Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2015, 10:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yes it might improve her storyline, but that doesn't mean that's what they've written. We're not choosing whether to make her Luke's daughter here. We're wondering if the writers have.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:17 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire (View Post)
Well I think they confirmed Rey was sent to Jakku way before that, maybe Rey's mom hid her from Luke because she didn't want her daughter involved, and look at Luke's family history even Padme didn't like the jedi maybe Luke's wife felt the same?
Has it? Again, I've heard the assumption that, like the actor's, the characters are 10 years apart in age. It's all assumptions and conjecture at this point, but that's the headcanon-stuff I've heard around the interwebs.

I saw it a 3rd time last night and still think all signs point towards her being Luke's daughter. When Maz asked Han who the girl was, it cut away before he answered. Then after Rey had her vision thingie, Maz was there saying the light saber called to her (Rey). I just don't know why a light saber would call to Rey if there wasn't some sort of familial blood involved...unless it's like Thor's Mjolnir and is semi-sentient.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:08 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Yes it might improve her storyline, but that doesn't mean that's what they've written. We're not choosing whether to make her Luke's daughter here. We're wondering if the writers have.
True I could be wrong but I think VIII will be Luke centric they made a big deal about why Luke needs to return I hope she's his daughter that is something Star Wars never had a father/daughter centric storyline.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:10 PM
Extreme Fan

Even without watching the movie I would have guessed Rey was Luke's daughter. Having watched it and the producers stressing how SW is simply a "Keeping up with the Skywalkers" saga, it's almost confirmed because a Skywalker must (always?) be the protagonist and like the OT, we get a two-for special, a pro and antagonist Skywalker.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:22 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Yes, some people find her a bit of a Mary Sue and I have to admit, I feel they may have a point. With no training, she uses the Jedi mind trick and also overpowers a trained force user in a lightsaber battle. It's kind of weird and not very convincing. What's she, some sort of a deity? I mean, in the Prequels, Jedi were training from early childhood to adulthood to be able to do that sort of thing. That includes Anakin. Luke needed less training than that, but still a lot more than Rey. It wasn't until Return of the Jedi that he was able to use the mind trick. She also seems to know the Falcon better than Han and generally seems to be good at everything without much effort. Blasters confuse her at first, but that doesn't last long. This divine all-around ability and competence strikes me as Star Wars going further from having realistic elements. Lucas already took us down that path with Anakin being a virgin birth (as well a prophecied saviour figure and the most powerful Jedi ever), but I am disappointed that Abrams has continued down that Prequel-esque route. Why don't they just invite the Avengers in and deploy the Hulk?
She beats a man who was twice wounded, once from being hit in the stomach by Chewie's bowcaster(which as demonstrated packs an even bigger punch than a regular blaster), and again when Finn sliced up his right shoulder. She knows the Falcon better than Han because as it was explained in the film Unkar Plutt messed with it, which she knew about. And Luke wasn't just able to do the Jedi mind trick until Return of the Jedi, it was just the first time he was ever shown doing it. Also Rey was able to do a Jedi mind trick without knowing about it but Luke was able to call a lightsaber to him in the Wampa cave despite Obi-Wan never teaching him that or ever mentioning that Jedi ability in the first movie!
Old 12-29-2015, 02:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

Some of her acting bugged me in parts, but I'm feeling good about her performance on a whole.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:35 PM
Elite Fan

The only thing that bugged me was she speaks like Keira Knightly. Something about how she pronounces words and the way she moves (or in this case, doesn't move) her mouth.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooltocry (View Post)
She beats a man who was twice wounded, once from being hit in the stomach by Chewie's bowcaster(which as demonstrated packs an even bigger punch than a regular blaster), and again when Finn sliced up his right shoulder.
A trained Force user is still a very formidable opponent even when wounded. I can't imagine Luke in the first film being able to take down somebody like that. In real life, with skills (such as fighting skills), there's a huge difference between trained and unttrained.

