Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2016, 08:43 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Don't worry I think other posters here like it.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyMERMAiD (View Post)
Star Trek casting was pretty amazing too, who knew weird heroes villain dude would make for a good Spock.
I think the only good Spock is Nimoy. I think Quinto failed utterly in the role. I didn't like seeing Spock recast anymore than I'm going to like seeing Han recast for the Han prequel movie.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:08 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Old 01-01-2016, 10:11 AM
Fan Forum Star

Old 01-01-2016, 10:14 AM
Fan Forum Legend

That's me watching you two talk about something I have no knowledge of
Old 01-01-2016, 10:21 AM
Fan Forum Star

You have knowledge of Han being recast.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:25 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Ah yes, which I hate. But I can't comment on Star Trek.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:43 AM
Fan Forum Star

Add me pls!
Old 01-01-2016, 10:50 AM
Fan Forum Star

Added.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:46 PM
Elite Fan

It'll be super weird for Han to be recast. I don't know how they'll ever pull it off. New AU Star Trek didn't bother me, but I've never watched TOS.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:58 PM
Master Fan

I like the casting in both Trek and Wars. My problem with Trek is that real Trek has always been on TV - that's where you get the exploration of ideas, evolving relationships among the characters, all the stuff that's been at the heart of Trek from the beginning. So the new movie series feels unanchored, somewhat empty, though I enjoy the films for the action and special effects.

I felt Force Awakens did a much better job of capturing the essence of Star Wars. It helps to be operating in the same original medium, and overall I liked the film much better than any of the reboot Trek flicks.

Also, it had Rey. Which helps a lot. And brings my post on topic.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:19 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyMERMAiD (View Post)
That, to me is JJ's real talent. Even moreso than a storyteller he's great at casting the right people.

Star Trek casting was pretty amazing too, who knew weird heroes villain dude would make for a good Spock.
casting is definitely JJ's HUGE strength. HUGE. he knows how to gather a cast that has incredible chemsitry plus they fill their roles so well. Everyone in TFA is so spot on, so connected it's really a joy to watch all those character/actor interactions. Extra bonus points for casting Driver over some classic pretty boy a la Pettyfer, who was up for one of the roles, I assume Kylo Ren. I can't see him as either Finn or Poe because he's such a douche and those two roles require genuine sweetness that can't be faked. Anywya, Driver didn't play Kylo Ren as a douche so that's brilliant.

Daisy Ridley is amazing find, exactly the kind of a fresh-faced newcomer that makes movie magic (I know Boyega from Attack the Block so I'm not surprised that he was so great...I was stanning for his casting when he was up for it with some other actors)
Old 01-01-2016, 04:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlicious (View Post)
Extra bonus points for casting Driver over some classic pretty boy a la Pettyfer, who was up for one of the roles, I assume Kylo Ren.

Daisy Ridley is amazing find, exactly the kind of a fresh-faced newcomer that makes movie magic (I know Boyega from Attack the Block so I'm not surprised that he was so great...I was stanning for his casting when he was up for it with some other actors)
Agreed 100% I also knew John from other works so I was expecting him to be amazing.

Daisy is a great find for sure, we needed a fresh face, someone who we wouldn't associate with any other character. A famous actress would've ruined that.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:57 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbis diablo (View Post)
Agreed 100% I also knew John from other works so I was expecting him to be amazing.

Daisy is a great find for sure, we needed a fresh face, someone who we wouldn't associate with any other character. A famous actress would've ruined that.
Amen. As for Rey character, I think she's great but to be quite honest, I'm in love with the character because of her connection with Kylo. I'm just so impressed how she handles that type of a man and their relationship is super intriguing. They are anti-Twilight in that that there's Twilight trope (virginal heroine/pasty faced dark and dangerous predator of a man) but they turn the concept on its head. She holds her own. Gets upper hand. he respects her.Views her as his equal. Doesn't want to change her (Freudian slip about teaching her the Force instead of Dark Side).

I think that we don't see enough relationships like this where female character educates male character how he should treat her. It's either that she totally submits to whatever dark desire of his or SJWs try to enforce a ban on any so-called "problematic pairing". I think that Rey and Kylo are transcending the trope as well as simplistic "love of a good woman changes a bad man". It's clearly a gradual process where her will to stand up for herself and his will to accept her for who she is may lead to mutual understanding.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:57 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexEvans (View Post)
I like the casting in both Trek and Wars. My problem with Trek is that real Trek has always been on TV - that's where you get the exploration of ideas, evolving relationships among the characters, all the stuff that's been at the heart of Trek from the beginning. So the new movie series feels unanchored, somewhat empty, though I enjoy the films for the action and special effects.

I felt Force Awakens did a much better job of capturing the essence of Star Wars. It helps to be operating in the same original medium, and overall I liked the film much better than any of the reboot Trek flicks.

Also, it had Rey. Which helps a lot. And brings my post on topic.
I enjoyed the Newer Star Trek movies, but not the recast of Spock, a character utterly dependent one actor's performance in my opinion (Nimoy's). In general, I've been moving away from Trek in recent years and now the new movies are in general more to my taste than traditional Trek.

I have mixed feelings about TFA as Star Wars. It's certainly better Star Wars than the Prequels, but it still doesn't feel like quite the real thing to me.

Rey is good, definitely, but I had hopes she'd be better.
Quote:
Extra bonus points for casting Driver over some classic pretty boy a la Pettyfer