Old 05-16-2019, 03:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

See if it will ever change see what happens with 2nd application
Old 05-17-2019, 07:23 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Gotta keep trying
Old 05-17-2019, 07:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Saturday is usually the busiest day of a convention and it showed at the queue for the shuttle. In the morning my sister and I met Megan, Lea and Nicki at the line for the shuttle and it was a cold wait. I was dressed as Padmé that day and I didn't want to bring a jacket or scarf. It was going to be a long day of running from queue to queue and I didn't want to carry it around. So while waiting on that line outside I was shivering.

A few shuttles passed us by and they were full. We waited about 40 minutes and about 4 shuttles passed us by. We were about to order a Lyft when finally an empty shuttle arrived.

I made my costume. At first I was going to dress in the leather corset look from AotC but then I thought about the Chicago weather and also what costume I could finish in time for Celebration so I went with the green velvet gown from RotS, minus the pregnancy belly. It is more of an "inspired by" look than an exact replica. The fabric is actually pleated velour and I beaded the pin myself with the symbol of Naboo.

Ugh, the hem got caught in the escalator! Luckily I pulled it out in time, but I have to clean some grease off the hem. Such a cosplay noob move!

Megan originally was going to cosplay as Medal Ceremony Leia but her costume was not going to be repaired in time. So she dressed as Bespin Leia (the dress is from Her Universe).

Ever since Celebration Orlando 2017 I have had hope that Hayden would attend another Celebration. Bummed that we missed Orlando, Megan and I vowed to attend the next one and if Hayden came we would go in together for a photo op.

With the exception of The Clone Wars cast photo op (which to save on cost Megan and I decided to do together) I held off on other ops, waiting for Hayden's announcement. He was the last to be announced. Since he was a bit pricy I sacrificed my other wish list items:
- I also considered getting a photo op with Freddie Prinze Jr. and Jason Isaacs, or with the Rebels cast (although the voice actor for Zeb was not there)
- and then I was also considering getting autographs from cast of TCW and Rebels.
- I would also like Ahmed Best's autograph on a photo I have with him and Jake Lloyd from Big Apple Con in 2010.

After Hayden was announced I only ended up getting Warwick's photo op and Matt Lanter's autograph.

The thing is Hayden doesn't go to many cons, but Jason, Freddie and Warwick do. So I hope to see them at another con or at another Celebration. Hopefully the whole cast of Rebels will be at the next one for a cast photo.

The first thing for the day was that Megan and I had a photo op with 7 cast members from The Clone Wars.

Left to right: Dee Bradley Baker (Captain Rex), Matt Lanter (Anakin Skywalker), Catherine Taber (Padmé Amidala), Matthew Wood (General Grievous), Tom Kane (Yoda), Ashley Eckstein (Ahsoka Tano), James Arnold Taylor (Obi-Wan Kenobi).

There were only three photo booths and lots of photo sessions with a large cast for all the combos of photos. The solo ops, the Anakin-Ahsoka, Anakin-Ahsoka-Obi-Wan....so on and so forth. So of course they were running behind. And of course there was confusion with being on the right line. Megan and I were getting worried that we'd miss our group window for Hayden's autograph. (In addition to having timed group sessions for the photo ops they also had them for autographing for crowd control.) With TCW cast we were Group 1 at 11:20 AM. For Hayden's autographs we were Group 7 at noon.

In the end we didn't miss our autographing window, but it was close. When going into the photo booth the people at Epic told people that no individual hellos would be allowed. Get in, take the photo and keep moving.

Walking in Ashley immediately remembered me. She and Catherine loved mine and Megan's cosplay.

From there we immediately went to the queue for Hayden's autograph. There was a man behind us with a GIANT portfolio on wheels to hold his 9 posters. NINE GIANT POSTERS! That is $1,800 dollars before taxes and admin fees. The posters were signed by every other Star Wars actor known to man. I know he will end up selling these posters for thousands of dollars, but I faint at the thought of paying over $1,800!

As we got closer my heart started pounding. I had to organize my thoughts so that when I spoke to Hayden I would be articulate.

