Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2017, 10:33 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by we are not alone (View Post)
No one like Anakin is my theory
Haha I don't mind either theory is good with me because Kenobi is like my fav Star Wars character ever and I can't imagine him not having a romance somwhere along the line seeing how amazing he was with Padme in the 3 first movies ^^

But I also like the no one theory because it means Anakin wasn't "The only one" having so much power and I don't see why he has to be and I don't see why someone with so much power has to necessarily be bad. It's a good think to balance it with someone who actually is good. (I mean eventhough I think Rey will hesitate with the dark side, but I think she's ultimately a good person and a better person than Anakin was )
Thanks to Jade for the icon!!
Old 10-17-2017, 03:15 PM
Elite Fan

In theory I have no problem with Rey being related to no one. However, I find that unlikely because I don't think they would have kept her family a secret. There'd be no reason to make it all mysterious.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:02 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I'm still sticking strongly with my Mitochondrien theory well if they want to do this "Gray Jedi" than could be why the mystery
Old 10-18-2017, 04:03 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I'm sticking to my Kenobi theory!
Old 10-18-2017, 08:53 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaSparrow (View Post)
I agree with you about the last part, I also doubt anything truly romantic will happen between Rey and Kylo in this 2nd movie, except maybe at the end? You know a kiss à la "Elizabeth/Jack Sparrow" wouldn't be out of the blue I guess ^^ But it would also mean Rey betraying Kylo somehow so...

Although I doubt anything romantic will truly happen between them in the next movie I do entirely agree with your post

Maybe it's just me, but honestly the new trailer didn't give me the "Parent/Daughter" vibe between Luke and Rey. I mean their relationship didn't even seem THAT important compared to Reylo I think that if they were really Father/Daughter the trailer would have emphazised a bit more how similar they are and putting the whole drama on them instead of focusing it on Reylo

Not to mention that Luke seems scared of Rey's power saying he only saw it once (and personally, I don't think he meant Kylo there... I think he meant Anakin/Darth Vador showing that Rey might indeed be the next "Darth Vador" coming out of nowhere and becoming the next most powerful Jedi in town, but that may be just me... ^^).

So yeah, I'm starting to have real doubts Luke/Rey are family and if they are then I guess this trailer really fails to show it
I never believed they would get overtly romantic in TLJ - just that TLJ will shift their relationship and set up 9.

I 100% believe Luke meant Kylo in that scene. The reason I think that is because Rian Johnson has been talking a lot about Kylo and Rey in his recent interviews, saying "Rey and Kylo are two halves of something", and "Rey and Kylo are almost two halves of our protagonist". This ties further into the idea of yin/yang. A long while back there was a picture with TLJ script that had a yin/yang symbol on it. The working title of Episode 8 was called "Space Bear" and people have caught on that the Panda in Chinese culture lore is thought to be a physical manifestation of the yin/yang. (What's also neat, but might not mean anything - the "red string of fate" which represents two people destined to come together, often soulmates, also comes from Chinese lore, and RJ posted several pics of red thread on his twitter!)

This lends credence to the line being about Kylo, because Rey reminding Luke of Kylo furthers the idea of Rey and Kylo as mirrors and "two halves of something". This also sets up a believable scenario in which Rey could turn to Kylo, aka, the only other person in the galaxy that can understand her power and her struggle.

The trailer furthers this in another way, too - Snoke's line is set up so he could be talking about Kylo or Rey. You have him talking about "raw power" and Luke talking about "raw strength" in regard to what he sees in Rey, and what he saw in Kylo.

Mark Hamill has also stated that Luke basically put everything to Ben Solo, as he believed he was a new Chosen One of sorts.

I see both Rey and Kylo as the evolving Force.

As for Rey's parents, I lean towards First Order officers or along those lines.

I would love for her to be Obi-wan's granddaughter (and she could certainly still have First Order parents, as I'm assuming Ob-Wan wouldn't have known about a child), and I suppose she could be (this would also line up with Kylo - good grandfather, bad parents = Rey, bad grandfather, good parents = Kylo) but to be honest, I'm not sold on that happening. Rian Johnson said Rey's parentage is interesting, rather than impactful, and I feel like Obi-wan as a grandfather would qualify as impactful on not just Rey, but other characters - though I guess he could get around that with Obi-wan being the grandparent.

