Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2020, 12:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

The Literature [Books|Comics] Universe of Star Wars #3

Previous Books OP and threads:
Hello and Welcome to the Star Wars Book Club Discussion Thread

Anyone can be a part of the book club discussion, just come in, introduce yourself and read the books we are reading. Then just simply participate, give us your reviews, opinions etc. We'd like to discuss the books with you.

We will be bringing you reviews of other books as well.

Note: Some titles are missing from the list below. For a compete list of novels check: Timeline of Legends books- Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki

Star Wars Book Listing- Chronologically within the SW Legends
Spoiler:

Previous Threads:

Previous Comics OP and threads:

New Disney Canon:

(List coming soon)

BehrItAll's Reviews:

Star Wars: The Princess and the Scoundrel by Beth Revis
Queen's Hope by E.K. Johnston

Last edited by BehrItAll; 09-25-2022 at 07:08 PM
Old 06-09-2020, 01:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

^ I need to update that OP but for now let's continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden tattoo (View Post)
Rael seems to be a complete opposite to Anakin which is quite interesting
Actually I felt the opposite. I think they were so similar in that they both ignored the Code. Rael didn't fall in love with the women he slept with, but he was not celibate like most Jedi.

I think Anakin would like him for being a rebel.

Also, they were both brought to the Temple later. Rael was 5.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:39 PM
Moderator Support Team

yeah that was interesting

he’s rogue in this book though right? I can’t remember
Old 06-10-2020, 07:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoodsmariano (View Post)

he’s rogue in this book though right? I can’t remember
A little bit.

He was assigned by the Jedi Council to be the royal regent for the young princess of Pijal after his Padawan died. So he has been there for 8 years.

And while living there he has not given in to the rich lifestyle of royalty (which is why the Council gave him the assignment, they knew he wouldn't fall to those temptations) because he still dresses shabby, etc. But Qui-Gon catches him in bed with the local innkeeper and in one scene he smokes a death stick.

So he is a very unconventional, roguish Jedi.

I have my review for Queen's Peril by E.K. Johnston

When fourteen-year-old Padmé Naberrie wins the election for Queen of Naboo, she adopts the name Amidala and leaves her family to the rule from the royal palace. To keep her safe and secure, she’ll need a group of skilled handmaidens who can be her assistants, confidantes, defenders, and decoys. Each girl is selected for her particular talents, but it will be up to Padmé to unite them as a group. When Naboo is invaded by forces of the Trade Federation, Queen Amidala and her handmaidens will face the greatest test—of themselves, and of each other.

Queen's Peril just came out this month and it's a prequel to Queen's Shadow.

Just like Queen's Shadow, I really enjoyed this book. I only have the hardcover and so I didn't listen along with the audiobook this time. It is such a fast read, mostly because it is for YA readers, but I like YA. Also, like I said with my last review: there aren't any big battle scenes and no lightsaber fights, but if you love Padmé, then this is a book to read.

The Loves:
- Getting to see Padmé develop her Queen of Naboo persona and maintain anonymity. I guess I never realized that while Amidala was famous, her family and their origins were not known to the people of Naboo. Same for the handmaidens.

-Seeing the handmaidens come together. How they were recruited, their unique skills, their work ethic, but also just being normal teenage girls. Besides seeing them work together to come up with a decoy system to fool even the guards, I liked seeing their squabbles, sorting their complicated feelings, and talk about their menstrual cycles.

I am going to go on a bit of a tangent here: suppressants - sounds like birth control for a galaxy far, far away. Didn't work for Padmé when she gets pregnant with twins...
I mean, I would assume she would still be on them since she was secretly married to a Jedi. Must have just been the will of the Force.

- Ok, back on track. This might be a tiny spoiler but I won't give details. I loved that the prologue was
Spoiler:
, and how the epilogue is
Spoiler:
Heartbreaking!

- I loved the little bits of The Phantom Menace and showing some of those characters' POV so that we got a sense of where in the timeline we were: Shmi (which OMG I loved all her scenes <3 ), Palpatine, Maul, and Jar Jar. I also liked that it was not a rehashing of TPM and so we got to see more of the handmaidens' POV during those events.
Especially since it was mention in Queen's Shadow that
Spoiler:

- Loved the descriptions of Naboo culture that focused on the arts and music and how that was being used to open relations with the rest of the Chommell sector.

Dislikes:
-I do wish the animosity between Saché an Yané was elaborated. It was too vague. From what I remember from Queen's Shadow
Spoiler:

4.5 out of 5 Handmaidens.*

Favorite quotes:

Page 69: "I want to be ready for anything, of course, but I don't want to be so afraid of my own shadow that I give up the parts of me that want to stay idealistic and hopeful. That's why I wanted to be queen, really. To show that Naboo can be strong in its own traditions and a part of the galactic community."

Page 99: (Chancellor Valorum about the tax bill reappearing in variations in the Senate) It was not unlike being haunted, except instead of a ghost that might be exorcised, it was bureaucrats that just would not stop talking about it.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

Saw this on Tumblr and I am sad but also want to to read this comic now.

fromcold

Quote:
I've been merrily reading a bunch of Star Wars Legends comics and it was all fun and games until I got to Darth Vader and the Lost Command, in which Darth Vader regularly fantasises about an alternative future in which:

- he saved Mace Windu from Palpatine

- he becomes the youngest ever Jedi to be leader of the council

- he and Padmé have a son who they call Jinn (!)

