Old 01-01-2018, 09:57 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Love that picture
Old 01-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

Lovely
Old 01-01-2018, 04:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Great article on Forbes about how Rey is not a Mary Sue. I can't believe people are still calling her that.

Quote:
Rey never saves the day on her own. A true Mary Sue is someone who can win without help, who can triumph over all evils without the aid of friends and allies. And just as Luke wouldn't have been able to blow up the Death Star without Han Solo coming back to the fight, Rey wouldn't have been able to have any of the successes she had in this or the previous film without the help of friends.

Indeed, by the end of the film the Resistance is in tatters and Rey barely manages to usher the rag-tag band of survivors to safety before Kylo Ren and the First Order corner and destroy them. Only Luke's trickery and deception save them; all Rey does is move some rocks.

A true Mary Sue would have turned Kylo Ren, killed Snoke and saved the Resistance fleet. Rey did none of these things. Vice Admiral Holdo ultimately saved the fleet, and Luke saved the last survivors. Rey was just part of a much greater effort.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai.../#2c5494d94500

Something I was thinking about, Rey's wardrobe and hair change happening before the reveal by Kylo: Do you think this is meant to that she already knew what Kylo would confirm since the reason she kept her TFA outfit/hairdo was so that her parents would recognize her? Kind of foreshadowing.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.

Last edited by Karma Police; 01-01-2018 at 04:34 PM
Old 01-02-2018, 09:55 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by a new hope (View Post)
Love that picture
She looks stunning
Old 01-02-2018, 10:51 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Police (View Post)

Something I was thinking about, Rey's wardrobe and hair change happening before the reveal by Kylo: Do you think this is meant to that she already knew what Kylo would confirm since the reason she kept her TFA outfit/hairdo was so that her parents would recognize her? Kind of foreshadowing.
I think there are two reasons for that in the narrative - the first is definitely letting go of her parents and Jakku. The second is transition from that girl to a woman. A big theme in this trilogy is coming of age (this has been said about all three main characters; it's not about their physical age but their stunted emotional age).

From what I understand, this is standard for the heroine's journey.

~Kat
Old 01-02-2018, 11:51 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Still threws me about her hair but it all the same
Old 01-02-2018, 01:17 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

Thanks for that article! I didn't know people were calling Rey a Mary Sue, but it definitely doesn't fit
Old 01-02-2018, 06:05 PM
Fan Forum Star

Not at all

by Jumbo Tsui | Grazia China, January 2018
x
Old 01-03-2018, 02:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheshireKitten (View Post)
I think there are two reasons for that in the narrative - the first is definitely letting go of her parents and Jakku. The second is transition from that girl to a woman. A big theme in this trilogy is coming of age (this has been said about all three main characters; it's not about their physical age but their stunted emotional age).

From what I understand, this is standard for the heroine's journey.
You're probably right, Rey's main story arc was growing up, letting go of her childishness and naivety. I think that changing her hair wasn't necessary to achieve that though. The new hair style seemed less practical and less warrior-like to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thing Remains (View Post)
Thanks for that article! I didn't know people were calling Rey a Mary Sue, but it definitely doesn't fit
It started as soon as the first movie was released back in 2015, even on this board some posters thought she was too perfect and too good at the Jedi stuff. Everything that she was able to do fit the narrative though and wasn't far-fetched and she was far from perfect and still is.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:45 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Rey is a mess, I don't know how people think she's a Mary Sue She's immature, full of anger issues, and has zero control over her emotions (and her powers most of the time). It's why I like her so much, she's relatable.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:50 AM
Fan Forum Star

Because she's a woman, lbr. Most of the Mary Sue comments I've seen come from men who have no issues with Luke or Anakin.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:34 AM
Fan Forum Legend

True. And they probably didn't have that issue with Leia because she wasn't the main character and they had her in a bikini to fanboy over for years
Old 01-03-2018, 02:20 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

Hopefully one of the ghost Jedi's will train her since there are no others alive except Kylo. I doubt she can learn everything from the Jedi books
Old 01-03-2018, 08:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Old 01-04-2018, 08:07 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh amazing gif