Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2018, 07:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehrItAll (View Post)
I know one thing for sure. I am not collecting the ST box set on DVD. Nor will I watch it when it's on the TV during Star Wars marathons.

The weekend I saw TLJ I went back to watch RotJ and the RotS on TV to feel better.
Okay then.

Um, I'm shocked by some of the negativity in this thread... I swear last time I posted, it was much calmer than this

Look, I'm a huge fan of the Original Trilogy. I can't bear the acting in the Prequels, but I can accept them as canon. That said, I'm sick and tired of the whining from people about how TFA and TLJ have "screwed over" major original characters. It is complete nonsense, and I'm certain if it was actually true, there is NO WAY that major film critics would have rated this movie as high as they have. No way. Most of the people still watching Star Wars are fans of the originals who want to see how these movies continue to play out. There are not a whole bunch of new young people overtaking the fandom (I feel as if Disney taking over LucasFilm has given the wrong impression about who these movies are being catered to), I don't see ANYTHING being ruined... The only thing I see are Mark Hamill and Adam Driver doing impressive jobs to give people a reason to stay interested. The Luke and Kylo tension was gripping in TLJ, even when they weren't in scenes together. I've watched several YouTube videos which have given negative feedback because I've tried to decipher exactly what people's problems are with the movie, and nearly every bit of bad feedback relates to the following things:
1) The over-done humor
2) Finn and Rose pairing
3) Canto Bight
4) Luke's moodiness / Luke as a hologram / Luke's death
5) Leia force projecting like Superman
I won't mention the first three because none of those subplots or characters interested me, I have to admit But Leia's reawakening scene where she powered back like Superman to the ship was a powerful scene. I don't care if you found it funny or cringe-worthy as visual. I found it endearing to see Leia FINALLY show power of her own. Can you imagine the alternative - if Leia had died thinking that Kylo killed his own mother? And he would have to live with that (as if he hasn't got a ton of other burdens to deal with ) and moreover, Leia surviving that part led to her familial reunion to Luke. Now, I can imagine the uproar from Star Wars fandom if we had been deprived of a Luke and Leia scene, just like we were deprived of Luke and Han together Wouldn't have been pretty. So, say what you will, but it's a memorable scene (even if you find it wacky) that honors Carrie in her last Star Wars movie (or movie, full stop). Okay, as for Luke? Can you IMAGINE what he's been through since Kylo blew up the Jedi Temple and took off? The level of emotional trauma that would weigh such a bubbly, positive person like him down is too much to even contemplate. It WOULD change a person. He would NOT be the same Luke we once knew. He also CONSIDERED KILLING HIS NEPHEW, which does NOT make Luke a bad person. He had a terrible, weak moment... And he's spent every day since then punishing himself for it.... Which is why we see him as a broken shell of a man in The Force Awakens who (in The Last Jedi) THROWS THE SKYWALKER LIGHTSABER behind him. Was that funny? No, I don't think so. It was HUMAN. He is ANGRY. He is GRUMPY. He's sick and tired of trying to uphold a family legacy that doesn't mean much to him anymore. He failed with Ben, and now he's determined to push Rey away because HE THINKS SHE DESERVES A BETTER ROLE MODEL. That's my viewpoint. Hologram Luke? Essential to the scene, because human Luke wouldn't have survived those hundreds of blaster shots, let's be real. I don't care how "cool" it might have been. Luke wouldn't have survived that... And he came there for one reason. To let Ben Solo know that Luke still loves him as a nephew, and that he's sorry for the past. Will Ben accept this? Who knows. He might feel duped because he now knows that Luke was force projecting himself and thus he might not feel the apology was entirely sincere. But it was, and I think his last words to Kylo were powerful, and I love how LUKE USES HAN'S COCKY ATTITUDE in his final line ~ "See ya around, kid." As for Luke's death? It made sense to me. It felt like the following chapter to Han's death. Luke's story had gone as far as it could go, all things considered. He came back to say a final goodbye to Leia and Ben, the only two people left who he loves (other than Chewie and R2-D2). Do I think Mark Hamill will be back as Ghost Luke? Yep The fandom loves him and the writers clearly do. Plus, it would tie in with his comments to Kylo that he would "always be with him" if he strikes him "down in anger."

