Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Master Fan

DR is re-releasing Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter with a new cover. I like the old cover better, personally.

Quote:
Savage Opress isn't the only one looking for Darth Maul. This winter, readers will be able to snatch up a classic tale of the red-and-black Sith Lord. With Maul's double-bladed saber soon lighting up the big screen next February in 3-D, it will soon be the perfect time to revisit Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, a novel by Michael Reaves originally released in 2000. This new paperback edition of the book includes an all new original Darth Maul short story by James Luceno. It is due out December 27th from Del Rey Books.
I'd like to read the short story, but I won't be buying this book. I already own the original cover. I want a brand new DM novel, not a reprint of an old book.

Captain Ewevs: "You!? But we killed you!"
Boba Fett: "Yes, you killed me. And that made me very, very angry."
Old 07-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

Ahh.. something to borrow from the library.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehrItAll (View Post)
I am way impressed. I am lucky if I make it to 25 books a year.
I've done that, but they were all from this list:

Doorstopper - Television Tropes & Idioms
Old 07-30-2011, 12:15 PM
New Fan

Heh, maybe I'm just a literary masochist. I'll go on reading a book even if it's terrible, and I have a book as thick as a table leg all about various deities and legendary figures I've read from cover to cover.

I'm actually wondering which SW novel to read next. I'm tempted to try Black Fleet Crisis since some of the stuff I've heard sounds hilarious. I also want to seriously read the X-Wing books. I hear they're good.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

I recommend the X-Wing books.
Skip Black Fleet
Old 07-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evrea (View Post)
Heh, maybe I'm just a literary masochist. I'll go on reading a book even if it's terrible, and I have a book as thick as a table leg all about various deities and legendary figures I've read from cover to cover.

I'm actually wondering which SW novel to read next. I'm tempted to try Black Fleet Crisis since some of the stuff I've heard sounds hilarious. I also want to seriously read the X-Wing books. I hear they're good.
If you're a masochist, read Black Fleet. It has this OMGAWESOMEZ0R fleet that the Empire just forgot about, Leia calling for the genocide of the Yevetha (and even Tarkin "merely" enslaved them), and Luke running away and going on the most ridiculous quest ever with
Spoiler:
while Rome burns.

(Spoiler is actually a reference to Vortex.)
Old 07-31-2011, 05:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

::still trying to figure out why anybody reads these books::

Real Star Wars? No.
Literary quality? No.
So what's the point?
Old 07-31-2011, 05:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

No, no, no. Just skip it altogether. You can read what happened in those bad books on Wookieepedia.
The X-Wing books are quite enjoyable.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

Not if they're anything like those X-Wing comics.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

I have not read the comics so I cannot say. What I can say is the books were a pleasant surprise. They had engaging plots, good action scenes, interesting characters and some funny moments that made for good comic relief. I'd rank them as some of the best SW books written.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:05 PM
Master Fan

^ I'll read them... someday.

Quote:
Ahh.. something to borrow from the library.
Exactly. I'll probably just read the short story at B&N over a cup of coffee.

Quote:
I'm tempted to try Black Fleet Crisis since some of the stuff I've heard sounds hilarious.
Oh geez I gave up on that series so fast.

Have you read the SW novels by Joe Schreiber? They're zombie books, which I know sounds campy, but they're also extremely well-written and interesting. Also the Knight Errant novel is good.

Captain Ewevs: "You!? But we killed you!"
Boba Fett: "Yes, you killed me. And that made me very, very angry."
Old 08-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehrItAll (View Post)
No, no, no. Just skip it altogether. You can read what happened in those bad books on Wookieepedia.
The X-Wing books are quite enjoyable.
Hence my comment about masochism. I just described how godawful they were.

Yeah, the comics were pretty bad. And I'm convinced Stackpole's a furry, between the Bothans, Gavin, Corran...
Old 08-01-2011, 02:52 PM
New Fan

Oh wow, you guys have actually managed to make me afraid to read Black Fleet. Is it really that bad??

I reckon X-Wing will be my next then. I've read all Zahn's books save Allegiance since I have a hell of a time finding it. Also Tatooine Ghost, the Swarm War, some of NJO and Legacy but don't remember which, Labyrinth of Evil, Force Unleashed novels and the Republic Commando series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
::still trying to figure out why anybody reads these books::

Real Star Wars? No.
Literary quality? No.
So what's the point?
Well, probably a lot of people have that same view, but I prefer the relative greyness of the EU to the moral extremism that happened in a lot of the movies. I don't like the cackling bad guys and Darth Vader's 'choke all who fail me' strategy bores me.

It might not be 'real' Star Wars but I just find the characters much more interesting for the most part. I will say though: Why is Boba Fett so popular? And I mean it as a serious question, since I really don't understand.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Hence my comment about masochism. I just described how godawful they were.
Yea, I get that. I know what masochism is, but I am saying it is not worth it.

Quote:
Oh wow, you guys have actually managed to make me afraid to read Black Fleet. Is it really that bad??
Yes, it really is that bad.

Quote:
I've read all Zahn's books save Allegiance since I have a hell of a time finding it.
Really? Have you looked online? Like amazon?

I Tatooine Ghost.
Labyrinth of Evil is good too.

I am so sad Borders is going out of business
Old 08-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evrea (View Post)
Well, probably a lot of people have that same view, but I prefer the relative greyness of the EU to the moral extremism that happened in a lot of the movies. I don't like the cackling bad guys and Darth Vader's 'choke all who fail me' strategy bores me.

It might not be 'real' Star Wars but I just find the characters much more interesting for the most part.
That sounds to me like you don't really like Star wars.