT was always light in spirit even in dark scenes. I'm waiting on a few other opinions. Right now I'm ranking it below TFA (after the OT obviously) but like I said it's not a neutral ranking, it's because TFA has characters and ships I'm incredibly attached to, but Rogue One has a better script for sure and it connects to the OT flawlessly.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbis diablo (View Post)
One has said that it's the best SW movie ever since ESB, which I thought was a ridiculous statement Because nothing beats the OT.
People said that about ROTS and TFA too. It annoys me when people are disrespectful towards ROTJ. It's been trendy to bash ROTJ ever since it came out and that's dumb. All the OT movies are great. Nothing else labeled "Star Wars" can touch them.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:52 AM
Elite Fan

I've seen a lot of people who absolutely love it and I'm just thinking "What am I missing???" It didn't feel like a Star Wars film to me at all. I agree with the assessment that it's good sci-fi but not Star Wars. I think the visuals were amazing, but I'm just not getting the hype. I did like the ending. And I find it surprising that anyone was surprised by it. It's all in the line "great personal loss". ALSO! A lot of the stuff from the trailer seemed to hit the edit floor because I noticed stuff was missing.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I did notice some lines from the trailer weren't in the movie, like Jyn's "I rebel" line.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:15 PM
Elite Fan

She called K2 "target practise".
Old 12-19-2016, 02:47 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbis diablo (View Post)
I did notice some lines from the trailer weren't in the movie, like Jyn's "I rebel" line.
That was the one I was waiting for...also the "On your own from the age of 16".
Old 12-19-2016, 02:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I guess they just didn't want to make the movie too long.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:06 PM
Elite Fan

This is just one of those times where I"m baffled because I just wasn't wow'd and everyone else seems to be. Although, the friend I went to the movie with feels the same way I do, so I know I'm not alone.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh no worries, we always have extreme opinions here Some posters here are wow'd by the prequels while I'm not. It's normal.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:15 PM
Elite Fan

People tend to be extreme in their feelings over Star Wars (good or bad).
Old 12-19-2016, 04:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

I know a lot of films do it, but I think it's dishonest to have a lot of things in the trailer that later get cut. I think once they've put them in the trailer they're kind of morally bound to put them in the fim. Otherwise it's false advertising.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:31 PM
Elite Fan

^It really bugs me. I feel like those things that got cut were because of whatever rewrites they did. And despite the content of the film, the overall feeling didn't seem that dark to me.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:34 PM
Elite Fan

This is why I'm glad I didn't watch the trailers over and over again. It's good not to get too attached to things you hope to see in the finished product.

Maybe that's why I enjoyed this movie so much. A lot of things actually surprised me. I didn't spend all my time anylising the trailers, trying to figure out what was happening in scenes.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

TFA was darker in certain moments I think, but Rogue One had a solemn "grey" feel from beginning to end.