Look, I'll leave it here for now because WOW I'm rambling But my main points of interest in The Last Jedi are things I feel generally satisfied with. I can understand if people aren't happy (you can't please everyone), I can understand if people felt there were bloated subplots with characters who were boring or made silly decisions, but I'm gonna focus on the positives. I'm tired of seeing the Debbie Downers who come looking for complaints (please don't take this the wrong way - I'm not naming or shaming anybody, but I hate to see Rian Johnson receive so much backlash for a movie that he clearly worked hard on). I would take the performances of the four leads (Adam Driver, Mark Hamill, Daisy Ridley and Carrie Fisher) in this any day over any moment of those CGI heavy sequels with awkward, sappy dialogue. Those Force Bond scenes between Rey and Kylo proved that even in moments of silence, if you have talented actors who understand their characters, they can sell you 100% on those specific character-heavy, relationship driven scenes.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 01-27-2018, 08:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4brathan&brucas (View Post)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehrItAll (View Post)
I know one thing for sure. I am not collecting the ST box set on DVD. Nor will I watch it when it's on the TV during Star Wars marathons.

The weekend I saw TLJ I went back to watch RotJ and the RotS on TV to feel better.
Okay then.

Um, I'm shocked by some of the negativity in this thread... I swear last time I posted, it was much calmer than this
It was perfectly calm until you posted your aggressive post.

I'll have you know that Steph, the person you quoted as an example of negativity, was moderator of this board for many years. All of us who inherited this board owe her a debt of gratitude. She's earned the right to her opinion.

I too moderated this board for many years and kept it alive for a long time before that. I've earned the right to have my opinon and express it without being attacked for "negativity." I get it, you loved the new film, but some of us longterm fans were hurt by it and we're entitled to express our pain.

Quote:
Look, I'm a huge fan of the Original Trilogy. I can't bear the acting in the Prequels, but I can accept them as canon. That said, I'm sick and tired of the whining from people about how TFA and TLJ have "screwed over" major original characters. It is complete nonsense, and I'm certain if it was actually true, there is NO WAY that major film critics would have rated this movie as high as they have. No way.
Actually that is precisely WHY film critics have rated the new films so highly. Because film critics love negativity in films. It's precisely because the original trio got it so hard from the new films that the critics liked them so much. I bet if Luke hadn't died in TLJ it wouldn't have gotten half so favourable reviews.

The new films have certainly screwed over the original trio. TFA: Han without his edge, gets killed off, Leia subdued and cut down to a small role, Han & Leia made into bad parents and broken up, Luke restricted to a cameo. TLJ: Luke made responsible for Kylo's behavior, cut off from the Force and killed off.

Quote:
Most of the people still watching Star Wars are fans of the originals who want to see how these movies continue to play out. There are not a whole bunch of new young people overtaking the fandom
Actually, there are. And there are a whole lot of people of any age who got interested in Star Wars for the first time with Disney's new Star Wars, whether or not they'd seen the earlier films previously.

Quote:
I don't see ANYTHING being ruined...
Maybe you don't, but I sure do.

Quote:
Okay, as for Luke? Can you IMAGINE what he's been through since Kylo blew up the Jedi Temple and took off? The level of emotional trauma that would weigh such a bubbly, positive person like him down is too much to even contemplate. It WOULD change a person. He would NOT be the same Luke we once knew. He also CONSIDERED KILLING HIS NEPHEW, which does NOT make Luke a bad person. He had a terrible, weak moment... And he's spent every day since then punishing himself for it.... Which is why we see him as a broken shell of a man in The Force Awakens who (in The Last Jedi) THROWS THE SKYWALKER LIGHTSABER behind him.
This is the same Luke who held out hope endlessly that his evil father could be redeemed and refused to kill him. And he's about to kill the young nephew of his that he's training? No, I don't see it. That's not Luke. And I know Mark Hamill agrees with me, because he complained about what they gave him to portray for Luke in TLJ. He thought it was out of character for Luke and it was.

Quote:
Look, I'll leave it here for now because WOW I'm rambling But my main points of interest in The Last Jedi are things I feel generally satisfied with. I can understand if people aren't happy (you can't please everyone), I can understand if people felt there were bloated subplots with characters who were boring or made silly decisions, but I'm gonna focus on the positives. I'm tired of seeing the Debbie Downers who come looking for complaints (please don't take this the wrong way - I'm not naming or shaming anybody, but I hate to see Rian Johnson receive so much backlash for a movie that he clearly worked hard on).
I'm afraid that by calling us "Debbie Downers" you are attacking us, and attacking groups of fans is not allowed on FF. I've modded three boards on FF and I've been a member for nearly 16 years, so I know what I'm talking about.