Usually I get my photo print signed, but the way it was scheduled our autograph was before the photo op. I should have bought a nice piece of art (like Megan did) but instead I picked a photo from the table. The one where Anakin's cape becomes the mask of Vader. It's one of my favorite images but I wish I took the time to buy some art instead. Oh well.

When we get up there I went first. Hayden and I made eye contact, shook hands and I introduced myself.

First I told him that Life As a House holds a special place in my heart because my grandfather built his own house with his sons in Long Island.

He said something positive, I don't remember what because I was so revved up to actually be so close to him. I was trying to keep it together and not embarrass myself. So I went on...
Me: Do you have any big birthday plans next week?
Hayden: No, no big plans.
Me: No dirt biking? (A tradition he had with his brother and friends on their b-days.)
Hayden: (smiling) No.
Me: I guess none that you know of. (It was thing where they surprised the birthday boy.)

He was taking his time to sign, which was really nice because it meant we wouldn't get rushed away, so after a small pause of watching him sign I went on to say that "Anakin is my favorite and I am a big Anakin and Padmé shipper, (and gesturing to my costume) obviously."

He thanked me and then I thanked him and wished him Happy Birthday.

Then I kind of stayed off to the side to wait for Megan. She told him how she loves Anakin and his performance. I couldn't really hear the details and I also just spent the time watching him.

He is just the sweetest and so personable. I love him.

We had some time before the photo op so Megan and I met up with my sister to grab some lunch. My sister had gone to the Changing Roles of Women in the Star Wars Universe panel.

This is what my sister had to say about that panel:
"The Changing Roles of Women panel had 5 women on it. One was dressed as Rose Tico, another a X-wing pilot, another was Asohka, another was General Leia, and another was Ruth Bader Ginsburg. The lady dressed as Leia said in the past people would go up to her and say, "You look like Carrie Fischer," and she'd say "I know." And then they'd ask, "Do you dress up as her?" And she'd say "Yes," and they'd inevitably ask, "Do you have the gold bikini?" And she'd hate that because Leia is so much more than the gold bikini. But now she said she has "dude bros" coming up to her when she's dresses as General Leia and telling her how much they love General Leia, and it makes her happy how they see Leia as more than the gold bikini girl."

After a quick bite (in a far corner of the building since there was nowhere else to sit) Megan and I went to our Hayden photo op. We were group Group 2 at 3:10.

Megan and I had planned to do like Charlie's (or Anakin's) Angles poses. As time was getting closer to buy the ops Megan asked if two of her friends, Colleen and Lea, could join in. I had no issue with it. It certainly helps with the cost. Up to 4 people are allowed in a photo. Colleen was wearing the Ahsoka dress from Her Universe and she had a lightsaber. Lea was wearing a Darth Vader sweater.

As we walked in the booth Hayden remembered me from the autograph and it felt to nice to see the recognition in his eyes. *melts*

With 5 of us in the photo we were planning before hand how we would pose and Colleen said she would get down in front and even practiced her kneeling. It was like one knee is bent and the other leg is stretch out behind her. Well as she was going down (it took her a couple of tries) Hayden said, "Oh, she's going for it!" I loved that. I'll never forget it.

The photographer took the photo and looked at it on his screen and then said, "Everyone keep your eyes open." And he took a second photo. (When it was printed out we saw that Lea had blinked.)

So we got to spend a few seconds more with Hayden. And all I could think was I have my hand on his lower back. *dies*

After we sat down outside the photo area and we were waiting for my sister to meet up with us so we could go to the Sisters of the Force panel. As we were waiting a parade of cosplayers from the 501st and Rebel Legion passed by.
Very cool.

We said goodbye to Lea and Colleen led us through the McCormick Place to the sky walk (pun!) to the Wintrust Arena across the street. What a trek! And security made me throw out my water, telling me we can refill them at the fountains inside. SO what is the freaking point?

Anyway, the Sisters of the Force was an amazing panel.
It was very emotional and inspiring. I cried a few times and was glad the photo ops were over. They spoke about fans who have battled cancer, bullying and depression. I loved Athena's story about her interview at Skywalker Ranch and her friendship with Dave Filoni. I also loved the inspiring story Suzie McGrath told about growing up with a stutter and now she is a voice actress. That is just amazing.

