Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 07:34 AM
Master Fan

Part of my disgust with the head scene might have come from the fact that I saw TPM before I saw the OT. So I'm sitting there, ten-years-old, and I already knew that Vader was human, and it was just... "WTF happened!?"

Quote:
I love the scene when he reveals himself to Luke. It fills my heart with so much emotion that he wanted to see Luke with his own eyes before he died. To really look at his son and tell him face to face that he was right.
Exactly! It was a touching scene.

Captain Ewevs: "You!? But we killed you!"
Boba Fett: "Yes, you killed me. And that made me very, very angry."
Old 12-16-2010, 08:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomsBullets (View Post)
Part of my disgust with the head scene might have come from the fact that I saw TPM before I saw the OT. So I'm sitting there, ten-years-old, and I already knew that Vader was human, and it was just... "WTF happened!?"
Well, we all sorta knew Vader was a cyborg as of Empire. The details are in the novelizations. Of course, those details also say Owen is Obi-Wan's brother, and Obi-Wan couldn't bear to keep the truth from Luke, just before telling the following lie:

"Your father was betrayed and murdered by a young Jedi named Darth Vader, a pupil of mine before he turned to evil."

The real question is, why revise the old movies to make room for the new movies? That's not how continuity works. Usually. I mean, I wouldn't have even noticed the eyebrows if George didn't go on and on about how he changed it. I did notice Hayden Christensen's image being pirated to replace the inimitable Sebastian Shaw's, though.

"Comic book fans will be familiar with the term 'retcon', which in layman's terms means that the writer waves his hand and tells you 'Remember when we said this? We screwed up, forget about that.'"

Note that not all retcons are bad. Most are just ass pulls, though. But a good retcon won't be noticeable as a retcon.

Note that if a retcon doesn't actually contradict canon, but instead fan theories, the theory is said to be jossed.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by basenji (View Post)
Well, we all sorta knew Vader was a cyborg as of Empire.
It came into an issue of Star Wars Official Poster Monthly crica 1978.
Quote:
The real question is, why revise the old movies to make room for the new movies? That's not how continuity works.
Precisely. But the prequels are totally out of continuity with the OT. OT Anakin was never a wanker, a wimp and a jerk like PT Anakin was. Leia's mother survived until Leia was a toddler or so or something like that. Etc.

Quote:
Usually. I mean, I wouldn't have even noticed the eyebrows if George didn't go on and on about how he changed it.
They're pretty noticeable. Shaw was known for his eyebrows.

Quote:
"Comic book fans will be familiar with the term 'retcon', which in layman's terms means that the writer waves his hand and tells you 'Remember when we said this? We screwed up, forget about that.'"

Note that not all retcons are bad. Most are just ass pulls, though. But a good retcon won't be noticeable as a retcon.

Note that if a retcon doesn't actually contradict canon, but instead fan theories, the theory is said to be jossed.
Retcons are annoying. And a lot more than comic book fans are familiar with the term. The most classic retcons are those in which an explanation is given to explain away and smooth over the continuity glitch being created, as opposed to those which just ignore and go against previously established stuff.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)

They're pretty noticeable. Shaw was known for his eyebrows.
Like George Whipple?

Quote:
Plus, the idea of Vader being free of, well, Vader, was an awesome way to end the story.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:52 AM
Part-Time Fan

I think the eyebrows were such a silly thing to mess with... I really doubt that many people came out of the theater after seeing ROTS thinking "But he had eyebrows in ROTJ!" Many more, I'm sure, were thinking "Hey, didn't Leia say she remembered her mother?"

I really think it boils down to the fact that, for whatever reason, GL doesn't like the original trilogy. It seems like he changed some things just for the sake of CHANGE,. not because the change actually meant anything.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I think the eyebrows were such a silly thing to mess with... I really doubt that many people came out of the theater after seeing ROTS thinking "But he had eyebrows in ROTJ!" Many more, I'm sure, were thinking "Hey, didn't Leia say she remembered her mother?"

I really think it boils down to the fact that, for whatever reason, GL doesn't like the original trilogy. It seems like he changed some things just for the sake of CHANGE,. not because the change actually meant anything.
You hit the nail on the head.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I really think it boils down to the fact that, for whatever reason, GL doesn't like the original trilogy.
I remember him saying that he felt they were unfinished.
But I think it's like being your own worse critic. The OT were complete films that didn't need tweaking or additions, etc and he's the only one who didn't see that.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

Lucas has said he's unhappy with the OT films. He's also said he's completely satisfied with the prequel films.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Banned

In comics, though, retcons are inevitable. Magneto's soon going to be too young to be a Holocaust survivor. They'll probably retcon him as surviving some trouble in the Balkans. The 90s cartoons just listed a generic European war as part of the "no swastikas" taboo.

As for George, he's satisfied with the prequels because he has total control. Granted, this doesn't mean he can't make mistakes, much like Fox giving George full merchandising rights to Star Wars. Whoever did that should've been fired.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
But I think it's like being your own worse critic. The OT were complete films that didn't need tweaking or additions, etc and he's the only one who didn't see that.

Quote:
As for George, he's satisfied with the prequels because he has total control. Granted, this doesn't mean he can't make mistakes, much like Fox giving George full merchandising rights to Star Wars. Whoever did that should've been fired.
The OT would be on blu-ray.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
much like Fox giving George full merchandising rights to Star Wars. Whoever did that should've been fired.
Well, I think it was a team of people not one person. They also felt it was going to be a failure so didn't care about the rights.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'd be happy to tell George where he can put his combined blu-ray set of PT and SE.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Well, I think it was a team of people not one person. They also felt it was going to be a failure so didn't care about the rights.
Still a shame though. I wonder how different things would have been?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomsBullets (View Post)
The OT would be on blu-ray.
I was more referring to what an absolutely HORRENDOUS business decision it was for Fox to give up the merchandising rights. Then again, these are the same people who canceled Family Guy. Twice.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top