Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Luke Skywalker/Mark Hamill Appreciation #4: The wisest Jedi of his day

"I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

★ we love Luke because
1. He brought his father back to the light.
2. The Force is strong with him.
3. He's Mara Jade's husband.
4. He begins the new Jedi Order and is the Grand Master.
5. He knows there was still good in his father.
6. He went to save his friends on Cloud City.
7. He helped save Han from Jabba's Palace.
8. He came back to complete his training with Yoda, just like he promised.
9. He blew up the Death Star.
10. He rescued Princess Leia from prison.
11. He's a great pilot
12. He named his son after Ben.
13. He was Yoda's last student
14. He is a Jedi, like his father before him.
15. His quest became our quest when we saw him in ANH way back in 1977.
16. He's selfless, earnest, and has a sense of innocence about him.

{x}

★ fan list
Cryostar (Jerry)
Strider (Alex)
BehrItAll (Stephanie)
Pottyaboutharry (Sheida)
varjak-golightly
Calgaryfan2006 (Chrissy)
sum1
Seras
snow express (Tar)
Subject87
JMRamos

{x}

past threads
Luke Skywalker Appreciation Thread: because he's our Jedi Knight shining armor
http://www.fanforum.com/f99/luke-sky...ight-62787033/
Luke Skywalker/Mark Hamill Appreciation #3: Farm Boy to Savior in 3 easy steps.

Last edited by sum1; 12-29-2012 at 12:39 AM
Old 02-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seras (View Post)
(Ok, I'll have to be careful when I write this post or it will go on forever )

I absolutely admire Luke. I mean, if for any weird reason I'd be making a top five of fictional characters in the total of everything I've ever read and watched in my life, Luke would definitely be there. I can't even express how much he fascinates me, seriously.
Well, apart from repeating obvious things about him...I like how quickly he manages to accept the truth about Anakin...sorry, Vader being his father. That "NOOOO!" line has become something like a bad joke, but that was his first immediate reaction to getting this dreamlike image of his father that he was building up in his mind during his entire life shattered to pieces. But very shortly after this first shock passes, when he's at Millenium Falcon (don't know how much time exactly did it take Leia and Lando to find him, but it looks like it was not really long) and Vader "calls" him, Luke responds "father" and refers to him as father since that moment. I mean, he could have taken the attitude "you are no father to me" and it would be somewhat understandable, but he manages to accept his father the way he is. I find it really impressive.
Also I liked the moment in ROTJ when Luke and Vader talk on the bridge (or whatever bridge-like thing it was) and Luke turns his back to him after saying "I know there is good in you, the Emperor hasn't driven it from you fully". This gesture shows a non-verbal way of expressing trust I think. I mean, in this case when you turn your back to someone it means that you believe that this person will not "attack" you or do something bad to you, otherwise it's psychologically hard to turn your back to them. Ok I'll cut down on that because I can't really express what I'm trying to say
(eventually stating the obvious, I guess...)Furthermore, something that I respect profoundly about Luke is his ability to listen to what others say without abandoning his own principles. Don’t know how to say it, but there’s a kind of a firm “framework” about his whole character, if he believes something to be wrong he just won’t do it, like when he was told from basically both sides (I mean Yoda, Obi-Wan and Palpatine) to kill his father, but he refused. So, trying once again to formulate it, he has enough courage and self-confidence to do what his heart tells him even if no-one else supports the same view, and well, as the story shows, what he thinks is right. His character is strong but not oppressive. And Luke is the one who has the balance of mind and emotion in him – I mean, an absolute surrender to your emotions is no good, but the Jedi idea of completely rejecting all attachments doesn’t seem much more reasonable to me, and Luke doesn’t fall to any of the two extremes. So for me he is the character who shows real wisdom. (Hope that won't offend Yoda's fans, I'm not intending to say that Yoda's not wise, but something about him is kinda frustrating for me, so if I'd have to choose one character on this aspect I'd go for Luke)
Also, well maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that there's something reassuring about him. I was worried for him of course, but still every time he appears on the screen I get this kinda sub-conscious feeling that everything will be all right, he'll sort things out, there's no way he's gonna fail, something like this.
And well, as states the quote on that wallpaper I posted in Skywalkers thread, "faith does not spring for the miracle but the miracle from the faith" - thanks to his faith and courage, Luke was able to induce the miracle.