- Anakin wants his son to make up his own mind about being a Jedi or not when he's old enough

- but Padmé becomes supreme chancellor and brings actual peace to the galaxy, so the Jedi aren't even needed anymore

- Anakin and his son hunt down Sith together!

Darth Vader also has a weird encounter with Dead Padmé as a ghost/vision thing and it's... a lot

Quote:
I'm not okay about any of this. I know I said just the other day that I wanted to know what Darth Vader thought about Padmé but I TAKE THAT BACK. I WAS HAPPIER NOT KNOWING THIS.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

‘From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back’ anthology book announced

Quote:
From StarWars.com:

"Forty years of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, 40 authors retelling its stories? Sounds good to us.

The anthology series From a Certain Point of View is set to return with From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back, celebrating 40 years of Episode V and arriving November 10. Like its predecessor, From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back will feature 40 stories by 40 authors reimagining the classic sequel through the eyes of background characters — heroes, villains, droids and creatures. Check out the cover below!

All participating authors have generously forgone any compensation for their stories. Instead, their proceeds will be donated to First Book — a leading nonprofit that provides new books, learning materials, and other essentials to educators and organizations serving children in need. To further celebrate the launch of this book and both companies’ longstanding relationships with First Book, Penguin Random House will donate $100,000 to First Book, and Disney/Lucasfilm will donate 100,000 children’s books — valued at $1,000,000 — to support First Book and their mission of providing equal access to quality education.

Always in motion is the future…but follow the hashtag #FromaCertainPOVStrikesBack to get an early sneak peek at some of the authors participating, and come back to StarWars.com on Monday, June 16, for a reveal of the entire author roster."
Isn't Monday the 15th? They messed that up

But anyway, I am so excited for this!
Old 06-12-2020, 09:35 PM
Graphics Team

Thanks for your review Steph, the suppressants had me
Old 06-12-2020, 11:32 PM
Moderator Support Team

would love to read that
Old 06-13-2020, 05:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden tattoo (View Post)
Thanks for your review Steph, the suppressants had me
IKR!

Quote:
would love to read that
Queen's Peril?

It's a fast and fun read.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:00 PM
Moderator Support Team

the ESB book
Old 06-13-2020, 06:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

It is so exciting. I am glad they decided to publish it.

When the news comes out about the authors I will post it.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:22 PM
Graphics Team

^ Thanks Steph, should be a good read
Old 06-16-2020, 06:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

EMPIRE AT 40 | FROM A CERTAIN POINT OF VIEW: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK AUTHORS REVEALED

Quote:
MEET MANY OF THE CONTRIBUTORS TO THE UPCOMING ANTHOLOGY!

On May 21, 1980, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back made its theatrical debut. To celebrate the classic film’s landmark 40th anniversary, StarWars.com presents “Empire at 40,” a special series of interviews, editorial features, and listicles.

Last week, StarWars.com announced From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back, a new anthology celebrating 40 years of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back will feature 40 stories by 40 authors reimagining the classic sequel through the eyes of background characters — heroes, villains, droids and creatures.

Today, StarWars.com is thrilled to reveal the confirmed (so far) author lineup, which features some familiar names along with a few surprises. Check out the all-star roster below, along with first descriptions of some of the tales inside:

Quote:
Austin Walker explores the unlikely partnership of bounty hunters Dengar and IG-88 as they pursue Han Solo.

Hank Green chronicles the life of a naturalist caring for tauntauns on the frozen world of Hoth.

Tracy Deonn delves into the dark heart of the Dagobah cave where Luke confronts a terrifying vision.

Martha Wells reveals the world of the Ugnaught clans who dwell in the depths of Cloud City.

Mark Oshiro recounts the wampa’s tragic tale of loss and survival.

Seth Dickinson interrogates the cost of serving a ruthless empire aboard the bridge of a doomed Imperial starship.

Plus more hilarious, heartbreaking, and astonishing tales from:

Tom Angleberger, S.A. Chakraborty, Mike Chen, Adam Christopher, Zoraida Córdova, Delilah S. Dawson, Alexander Freed, Jason Fry, Christie Golden, Rob Hart, E. K. Johnston, Lydia Kang, Michael Kogge, R.F. Kuang, C.B. Lee, Mackenzi Lee, John Jackson Miller, Michael Moreci, Daniel José Older, Amy Ratcliffe, Beth Revis, Lilliam Rivera, Cavan Scott, Emily Skrutskie, Karen Strong, Anne Toole, Catherynne M. Valente, Django Wexler, Kiersten White, Gary Whitta, Brittany N. Williams, Charles Yu, Jim Zub.

Stay tuned to StarWars.com for more on From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back!

From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back arrives November 10 and is available for pre-order now.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:51 PM
Moderator Support Team

thanks for sharing!
Old 06-17-2020, 10:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

I was surprised to see Hank Green's name.

He's John Green's brother, I think.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top