As far as Rey's parents being a mystery, I think the mystery is more "why did they abandon her/what happened to them?" and less about who they are. I think it's entirely possible fans have run with the "who" when it was more about the "why" - lets face it - people were expecting her to be a Skywalker or Solo LONG before the movie ever came out. And people have been condition to think "parentage reveal!" based on ESB all alone.

~Kat

Last edited by TheCheshireKitten; 10-18-2017 at 09:02 AM
Old 10-19-2017, 06:12 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheshireKitten (View Post)
"Rey and Kylo are almost two halves of our protagonist".
I love this quote, we need to use it for our next title
Old 10-19-2017, 07:05 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by a new hope (View Post)
I'm sticking to my Kenobi theory!
That's my #2 theory
Old 10-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Master Fan

I like the Kenobi theory most too, but then I don't think I'd be disappointed if she's no one, it could make sense I think...

TheCheshireKitten it's possible Luke is comparing Rey to Kylo there (which would be the most obvious IMO). But I like that he'd be comparing her to Anakin/Darth Vador, his own dad, which was the most powerful man he met and who scared him because it would show that eventhough Kylo WANTS to be Darth Vador, maybe he can't be, maybe only Rey can be (because in fact she's "no one") which would give Kylo one more reason to want to teach her and also would let us see some more feelings coming from him towards her (such as jealousy which can be a very powerful feeling IMO, jealousy of not being her, jealousy of not controling her, jealousy of seeing her with other men... Which would lead him to fight those feelings and hopefully become someone better in the 3rd movie for example...)
Thanks to Jade for the icon!!
Old 10-19-2017, 03:06 PM
Obsessed Fan

Vader wasn't the most powerful person Luke had met, really - at least not IMO. I would think that honor would fall to Palpatine.

But I don't think it makes narrative sense for it to be either Vader OR Palpatine. We know Luke was at peace at the end of Return of the Jedi - we know he successfully started a new form of the Jedi order as he had several students. In one of the supposedly canon novels, it's said through Leia's perspective that Luke has nothing but positive emotions towards his father and his redemption - Leia even is uneasy with how fanatical Luke is about it - she calls his smile when thinking of it "beatific", if I remember correctly. We know he put everything into Ben as a "new Chosen One" (as per MH's own words - which suggests Luke thought Ben was pretty powerful), and it ended in horrific tragedy. It was the tragic event of Ben killing the other students (and we don't yet know how) that sent him into the mood and situation he's in now - not the memory of Vader or Palpatine. So if he's reluctant (then scared) to train Rey it make so much more sense if it's because of how everything went horribly wrong with Ben.

It makes too much sense for it not to be Ben that he's comparing Rey to.

We haven't even seen much action from Kylo Ren at full strength, but I believe the ST is setting up Rey and Ren as equals. She's the main character but he is her shadow. I think RJ is going to expand the Force mythology and use Rey and Kylo to do it.

~Kat

Last edited by TheCheshireKitten; 10-19-2017 at 03:25 PM
Old 10-19-2017, 03:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

ITA I've been seeing it as Luke is comparing her to Ben [Kylo] been thinking its been a failed training of Kylo that has sent Luke off on his "mood|isolation" something went wrong obviously and Luke probably feels responsible - so I see the comparing of Kylo and Rey

That is true TRYING and failing at not getting hopes up Kenobi is a great one - so if I'm wrong with Mitochondrien than want her granddaughter to Kenobi otherwise got no other theory cause refuse to believe she's a Skywalker
Old 10-20-2017, 04:33 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Bringing this over here, too:

Abrams Says 'Star Wars: Episode IX' Unites All Three Trilogies

This bodes well for the Kenobi theory
Old 10-20-2017, 08:17 AM
Elite Fan

Oh interesting! I haven't read the article because I try to limit how much knowledge I have going into films, but the title is certainly interesting. That would definitely help with the Kenobi theory. (which I also subscribe to)
Old 10-20-2017, 10:54 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh thanks for the article
Old 10-22-2017, 06:14 AM
Fan Forum Legend

It made me more hopeful
Old 10-22-2017, 06:39 AM
Master Fan

i believe in Rey Kenobi too
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top