As for Rian Johnson, I hate to see him get so much praise for doing so much damage to somethng that has mattered to me for nearly 40 years.

Quote:
I would take the performances of the four leads (Adam Driver, Mark Hamill, Daisy Ridley and Carrie Fisher) in this any day over any moment of those CGI heavy sequels with awkward, sappy dialogue.
And I would prefer to take my own speculation any day over either the Prequel Trilogy or the Sequel Trilogy.

Last edited by sum1; 01-27-2018 at 08:21 AM
Old 01-27-2018, 09:38 AM
Part-Time Fan

I just wanna say, I felt like some of you guys coming out of this movie.

I totally understand how you feel, I had a knot in my stomach. I guess I was mourning Luke and had very high expectations coming in, which weren't really met.

For a while I hated the movie, and everyone involved who took these decisions.

But it simply wasn't what I was expecting.

I understand now that what we wanted to see, the OT heroes being heroes again... it's just not their time anymore, and the only way to have them play a role in this story is to have them be struggling again, otherwise it's a nonstory. And what better way than to do so through their son?

Don't forget guys that the middle chapter of the trilogy is supposed to be the dark one. The bottom pit, where everything seems hopeless and the heroes have mostly failed. The happy ending isn't on us yet.

I'm certain that IX's ending will redeem Ben Solo and prove that the Skywalker family have, instead, succeeded, not failed like so many of you here think they did, and I totally understand your point, I went there too. I thought "holy crap, ROTJ is RUINED, the ending is sad " but... it's not sad yet. It seems it is, but nothing's certain.

I thought the main draw for me in these new movies was the OT characters returning but... they've had their story, now it's time for someone else's. Coming out of TFA I liked Finn's dynamics, not really anymore as I think TLJ didn't know what to do with him, but Rey and Kylo are terrific characters, and I can't wait to see more of them and their relationship evolve. It's definitely the best part of TLJ, by a mile.

Also, last point, they went far and beyond to show that Luke can at least partially affect the real world even when projecting (the dices), and also shown that Yoda can influence the real world by summoning lightning... All that points to a force ghost in IX returning in grand fashion. And if not in IX, maybe even later. Who knows?

Anyway, we have no idea where IX is going now, and that's exceptional praise I guess seeing as blockbusters are so predictable these days. All we know for certain is that it will further the relationship between Rey and Kylo, and I'm fully on board with that.

But yeah, I totally understand you guys, I was in your shoes before, but I eventually realized that when you focus too much on the details you hate in TLJ, you can't see the ones you love
Old 01-27-2018, 10:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Okay I'm back

Quote:
I would take the performances of the four leads (Adam Driver, Mark Hamill, Daisy Ridley and Carrie Fisher) in this any day over any moment of those CGI heavy sequels with awkward, sappy dialogue.
I meant to say CGI heavy prequels.

Okay, I need to address a few things, because it seems my post has caused a misunderstanding.

sum1 Please forgive any offense my words caused you, as I already stressed this in my post - I was not aiming my complaints towards a single person on or anywhere else. I was referring to the outcry from people who act as if The Last Jedi was the worst thing to ever happen to Star Wars. You should know better than anyone that I am NOT a trouble-stirrer. I've been a visitor of this board for years (okay I took a long break but I came back when I was ready) and I'm a HUGE Han Solo fan. I adored his relationship with Leia. My entire reason for watching The Force Awakens was my deep admiration for Han and Leia together. It had nothing to do with "oh cool, those new actors look great, playing those new characters - I literally did not give a damn about anyone new coming into this trilogy. In fact, like you, I was turned off by the idea of Star Wars trying to reinvent itself. I didn't think it was necessary. I only cared about what the writers would give Han, Leia and Luke to handle over the course of this new trilogy.

Did it meet our expectations? No, of course not. Should it have? No, it shouldn't! I expect cinema to surprise us. I want things to happen in this Universe that take twists and turns without outright causing offense to the fandom.

