Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

Doesn't sound very egalitarian.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

Nope. I've been to tired to read this week I'll pick it up again tomorrow.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

When are you going to see Haywire?
Old 05-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

I have no idea. I still have not seen my Netflix DVDs from December...
Old 05-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ststriker (View Post)
I have read a lot of Star Wars books from the clone wars era to the New Republic era and I keep hearing all these rave reviews for the New Jedi order. I know they say never to judge a book by the cover, but every NJO book cover I see seems a little... well too Star Trekish for my tastes. No disrespect to any Trekies out there but personally it's not really my thing. Not to mention NJO is a mind-blowing 19 book series.

SPOILERS AHEAD

I've read some reviews for the NJO books and I do know some major plot points of the series, for example I know that Chewbacca dies because of Anakin Solo and Han pretty much blames him for that (I think Anakin later dies as well). Also I know that Chewie's cousin Lowbacca replaces him after he dies. Admittedly this does sound like an interesting story arch, but it doesn't seem like something I would want to go through 19 books for.

SPOILER FREE ZONE

I'm tempted to skip the whole series altogether and plunge right into Legacy of the Force, which sounds like more of a Star Wars series than NJO. Is NJO more of a Star Trekish kind of book or should I give it a chance?

I have read the series, and it certainly did not feel Star Trek-ish to me. (Another Star Wars book not part of the NJO; The Crystal Star by Vonda N. McIntyre, that felt very Star Trek-ish. Not surprisingly since McIntyre has written many Star Trek novels.)

It has some really good books in it, like Traitor by Matthew Stover, Edge of Victory II: Rebirth by Greg Keys and the last two books of the series.

But it also had some really slow and boring books too. When it was good it was GOOD, and when it was bad it was BAD.
ANd ultimately 19 books is too long a series. It took me two and a half years to read them all. I don't regret doing it, but I wouldn't read them all again. Just the GOOD ones.

From what I have heard of the Legacy of the Force series, I am not that thrilled with it.

Also, the Star Wars book series have a tendency to go back to past series for continuity. For example, I was glad I read the X-Wing book series before NJO, cause some stuff from those came back in NJO.

And now I am read Dark Nest trilogy, and things from NJO are being referred to in that series.

My advice is that if you skip NJO, at least read all the spoilers and info you can about the 19 books on Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki
Old 05-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Part-Time Fan

Thanks for reposting my comment. I was wondering why nobody was answering me. I still haven't made up my mind one way or the other about NJO, but now I'm seeing it in a different light now and I may give them a chance.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
When are you going to see Haywire?
I'm seeing it tomorrow. Maybe Steph can watch it vicariously through me...
Old 05-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ststriker (View Post)
Thanks for reposting my comment. I was wondering why nobody was answering me. I still haven't made up my mind one way or the other about NJO, but now I'm seeing it in a different light now and I may give them a chance.
If you are still not sure, you can always go to the library or book store and read it there to test it out, see if you like it.

Quote:
Maybe Steph can watch it vicariously through me...
Old 05-14-2012, 07:11 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehrItAll (View Post)
If you are still not sure, you can always go to the library or book store and read it there to test it out, see if you like it.

I might just do that. Thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

If you try reading the books in a book shop you'll get kicked out.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
It depends on what kind of relationship you have with the book shop owner. For example, I'm a good customer of the bookstore in my city. I give/buy books from them all the time and am good friends with the owners. I don't think there would be a problem if I sat down and read a few chapters from a book in there.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Really? People do it all the time here. They spend hours just sitting around reading books, not always intending to buy them. And then to add to that the bookshops have an area to buy and drink coffee and snacks, while you read!

Quote:
It depends on what kind of relationship you have with the book shop owner. For example, I'm a good customer of the bookstore in my city. I give/buy books from them all the time and am good friends with the owners. I don't think there would be a problem if I sat down and read a few chapters from a book in there.
That's a plus
Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

Jeez. I wouldn't by a book from those shops. They'd be all messed up before I got to them, pretty much a used book.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Some are used book shops to begin with it.
I have nothing against used books shops. Buy used books saves trees, and some of the proceeds the shop makes go to charity.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Sure, but when it's supposed to be a new book it should be.

And not all used book shops give to charity.