Old 05-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

The one I go to is a non-profit.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

That's a silly way to run a business.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well, they don't have to pay the staff, 'cause they are volunteers. All the merchandise is donated. They rent out the space for events. They have fund raisers. All of the profits go to charity.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

If you say so.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

I am almost done with The Joiner King. I liked it, so far. A review will be up soon.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Jeez. I wouldn't by a book from those shops. They'd be all messed up before I got to them, pretty much a used book.
Well the book store I go to sells nothing but used book so it's all good. Nothing wrong with a buying/reading a used book. It's cheaper and like behritall said, it saves on trees.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Really? People do it all the time here. They spend hours just sitting around reading books, not always intending to buy them. And then to add to that the bookshops have an area to buy and drink coffee and snacks, while you read!
I have sat in the coffee section of B&N and read so many TPB. I've never tried to sit down and read a whole book though, but I have read the first chapter to see if I want to buy it.

I used book shops. It's like a treasure hunt.

Quote:
I am almost done with The Joiner King. I liked it, so far. A review will be up soon.
I look forward to your review.

Captain Ewevs: "You!? But we killed you!"
Boba Fett: "Yes, you killed me. And that made me very, very angry."
Old 05-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
but I have read the first chapter to see if I want to buy it.
I've done that at B&N.

I'll finish the week and write on this weekend.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't actually go to bookshops anymore. I just use Amazon.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Nothing wrong with that. Amazon sellers have good deals on used books, especially rare ones that are no longer in print.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ststriker (View Post)
Nothing wrong with that. Amazon sellers have good deals on used books, especially rare ones that are no longer in print.
I got some books that are out of print from their sellers.

Finished The Joiner King today. I'll write a review for it this weekend.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Fan Forum Star

The sellers sell new books too, at lower prices than Amzon proper.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

That's true. But the rear times I do buy new books from amazon, it's from them, not the sellers, because if I spend over $25 I get free shipping. Buying from the sellers doesn't get you free shipping.
Also, with the pre-order guarantee, if the price goes down, amazon gives you the lower price.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:17 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
That's usually my route too. I love going to bookstores, but it's so much cheaper and more efficient to use Amazon. Nowadays I only buy books at B&N when I absolutely cannot wait for it to be delivered.

Steph, what are you going to read now?

Captain Ewevs: "You!? But we killed you!"
Boba Fett: "Yes, you killed me. And that made me very, very angry."
Old 05-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Steph, what are you going to read now?
Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen.

Dark Nest I: The Joiner King by Troy Denning, (443 pages) (May 24)

I liked the book, even if it is what I call the beginning of the end for NJO era books.

I enjoyed reading the parts with Han & Leia and co. Han has some good one liners and I sympathized with him not wanting his daughter to become a "bug hugger" (a.k.a. a Joiner).

The whole Joiner thing creeps me out. They're a collective mind so nothing is private, and they all refer to themselves as "we." It was creepiest when Jaina and Zekk were together completing each other's sentences as if they were one person.
Speaking of which, this is a lame way to make a love triangle. Jaina and Jag Fel FTW.

It had been so long since I read Star By Star, but I remembered enough to get by in this book. I can just go on Wookieepeida to read the details I've forgotten about the characters that were brought back for this trilogy.

Jacen is creepy. And a bit childish. I am glad he was strong enough to avoid becoming a Joiner, but it really bugged (haha pun!) me when he was playing games with Cilghal's equipment just to prove his point.
Oh yea, his Force flow walking trick to reach out to his mother in the future -creepy. I hear he uses this ability a bit in the LOTF series.

Not enough Tenel Ka Though I did like her brief appearance. And this is where she and Jacen make a baby It's alluded to, not actually described.

R2 and Padmé recordings- I do like that Luke and Leia are starting to get some answers about their mother. But I wish we'd gotten a book like Tatooine Ghost to go deeper into all that. This was actually my whole motivation for buying this trilogy, I read online that Luke & Leia learn about their mother.

Speaking of Tatooine Ghost, the Killiks are back. And I hate Gorog for trying to turn Ben against his family, especially his mother. The fight Gorog and Mara have was a good one. Mara wasn't taking any of her crap .

So all in all, the book has a good pace, good continuity (as far as I can tell), and I there were a number of moments I enjoyed reading (even if bugs with a collective mind freak me out.)

3 out of 5 Killiks
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top