For you to say that I have somehow stirred the pot... Well, it's not fair because that certainly wasn't my intention. I'm simply responding with a well-rounded viewpoint to sum up my response to certain extreme reactions I've seen since this movie came out. I've seen so much abuse shouted at Rian Johnson over the past month (he's even highlighted it himself and tried to laugh it off), and he doesn't deserve it. I wasn't calling YOU OR ANYBODY ELSE HERE a debbie downer. I was talking about the general critiques of the movie who have been on YouTube and social media mocking everything that The Last Jedi stood for. I am actually currently embarrassed to be a part of this fandom, because I see things being said to Mr Johnson on twitter that are completely out of line. He hasn't committed a crime. He did what JJ did in TFA. He focused on the new characters and used the old ones to further the themes and tribulations of the story. Maybe it's not to your liking or to anybody else's, but it's his job to take an idea and bring his own vision to it. He said he had read JJ's TFA script beforehand and went from there. If people don't like that? Well, tough. It's done. Just like the Prequels are done. Did Harrison Ford like his role in Return of the Jedi? Apparently not, but many of us did. Did they kill Han Solo off just to appease his complaints? Who knows.

Quote:
The new films have certainly screwed over the original trio. TFA: Han without his edge, gets killed off, Leia subdued and cut down to a small role, Han & Leia made into bad parents and broken up, Luke restricted to a cameo. TLJ: Luke made responsible for Kylo's behavior, cut off from the Force and killed off.

The 30 year gap since ROTJ has to be taken into account here. Han didn't lose his edge, so much as he returned to what he "was good at" (his own words). Is that a regression from the Original Trilogy? Perhaps, but it's to be expected, given the circumstances. He's not going to be happy, arrogant and upbeat after the losses they have all suffered. Leia "subdued" makes sense, because they're both depressed over the loss of their son and the breakdown of their relationship. The "bad parents" plot - well, I didn't see it that way at all. Leia thought she was doing the right thing in sending him to Luke.

The whole thing is a ripple effect of a long chain of events set in motion by Snoke taking advantage of Luke's poor judgement when he saw into Ben's mind a dark future which threatened everything the Jedi stood for. And why does Luke Skywalker have to remain as an innocent angel all his life? This story line is Kylo is perhaps the most interesting thing that the writers have ever done with him. A flawed hero is a more relatable one. This is clearly the problem amongst the fandom - people have such high, angelic expectations of Luke, when really, he's just a country boy who embarked upon this journey and he was in way over his head since the beginning. He was thrust into darkness, discovered Vader was his father, Leia was his sister... And was left to run the Jedi temple alone. It is not exactly shocking that these burdens would change him and make him more jaded and more reckless. When Luke tried to kill Ben, it was a split second decision that he immediately tried to reverse. Ben wakes up and that is that. Too late. But the point is that Luke realized straight away that he couldn't live with killing his own nephew, regardless of the reason he might have had to do it.

Quote:
I know Mark Hamill agrees with me, because he complained about what they gave him to portray for Luke in TLJ. He thought it was out of character for Luke and it was.

He's also regrouped his thoughts and has since come out and expressed his deep sadness that people in the fandom are using his previous reservations about what was done to Luke's character in TLJ as a shallow reason to attack Rian Johnson. He posted something on twitter not so long ago about his regrets for expressing himself so bluntly, and he's able to put aside whatever he feels himself to appreciate TLJ as a solid part of Star Wars canon. Every day, Mark interacts with Rian and TLJ fans online. Would he do that if he was so angered by the movie? No. He's an honest guy and he wouldn't be so upbeat in the aftermath of this movie premiering if he had actually taken it that personally.

Mark Hamill is just an actor playing a role He was extremely grateful, like Harrison and Carrie were, to be invited back to this franchise after decades away from it. He doesn't have full control over what happens to Luke any more than we do. With time, Hamill came to realize this, and has simply embraced it for what it is.

Okay, I just want to add that people had issues with Snoke's seemingly premature death and to me, this was all part of a greater plan to reshape the story into Kylo Ren's story. TFA teaser trailer showcased Kylo as the big new villain of this trilogy, so I feel that Snoke was a red herring all along. I don't think this was a hasty decision by Rian Johnson, I think fans wrongly assumed Snoke was the new Palpatine who would sit around giving Kylo orders for all 3 movies. The scene where Kylo kills Snoke was brutal and effective, serving two purposes:
1) Kylo moves up the ranks
2) Kylo would save Rey's life before the life of his own team.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 01-27-2018, 02:15 PM
Master Fan

AlexLegroux and Daxtreme, glad you guys are enjoying the new films.

Sum1, although I don’t share similar sentiments about Rey (but with one movie still left, who knows), I do understand what it feels like to be let down by something you were looking forward to. Sorry this character didn’t live up to your expectations, especially since she plays such a major role in these sequels.

