Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2018, 03:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, Mark has been very vocal about not liking what they did to Luke even before the movie came out. He toned it down a bit, my guess is Disney asked him to.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:36 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah probably
Old 03-14-2018, 04:02 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Yea Mark trolls a lot himself
Old 03-14-2018, 04:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

That he does. But he's honestly one of the nicest and most humble celebs out there, I particularly like how he supports fans who interpret Luke as LGBTQ, he's embracing the idea.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Police (View Post)
Just because you are a Luke fan, doesn't mean Mark has to cater to you all the time. You think Mark and the rest enjoy being bombarded with insults or hot takes by offended fans 24/7? Rian even got death and rape threats, so I think fans should be able to take a joke or two.

Well put. I'm seriously confused by people who expect Mark Hamill to keep the same negative view of the Sequels' Luke Skywalker that he only had in the INITIAL stages of making TFA and TLJ. He has said over and over that upon reflection, he has re-evaluated his view and he's very respectful of Rian Johnson's work.

The fact that people seem to rely on Mark Hamill's older opinions of "not my Luke" in order to put forward their own objections to the movie is really bizarre. Nobody has to like anything, but if you have legitimate complaints then argue them on your own. Don't rely on the actors to back you up. It's actually very unkind to the efforts of the Writer / Director.

As I've said over and over - the Prequels are to me. Totally middle ground. IMO the acting was stiff, the Anidala romance lacked the subtlety required of such an important love story and CGI was blown out left, right and center to compensate for the awkward dialogue. Having said that, I don't dwell on its weaknesses and I definitely don't sit around hoping that the actors and crew will back up my views.

If people have complaints about The Last Jedi, then so be it. Personally, I think it's not the end of the world and also hypocritical given that there was serious backlash to The Force Awakens being a re-hash of A New Hope, and so you'd think that people would relish a story going in different directions rather than sticking to the same formula all the time, but it's a simple case yet again of you can't please everyone.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 03-14-2018, 06:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Mark isn't attacking anybody.
I disagree. I think that's precisely what he's doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a new hope (View Post)
Mark was obviously joking, it's what he does on Twitter.
His "jokes" on Twitter are often aggressive, such as his remarks about Trump. I support his views on Trump, but I don't appreciate the same approach being taken towards Star Wars fans. Just because something's labelled a joke doesn't mean it can't also be an attack.

Quote:
Mark himself has criticized TLJ very harshly when it came out, concerning Luke's storyline, so it's not like he's a fanboy who's making fun of people who didn't like it, he's just having a laugh about how you can't please everyone
Mark has since totally reversed his position on TLJ and become a loyal defender of Rian Johnson. And he obviously feels that justifies him attacking fans who don't love Rian Johnson's film. He's having a laugh all right, a laugh AT fans who didn't like the film. He's mocking us, sneering at us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4brathan&brucas (View Post)
Well put. I'm seriously confused by people who expect Mark Hamill to keep the same negative view of the Sequels' Luke Skywalker that he only had in the INITIAL stages of making TFA and TLJ. He has said over and over that upon reflection, he has re-evaluated his view and he's very respectful of Rian Johnson's work.

The fact that people seem to rely on Mark Hamill's older opinions of "not my Luke" in order to put forward their own objections to the movie is really bizarre. Nobody has to like anything, but if you have legitimate complaints then argue them on your own. Don't rely on the actors to back you up. It's actually very unkind to the efforts of the Writer / Director.
This discussion is not about Mark's view of TLJ, but about his behavior towards the fans. I couldn't care less anymore what Mark thinks about TLJ, but I do take issue with him attacking fans for not liking it. Same as I took issue with him ranting against fans who disliked the Prequels. He obviously thinks it's ok to attack fans who dislike particular Star Wars projects. In my opinion a classy star doesn't attack fans.

Quote:
As I've said over and over - the Prequels are to me. Totally middle ground. IMO the acting was stiff, the Anidala romance lacked the subtlety required of such an important love story and CGI was blown out left, right and center to compensate for the awkward dialogue. Having said that, I don't dwell on its weaknesses and I definitely don't sit around hoping that the actors and crew will back up my views.
Again, this isn't about those people backing up fans' views, it's about them not attacking fans for disliking the films.