Quote:
And Luke wasn't just able to do the Jedi mind trick until Return of the Jedi, it was just the first time he was ever shown doing it.
It was presented as if it was new power he had gained seen we'd last seen him. It was there to show us he'd matured in power.

Quote:
Also Rey was able to do a Jedi mind trick without knowing about it but Luke was able to call a lightsaber to him in the Wampa cave despite Obi-Wan never teaching him that or ever mentioning that Jedi ability in the first movie!
Yes, but Luke HAD been trained in Force use in general to an extent already. Rey had not been. And controlling a living, resisting person's mind must surely be harder than calling a small inanimate object to you over a short distance.

Nice to see you back, Fastbak.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:05 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
A trained Force user is still a very formidable opponent even when wounded. I can't imagine Luke in the first film being able to take down somebody like that. In real life, with skills (such as fighting skills), there's a huge difference between trained and unttrained.
Kylo wasn't a trained Force user. He still needed training from Snoke. He had brute power but lacked finesse. When he blocked Rey's blasts with his lightsaber he did these fancy twirls that looked flashy, but a trained Jedi would have just blocked it without wasting energy. Also Rey had fighting skills with a staff.

Quote:
It was presented as if it was new power he had gained seen we'd last seen him. It was there to show us he'd matured in power.
He wasn't seen failing doing it and the way you said it made it seem it was something he hadn't mastered it until Jedi.

Quote:
Yes, but Luke HAD been trained in Force use in general to an extent already. Rey had not been. And controlling a living, resisting person's mind must surely be harder than calling a small inanimate object to you over a short distance.
That is very much open to debate and I would say controlling a weakminded person, especially a Stormtrooper would be easier.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:15 PM
Extreme Fan

Kylo had more training than Rey.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooltocry (View Post)
Kylo wasn't a trained Force user. He still needed training from Snoke. He had brute power but lacked finesse. When he blocked Rey's blasts with his lightsaber he did these fancy twirls that looked flashy, but a trained Jedi would have just blocked it without wasting energy. Also Rey had fighting skills with a staff.
Kylo needing further training doesn't mean he didn't already have training. He was no newbie like Rey. He had been trained by Luke. He was a trained Force user.

In the Prequels, trained Jedi did plenty of fancy twirls, rather than using straightforward methods. Twirls, of course, show finesse rather than brute powr.

Fighting skills with a staff are not the same as fighting skills with a lightsaber. There's a world of difference.
Quote:
He wasn't seen failing doing it and the way you said it made it seem it was something he hadn't mastered it until Jedi.
Yes, it was clearly something he hadn't mastered until ROTJ (or shortly before), as I explained in my last post. It was presented in ROTJ to show he'd developed new power since ESB.
Quote:
That is very much open to debate and I would say controlling a weakminded person, especially a Stormtrooper would be easier.
What is not open to debate is the fact that Luke had Force training by that time and Rey had not.

Last edited by sum1; 12-29-2015 at 03:26 PM
Old 12-29-2015, 03:36 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
The Force is what kept him standing but he was still injured. In AOTC during the fight with Dooku Obi-Wan got struck in the arm and leg and he was incapacitated.

Quote:
In the Prequels, trained Jedi did plenty of fancy twirls, rather than using straightforward methods. Twirls, of course, show finesse rather than brute powr.
Not in basic blocking.

Quote:
Fighting skills with a staff are not the same as fighting skills with a lightsaber. There's a world of difference.
And it was shown during the first part of the fight where Kylo forced Rey back and was close to beating her. It wasn't until he said "I'll teach you the ways of the Force" that something clicked in her. Maybe she was remembering something or maybe not but that's when she let the Force flow through her and beat him.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:42 PM
Elite Fan

We need a new thread!

http://www.fanforum.com/f99/rey-dais.../#post84507440
Old 12-29-2015, 03:43 PM
Passionate Fan

yeah was beating her yeah. she had a mental "awakening" with his words and managed to turn it around
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top