After the panel we hauled it back across the street and through security to the other building where we went on the queue to pick up the Sister of the Force constellation poster. Doing that I missed the panel for Behind the Scenes of the Audiobook Recording Studio.

The last panel that my sister and I went to was Star Wars and Tourism. The panelist shared their photos and stories from when they visited the filming locations in Tunisia, Norway, California, England and Ireland. It was pretty cool but I wish they had visited Lake Como too.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:23 PM
Fan Forum Legend

The Hayden picture
Old 05-18-2019, 07:07 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Ooh Steph So much fun Love the pics so much!
Old 05-19-2019, 10:36 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Sounds like it was amazing
Old 05-20-2019, 07:07 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Old 05-20-2019, 04:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It would assuming Celebration
Old 05-21-2019, 07:17 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah I hope I go someday
Old 05-21-2019, 08:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thank you ladies!

I hope we can all meet one day at a Celebration!
Old 05-22-2019, 08:02 AM
Fan Forum Legend

That'd be the best
Old 05-28-2019, 01:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I hope too Steph
Old 05-28-2019, 06:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

Star Wars Celebration Chicago 2019 – Sunday, April 14

It was snowing! The news actually said it was a record: 16 hours of uninterrupted snowfall. The most ever during the daytime.

And then by Tuesday it would be 70!
Thanks a lot Chicago.

The snow canceled many flights. I heard on a podcast that there were rumors that George Lucas and perhaps even Ewan McGregor were supposed to fly in for the 20th Anniversary of The Phantom Menace panel on Monday, but their flights were cancelled.

I didn’t get to go to the TPM panel because my sister and I were heading home, but those that went said it was a bit lack luster and the end felt like it was scrapped together at the last minute because they didn’t have their surprise guests. Who knows?

My sister and I went to a panel in the morning: This Deal is Getting Worse All the Time. It was a cute interactive game. They gave out raffle tickets and if your number was called you went up to play any variety of games for the chance to win a prize. But then some were mystery packages and you had to make a choice, a gamble really, to either keep your prize or upgrade it for the mystery package that could be a better or worse prize. It was fun to watch but I was glad my number wasn’t called. The only prizes I liked were Star Wars lunch boxes. I don’t care to collect any toys.

At 12:30 I had a ticket for Matt Lanter’s autograph. I brought my Clone Wars cast photo for him to sign. It being day 4 I could tell he was tired. He was quiet, but very nice and appreciative. I said that I was so emotional when it was announced that TCW was returning and I can’t wait to see it. I mentioned that I was sad Timeless was cancelled but glad at least that it got some closure. Then I also said it was cool that he met Hayden and to have a photo of the two Anakins together. He said Hayden is a nice guy and that was the first time they had met.

My sister and I met up with our friend Megan for The Clone Wars panel. We decided with the snow and the huge pain it was to go over to the Wintrust Arena that instead we stayed where we were and see it in the Live Streaming room. So we queued up early for the people without the reservation QR codes. We made it in and it was a very emotional panel.

You can watch the whole panel here. I am going to make some references with the time stamp.

I cried during the trailer, and especially during the scene when Ahsoka reunites with the 332nd Legion of Clone Troopers. They have Ahsoka’s markings painted on their helmets. (40:40).

We were shown a very exciting scene (at 30:36) with Ahsoka riding a speeder bike in the underworld of Coruscant (Level 1313).

The 332nd Legion and Ahsoka’s scene all brought back memories of a panel I went to at Celebration Anaheim – The Untold Clone Wars. Back then we were shown all the concept art for theses stories and it is just so wonderful that we now get to see some of those concepts and stories get told. I am so happy The Clone Wars was saved.

I love at 10:50 when Ashley reads the text message between her and Dee Bradley Baker about how she found out TCW was saved. That is the best story!

Oh, also, Sam Witwer does a great impression of Dave Filoni. Like spot on! Its at 14:10.