Quote:
If people have complaints about The Last Jedi, then so be it. Personally, I think it's not the end of the world and also hypocritical given that there was serious backlash to The Force Awakens being a re-hash of A New Hope, and so you'd think that people would relish a story going in different directions rather than sticking to the same formula all the time, but it's a simple case yet again of you can't please everyone.
It is entirely unnecessary for you to accuse people of being hypocritical for disliking a film you like. It is also inaccurate. It's hardly hypocritical to dislike both TFA and TLJ for similar reasons.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

Mark is allowed to have a different opinion than fans and he's allowed to defend Rian if he wants to. You're projecting your expectations onto him and that's unfair. He's a person not a puppet whose only purpose is to please audiences. If you feel so strongly about his (imo) innocent jokes, you should feel even stronger about fans who are sending him, Rian and other cast members straight up death threats.

But it's honestly not that deep, you're acting as if he literally attacked and harassed fans for their views and he didn't do that. He's sarcastic, that's all there is to it.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Mark is allowed to have a different opinion than fans and he's allowed to defend Rian if he wants to.
Sure. But he's not allowed to take that farther into attacking the fans.

Quote:
You're projecting your expectations onto him and that's unfair.
My expectation that he show some class and not attack the fans? No, I think that's quite fair on my my part.

Quote:
He's a person not a puppet whose only purpose is to please audiences.
He's a star with fame, wealth and power and as such he has a responsibility not to use that power to stoop so low as to attack the fans.

Quote:
If you feel so strongly about his (imo) innocent jokes, you should feel even stronger about fans who are sending him, Rian and other cast members straight up death threats.
Those fans are ordinary people with no power and no importance. Their actions have little significance.

Unlike Mark Hamill, ordinary fans have no power or fame in our society and thus what they say does not have the sort of significance Mark's statements have.

Quote:
But it's honestly not that deep, you're acting as if he literally attacked and harassed fans for their views and he didn't do that. He's sarcastic, that's all there is to it.
You think sarcasm can't be an attack? You must live in a different world than me. His "joke" was a big sneer at fans who didn't like TLJ.

Let's not forget, he's done this before. He went into a big video rant some years ago, complaining about fans who didn't like the Prequels.

Last edited by sum1; 03-15-2018 at 12:19 PM
Old 03-14-2018, 06:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Those fans are ordinary people with no power and no importance. Their actions have little significance.
You defending death threats is all I need to know.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:13 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Let's move on guys, this is getting pointless and off topic. Happy thoughts You can continue this discussion via PM if you'd like, because this is going in a loop.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

How maby deleted scenes leaked? I only know about the Finn/BB-8, Rey/Chewie and Luke/Rey ones. Is that all?

Old 03-14-2018, 08:28 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I think so At least so far. But I could be wrong
Old 03-14-2018, 08:28 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Yes agree especially with the gif
Old 03-14-2018, 09:28 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:

How maby deleted scenes leaked? I only know about the Finn/BB-8, Rey/Chewie and Luke/Rey ones. Is that all?

There are also two only few seconds long. One with Kylo waiting for Rey before she arrives at the Supremacy and second one with Luke grieving Han.

And there is also an alternate death of Phasma.

Icon Credit
Old 03-14-2018, 10:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
This discussion is not about Mark's view of TLJ, but about his behavior towards the fans. I couldn't care less anymore what Mark thinks about TLJ, but I do take issue with him attacking fans for not liking it.

I don't see his tweet as an attack. I think he's merely trying to let Rian Johnson know that he DID make a movie to be proud of, and he's fully aware that the fan base are very divided in their views on TLJ. Many of the negative views can't even be classy when they talk to Rian about it on social media. They just yell abuse. It's really not acceptable.

Quote:
It is entirely unnecessary for you to accuse people of being hypocritical for disliking a film you like. It is also inaccurate. It's hardly hypocritical to dislike both TFA and TLJ for similar reasons.

Why does it always come back to this stalemate position? Look, I have no personal issues whatsoever with people who dislike the movie. People can like or dislike whatever they wish. But the reason I stopped coming in this thread is because it started to feel more like an UNappreciation thread with the negativity going on in here. I personally wouldn't want to share opinions in a movie thread if I really felt such intense dislike for it. It's not very fair to people who really did like it. -- Again, let me stress that I have NO problem with criticisms in this thread, as long as they are fair ones.

We should all be able to talk about the movie without attacking each other AND without attacking the actors or crew members who have positive things to say about it.

Am I angry that they killed Luke Skywalker? No. Honestly, no. Because there are still ways to continue his character even though he's dead. And I think the way that Rian Johnson handled it was actually very meaningful and respectful.

Am I upset that they killed Luke? Of course, just like when they killed Han. However, I'm not upset by the way that it was executed in the story. Luke becoming 'One' with the Force as he quietly slipped away was a beautiful image. My upset is fully in terms of the nostalgia value of knowing that Han and Luke are gone.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Closed Thread   Post New Thread