4brathan&brucas, based on your behavior on this thread and on a different one on this board, I agree with Sum1. Your posts can come off as aggressive and intolerant of others' views, especially when you often go after rl people and their opinions rather than keep the focus on the actual characters and storylines. Not cool.

Last edited by Tech Noir; 01-27-2018 at 03:48 PM Reason: adding a prepositional phrase. :)
Old 01-27-2018, 04:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
One Direction

We will all just agree to disagree on this. I don't think anyone's posts should be seen as an attack, we're all just expressing our opinions.

But I have to say one thing regarding all of this, it does blow my mind when people say they prefer the prequel movies over the ST, because the quality of the PT is absolutely horrible. On the new movies you can argue that some characters are not themselves (even if I disagree), but the scenes are at least well done, the dialogues are good, the acting is amazing (don't even get me started on the acting on the prequels) and even if the plot did not meet your expectations, it's a great movie overall, and you can tell that Rian put a lot of work into it. And the prequels... Have none of this. They turned Darth Vader into a joke, IMO it's not even comparable to what happened with Luke on this movie.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:05 AM
Fan Forum Legend

^We have a mighty Moderator Manager who has spoken So please let's keep the peace. I love that this movie is causing so much discussion, but we gotta respect opinions and not be defensive.

With that said, I also agree completely with Catia about the prequels and the sequels. To me it's very hard to understand how someone can prefer the prequels. Everyone's entitled to their taste and opinion but like you said I think the sequels are higher in quality by miles. Not to mention I personally think it ruins Anakin/Vader much more than what people are saying about TLJ ruining Luke (which I disagree with).
Old 01-28-2018, 10:13 AM
Part-Time Fan

Don't lose hope, everyone who disliked VIII

IX may yet change your mind on the whole thing!
Old 01-28-2018, 12:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Okay then.

Look, I'm a huge fan of the Original Trilogy. I can't bear the acting in the Prequels, but I can accept them as canon. That said, I'm sick and tired of the whining from people about how TFA and TLJ have "screwed over" major original characters.
I didn't even think I was whining. I was calmly expressing my thoughts and feelings.

If anyone feels they love and enjoy the ST, great happy for you. But I walked away with very different feelings. So instead of focusing my energy on the parts that let me down I will go back and watch the OT and PT because those make me happy. (Yes, I know the PT is not perfect but it still felt like SW to me. I feel that their over all plot was consistent, which I do not feel the same about the ST. But that's for a different day.)

Quote:
I won't mention the first three because none of those subplots or characters interested me, I have to admit But Leia's reawakening scene where she powered back like Superman to the ship was a powerful scene. I don't care if you found it funny or cringe-worthy as visual. I found it endearing to see Leia FINALLY show power of her own. Can you imagine the alternative - if Leia had died thinking that Kylo killed his own mother? And he would have to live with that (as if he hasn't got a ton of other burdens to deal with ) and moreover, Leia surviving that part led to her familial reunion to Luke. Now, I can imagine the uproar from Star Wars fandom if we had been deprived of a Luke and Leia scene, just like we were deprived of Luke and Han together Wouldn't have been pretty. So, say what you will, but it's a memorable scene (even if you find it wacky) that honors Carrie in her last Star Wars movie (or movie, full stop).
It didn't look right to me. I wanted her to use the Force in other ways. Not floating in space - which I think is impossible/improbable for anyone. It's like Darth Maul coming back from the dead with spider legs all over again. If they bring back Snoke with spider legs I won't be surprised.

I liked the scene with Luke and Leia reuniting. That pleased me, and I thought the Force projection ability was cool.

Quote:
Okay, as for Luke? Can you IMAGINE what he's been through since Kylo blew up the Jedi Temple and took off? The level of emotional trauma that would weigh such a bubbly, positive person like him down is too much to even contemplate. It WOULD change a person. He would NOT be the same Luke we once knew. He also CONSIDERED KILLING HIS NEPHEW, which does NOT make Luke a bad person. He had a terrible, weak moment...
I feel that Luke, no matter what, would never stand over his nephew and think about killing him. I'm not saying Luke is perfect. I'm not saying he wouldn't have temptations or moments of weakness, but it would not be to the level it was by standing over Ben thinking about killing him. All it does is gain sympathy and validation for Ben/Kylo, which I have none for him.