At 17:15 – Ashley talks about having to go back to CW Ahsoka after doing Rebels Ahsoka.

19:40 Bad Batch! (Which was also discussed in Anaheim.)

I wonder if some Darth Maul fans are already creating Maul in kilt (34:35) cosplay.

After the panel was over we got our poster of Ahsoka as we were leaving the room. So glad we didn’t have to stand on another queue for that because I had to haul ass to the Del Rey booth for a signing of From a Certain Point of View.

Ten authors were there to sign: Claudia Gray, Delilah Dawson, Alexander Freed, Jason Fry, Daniel Jose Older, Zoraida Córdova, Charles Soule, Cavan Scott, John Jackson Miller, and E. K. Johnston.

Because TCW panel ended at 4:30 and the signing was starting at 5m we got there 15 minutes before it started. (Another reason it was a good idea not to go to the Wintrust Arena). My sister was with me but really only I was on the queue. But it was an unofficial standby line.

Del Rey really, really underestimated the crowds for this. 10 authors together to sign a popular Star Wars book at a Star Wars convention? This should have been done in a room with a side room for queueing instead of at the Exhibit Hall.

Anyway, our standby line became official when we got our tickets.

I had bookmarked the pages for the authors to easily find their stories to sign. I just wish some of the authors had pens and not sharpie markers because the sharpies bled through.

Obviously the line had to move fast but I managed to get photos of everyone. I briefly told Claudia Gray that I was two hours away from finishing Bloodline and she kind of spoiled a character’s fate. She felt bad but said I don’t know what happens though. So I will find out the details soon.

I told Zoraida Córdova that I just finished and really enjoyed Labyrinth Lost and she handed me a sticker that says Brooklyn Bruja.

Sometime after the signing was over I asked the people at the Del Rey Booth if they will do the same POV book for the 40th of The Empire Strikes Back. They said most likely no because it takes time to get all those authors together and publish and it’s too late to start that project with it being 2019 already. So that was a bummer to hear because I would have loved such a book!

Other things that happened on Sunday:

So I didn’t plan on buying the Hallmark C-3PO and R2-D2 Ralph McQuarrie ornaments but there was no line and they had these SWCC exclusives left so I thought, why not?

I went over to Artist Alley because I wanted to see if Brandon Kenny made any progress on his Queen Amidala drawing that he started on Saturday. He hadn’t and it was because he was nervous since he was working up the nerve to propose to his girlfriend, Karen Hallion, on The Star Wars Show. I had not seen it on YouTube yet but that was sweet and amazing. I congratulated him. Then I went on to say how I was watching him on his Instagram painting Rey and I was nervous when he was placing the brush at the edge of her face to have the ink drip down. So we walked about that method and deciding where to plan the dripping.

He was giving out these free postcards of Warwick and Ewoks.

We also went over to Jason Palmer’s booth and he was there this time. I didn’t plan to do this but I splurged and bought his art I had my eye on from Orlando 2017 – the 40th Anniversary of Star Wars. I should have bought it earlier and had Hayden sign it, but oh well, too late.

When I asked Jason’s assistant if he could sign it she said they are pre-signed but then when she pulled out a poster for me she discovered it was not signed and asked him to do so.

So I seized the chance to ask him about the mural and if Thrawn was based off of Pierce Brosnan. He said yes and it was concept he had for years.
For Kanan he looked at Charlie Hunnam. Though he is not an exact look alike I can’t really see Charlie.
For Hera his assistant who does Hera cosplay was the model.
For Ezra Jason looked at a young Tom Cruise, and when he said that I suddenly saw it!
For Ahsoka he looked at Lily Collins because she has full lips and thick eyebrows. So the eyebrows he made white for her markings.

That was very cool to hear him talk about.
That is really it for Celebration Chicago! I am going to (very soon) write up a post just about our short sight seeing in Chicago and a post about the awesome Cosplay I saw it SWCC.

Hope to do this again in 2020 Anaheim!
Old 05-29-2019, 07:58 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh so many cool things Darth Maul in a kilt
Old 05-29-2019, 05:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh thanks for that
Closed Thread   Post New Thread