Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2016, 06:31 AM
Extreme Fan

Aren't samurais just warriors and nothing more? Despite jedi being warriors, exercising the force seemed to imply that it was a religious exercise of sorts, that's why I think they are more like the shaolin monks, whose fighting skills are expressed more as religious devotion.

From ANH
Quote:
General Tagge: What of the Rebellion? If the Rebels have obtained a complete technical reading of this station, it is possible, however unlikely, they might find a weakness and exploit it.

Darth Vader: The plans you refer to will soon be back in our hands.

Admiral Motti: Any attack made by the Rebels against this station would be a useless gesture, no matter what technical data they have obtained. This station is now the ultimate power in the universe! I suggest we use it!

Darth Vader: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Admiral Motti: Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the rebels' hidden fort-...

[Vader makes a pinching motion and Motti starts choking]

Darth Vader: I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Governor Tarkin: Enough of this! Vader, release him!

Darth Vader: As you wish.
If Lucas said specifically that the jedi are like space samurai, then they happen to be a religious sort and this is from the first movie, which can't be a retconn.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:45 AM
Addicted Fan

The samurai follow a code which is linked to the ideals of shinto and zen buddhism, samurais are very much linked to religion as well as being warriors.

Lucas even wanted Toshiro Mifune to play the part of Obi-Wan Kenobi, but was turned down.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:52 AM
Extreme Fan

Thanks for the info on samurais, not really familiar with them. However, I still don't see how it's a retconn. Is it because they aren't allowed to have romantic relationships? Are jedis supposed to be celibate? ANH wasn't specific about what the jedi were.

Last edited by rpmaluki; 01-11-2016 at 06:57 AM
Old 01-11-2016, 07:00 AM
Addicted Fan

Yeah I believe that to be the retcon. No one bats an eye or blames Anakin for marrying and having kids in the original trilogy. This is one of the small things that isn't explicitly stated but that I found to not quite line up.
I get why Lucas would do that, tho. It brings more drama and he needed to flesh out the Jedi Order.

On a lighter note, this is all moot since george has changed the Jedi Code because a 7 year old wanted to get married someday without becoming a sith
Old 01-11-2016, 07:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

Actually, in the earliest SW scripts, there was some indication that Jedi were supposed to be celibate. The main character gets given out to by his Jedi mentor for having casual sex. But circa 2002 Lucas said Jedi were allowed to have sex, just not relationships.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyMERMAiD (View Post)
Lucas himself got married and had a kid fairly recently. That may have changed his view.

Techincally I don't think it's up to Lucas anymore whether the Jedi can get marrid or not. The kid should have written to Disney.

Last edited by sum1; 01-11-2016 at 07:06 AM
Old 01-11-2016, 07:21 AM
Addicted Fan

Oh boy, if the creator himself can't make up his mind what am I even doing!

Old 01-11-2016, 02:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It's not very encouraging

New title ideas, anyone?
Old 01-11-2016, 02:46 PM
Elite Fan

Um...Titles...uh... I can't think of a single thing.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:52 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyMERMAiD (View Post)
Oh boy, if the creator himself can't make up his mind what am I even doing!

Haha, I agree

But at the same time, it's kind of a good thing, means the movies are still watchable and debatable and open to interpretation...

Same goes with Rey being Luke's daughter or Kenobi's granddaughter or just a Force born baby or whatever...
Until the movie isn't out, it's still opened to interpretation...
Thanks to Jade for the icon!!
Old 01-11-2016, 04:30 PM
Fan Forum Legend

How about...

Rey (Daisy Ridley) #3: "I can handle myself." "That's why I'm giving it to you!"
Old 01-11-2016, 04:34 PM
Addicted Fan

Yeah the speculation surely is exciting, I like to see how passionate some people are to their pet theories!
Old 01-11-2016, 08:14 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbis diablo (View Post)
How about...

Rey (Daisy Ridley) #3: "I can handle myself." "That's why I'm giving it to you!"
I like it.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Honestly, I find all the TFA speculation a bit futile and pointless. Really, like Jon Snow, we know nothing. People sort of feel they can make it the way we want by speculating it'll be that way, but really we can't do squat. I'm just preparing myself for the worst and waitng for 2017. It's not so far off.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:36 AM
Fan Forum Legend

http://www.fanforum.com/f99/rey-dais...-you-63164357/