Quote:
And he's spent every day since then punishing himself for it.... Which is why we see him as a broken shell of a man in The Force Awakens who (in The Last Jedi) THROWS THE SKYWALKER LIGHTSABER behind him. Was that funny? No, I don't think so. It was HUMAN. He is ANGRY. He is GRUMPY. He's sick and tired of trying to uphold a family legacy that doesn't mean much to him anymore. He failed with Ben, and now he's determined to push Rey away because HE THINKS SHE DESERVES A BETTER ROLE MODEL.
Even with the guilt he would not abandon his sister and best friend to deal with the consequences. He's stay and fight along side them. Luke is not a ditcher.

In my opinion this was just weak writing. The new people in charge do not get Luke. So, I'm going back to what makes me happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
I'll have you know that Steph, the person you quoted as an example of negativity, was moderator of this board for many years. All of us who inherited this board owe her a debt of gratitude. She's earned the right to her opinion.
Thank you, sum
Old 01-28-2018, 12:30 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Yes, I know the PT is not perfect but it still felt like SW to me. I feel that their over all plot was consistent, which I do not feel the same about the ST. But that's for a different day.
Well, I'd like to know why do you think that the plot is not consistent. So far, I feel like the there's a very clear path they're following.

Icon Credit
Old 01-28-2018, 12:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Wait, the prequels were not consistent, regardless of ST feelings They are known for inconsistencies. They either made things in the OT not make sense or just make stuff up all together or mess up characters' ages, personalities, storylines, etc. Just need to throw that out there, regardless of the sequels being or not being consistent.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:51 PM
Part-Time Fan

I must agree with the above posters on the Prequel inconsistencies.

Luke: Leia, do you remember your mother, your real mother?

Leia: Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.

Luke: What do you remember?

Leia: Just images really, feelings.

Luke: Tell me.

Leia: She was, very beautiful, kind, but sad. Why are you asking me this?

-----------

Maybe Leia remembers her mother from the Force but you know... Padme died when Leia was 10 seconds old, it's quite far-fetched. If people had problems with Rey using the Force in TFA, I can't begin to think how they'd see a 10-seconds old baby using it

And that's not all. Sadly, the prequels introduce a few other inconsistencies with the OT (Uncle Owen purchases C3-PO for a second time in ANH? How does that make any sense?), to not see this is to simply refuse to see the truth I like them for what they are though!
Old 01-28-2018, 12:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

They tried to explain the Leia mistake in a comic, commenting about the force, but it was so obvious they were trying to fix a mistake. And that's just one of the inconsistencies, there were endless, especially regarding Anakin's age and the whole midichlorians mess, to name a few. There are a lot of articles about it if anyone's interested in seeing the huge list, I just don't wanna list them all here cause we'll get too off topic.

However I don't find anything inconsistent about the sequels so far. Some people might not like the direction some characters took, but that's not inconsistency, that's characterization. The consistency of the timelines and plot were all on point.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

I should clarify. I am not saying the PT is consistent with the OT, there are inconsistencies there. I am saying that the PT as a stand alone has a more consistent plot thought out.

Palpatine is playing both sides of the war. He covers his tracks with the Clones, making it look like the Jedi ordered them. The Jedi got played.
His patience manipulations is consistent.

The ST I feel like Rain and JJ never even talked. Or that Rain never saw TFA.
Han died, what like 2 days ago, or one week before Rey shows up to Luke's island? Then all of a sudden after just watching Kylo kill his own father she gains sympathy for him when they Force Skype? It's inconsistent with the timeline.

The Force Skyping was a cool ability. Her sudden change in her feelings is not.

Then there was the poor development of explaining her connection to the Force. The mirror scene was a very cool visual, but it really told us nothing of why she has a connection to Anakin's lightsaber. Why she saw Luke's Jedi Academy burning. It was leading us to think she was there, but now we learn she wasn't? It's sloppy. I would not be surprised if JJ goes back and changes Rey's parents to someone we know or someone important. JJ would so do that.

Then there is the whole confusion of the map. Why was there even a map if Luke didn't want to be found? What a waste of a plot line in TFA.

So, yeah. That is why I feel the ST is inconsistent and poorly written.

Yes, the PT has some cringe-y dialogue that GL could have used some help with, but at least the over all plot of Palpatine becoming the Emperor and the Jedi fading away made sense and matched up with each PT movie.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:33 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh I see what you mean now Steph. That the prequels as stand alone movies are consistent whereas you don't feel the same about TFA and TLJ so far. Thanks for clearing it up. I can understand that point even if I don't fully agree with it.