And I love his smile No, seriously, there's something about his appearance that reflects his inner light. I think the actor is just perfect for the part. I've heard that there were some movies where Mark Hamill played bad guys, but I don't think I'll be able to watch those

I don't have a lot of Luke fanarts so I hope photos will do.
Click on the previews to get the actual size.

I loved your post about Luke I agreed with a lot of it.
Quote:
Vader "calls" him, Luke responds "father" and refers to him as father since that moment. I mean, he could have taken the attitude "you are no father to me" and it would be somewhat understandable, but he manages to accept his father the way he is. I find it really impressive.
I find that interesting. I always thought it was an instinctual reaction to call him "father." Like when my parents call me and I just automatically respond without thinking. But I suppose maybe some it if is also his quick acceptance. Like he knew from the Force connection that it was true.

Quote:
This gesture shows a non-verbal way of expressing trust I think. I mean, in this case when you turn your back to someone it means that you believe that this person will not "attack" you or do something bad to you, otherwise it's psychologically hard to turn your back to them. Ok I'll cut down on that because I can't really express what I'm trying to say
I understood
Luke is his prisoner and has no weapon. That's the last person you turn your back on. He expressed his complete trust with that body language. Even remaining pretty steady when Vader ignited the lightsaber.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

Seras needs to talk to stilldreaming.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

And Sheida.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Master Fan

Great post Seras.

Quote:
Vader "calls" him, Luke responds "father" and refers to him as father since that moment. I mean, he could have taken the attitude "you are no father to me" and it would be somewhat understandable, but he manages to accept his father the way he is. I find it really impressive.
Quote:
I find that interesting. I always thought it was an instinctual reaction to call him "father." Like when my parents call me and I just automatically respond without thinking. But I suppose maybe some it if is also his quick acceptance. Like he knew from the Force connection that it was true.
I always thought it was a stubborn thing. Like, "you're Darth Vader but you're also my father, and I know that there's still good in you." If that makes sense. By calling him father he was declaring his humanity.

Quote:
No, seriously, there's something about his appearance that reflects his inner light. I think the actor is just perfect for the part.
There does seem to be an inherent goodness and almost innocence to Luke. You completely believe him as a pure hearted hero.

I sometimes wonder if Mark plays villains because he's already played the ultimate good guy, so where else should he go?

Captain Ewevs: "You!? But we killed you!"
Boba Fett: "Yes, you killed me. And that made me very, very angry."
Old 02-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomsBullets (View Post)
There does seem to be an inherent goodness and almost innocence to Luke. You completely believe him as a pure hearted hero.
I think some of that's Mark Hamill. Too nice for his own good. He was even bothered about hurting the wampa.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Master Fan

He's just a good guy.

He does a great Joker, and he was really funny in Jay and Silent Bob.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, he was funny in that cameo.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Master Fan

I didn't know he was in it before watching, so when I got to his part I was really excited.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
If that makes sense. By calling him father he was declaring his humanity.
Oh yea.

Quote:
I sometimes wonder if Mark plays villains because he's already played the ultimate good guy, so where else should he go?
That is true. No other hero will top Luke.

Quote:
I think some of that's Mark Hamill. Too nice for his own good.
He is so nice and really sweet.

RE: Jay and Silent Bob - Mark was cool, but I couldn't stand that movie.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:31 AM
Part-Time Fan

(sorry, I'll answer a bit later)
Found a good art ^__^ Luke constructing his lightsaber.

(The Bacta War)
Old 02-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehrItAll (View Post)

That is true. No other hero will top Luke.
Mara Jade might.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

That reminds me of a scene from BSG: The Plan.
Starbuck and Sam are having sex and Cavil and another Cylon (forgot his name) can hear them in the next room
Cavil says to the other Cylon that he finds it distasteful b/c Sam is one of the five and she's just a human. So Cavil says, "She's beneath him." And the other Cylon looks with a smile on his face towards the next room and goes, "Not necessarily."
Old 02-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

I think I remember that.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

It was pretty funny.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top