Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Master Fan

I completely agree Jerry. Why bother making her a strong, political leader only to have her die so offensively?

Captain Ewevs: "You!? But we killed you!"
Boba Fett: "Yes, you killed me. And that made me very, very angry."
Old 12-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldreaming (View Post)
So Breaking Dawn was violent and horrible because Stephenie Meyer is Mormon? That doesn't make sense... Christianity in general isn't traditionally very kind to women, but there are plenty of rational, modern-minded Mormons in the world. Can't blame a whole church for one woman's... erm ,what's the female equivalent of a wet dream? Because that's all Twilight is, really, isn't it?

Misogyny though, I will give you... that's definitely a messed-up relationship too. More so than A/P by far.
Where did I say it was violent and misogynistic because she was Mormon? I mean, *pokes sum1 by mentioning anime* Hideaki Anno's Jesus is a homosexual whose sacrifice (to save his budding love interest) is ultimately in vain because humanity is STILL destroyed. Jesus is as much an archetype as a person or deity.

In this case, though, Jacob's supposed to marry Nessie and bring peace between Indian werewolves and white vampires.

On the other hand, I've always wondered what it's like for Mormon missionaries, seeing as, unlike precolumbian America, there are Jews in Africa. They might go mad from the revelation, to borrow a Lovecraftism.

And sum1's inability to understand what I meant is classic sum1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I always thought that having Padmé literally die of a broken heart just after she gave birth to her twins was the most ludicrous and ridiculous storyline that Lucas ever perpetrated on us. Padmé was supposed to be a strong character and a leader of what would become the Rebel Alliance, so the thought of her willing herself to die goes against everything she was supposed to be.
ITA, the whole idea was misogynistic as well. "Oh, my <strike>boyfriend</strike> husband (George won't let little Luke and Leia be bastards, even though he has no problem with Han being a smuggler.) is evil now, and even though there's a rebellion brewing and I have just given birth to the last, best hope for restoring the Republic, I'm so sad...*dies*"
Old 12-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I always thought that having Padmé literally die of a broken heart just after she gave birth to her twins was the most ludicrous and ridiculous storyline that Lucas ever perpetrated on us. Padmé was supposed to be a strong character and a leader of what would become the Rebel Alliance, so the thought of her willing herself to die goes against everything she was supposed to be.
ITA, Jerry. It was completely out of character.

You should check out http://www.fanforum.com/f99/marcia-l...read-62979327/. It appears that George wrote her death that way out of bitterness over his divorce.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Indeed. I don't think you'll find many here that'll disagree with that assessesment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basenji (View Post)
And sum1's inability to understand what I meant is classic sum1.
It's possible I misunderstood you on this occasion, but usually I understand you all too well, perhaps better than you want to be understood. Don't hide behind the defense of "You misunderstand me". We've understood your various offesive statements quite well enough here.

Last edited by sum1; 12-11-2010 at 03:54 PM
Old 01-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

So we all hate Padme's death. That's a start.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't blame the fictional character. I am angry with GL for writing it that way.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

Well iit's not like I'm having a personal grudge match with the character, but I'm pissed off with how she was written and acted in AOTC, ROTS and TCW.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
So we all hate Padme's death. That's a start.
Well, it is pretty ludicrous. I mean, you could say she was suffocating, but that wouldn't make much sense: Luke and Leia are perfectly healthy. Amazing for premies. (Gotta love Hollywood healing.) So George used the "died of a broken heart" cliché. Except that she gave up hope after giving birth. Now, I don't know about you, but if I were a parent, that would be a huge responsibility. So essentially Padmé's entire world is not freedom, not her children, but...her husband. Yeah, not sexist at all, George.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, Padme's all about Anakin and dies because she can't bear him going evil and her last words are about him.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

What I don't get is that her last words were about still believing there is good in him, so why loose the will? Isn't that belief something to hold on to?

Or was it just bring in Luke's line from RotJ?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

Probably the latter. George is obsessed with echoing previous films and not so obsessed with things making sense.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

I can't think of any other reason. Her death is something that still baffles me 5.5 years later.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Banned

This is Star Wars, so I'd say it's the obsession with recapitulation of old lines.

It shows a lot of maturity out of Star Wars fans that nobody called him on the inherent incestuous implications, no doubt inferred by idiots. I instead think it's just Lucas being Lucas.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Which incestuous impilcations are you going on about now?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:44 AM
Part-Time Fan

Incestuous implications? I don't think there were any.... are we still talking about Padme? I don't even think she had any family that was shown in the movies did she? Anakin? Maybe he was looking for a mother figure but I see no evidence that he actually wanted an inappropriate relationship with his actual mother. Luke and Leia? The only sexual tension between them was WAY before they even knew (and way before Lucas knew, I bet). There's no incest in Star Wars, that would be why the fans don't find any.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread