Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2018, 08:19 AM
Supreme Fan

It's not just Reylo things. I watched the YT video with JJ and Stephen Colbert and then I read the comments. Omg, I shouldn't have done that. I thought that the hate was mostly directed on Rian and TLJ, but it's all the same for JJ.

Icon Credit

Last edited by Foxie; 02-22-2018 at 11:00 AM
Old 02-22-2018, 03:20 PM
Part-Time Fan

So much hate in the SW fandom, it's disheartening

Amidst the hate, there is one couple who will rise and show everyone what love really means

We all know who they are here
Old 02-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Supreme Fan

Michael Semanick: Mixing SFX, Foley for Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Reylo parts:

Quote:
There are other areas in the film where we go extremely quiet or take the sound out completely. For example, when Rey (Daisy Ridley) and Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) first force-connect, the sound goes out completely… you only hear a little bit of their breathing. There’s one time when the force connection catches them off guard — when Kylo had just gotten done working out and Rey was walking somewhere — we took the sound completely out while she was still moving.
So, apparently Kylo was working out

Quote:
Rian loved it because when we were working on that scene we were trying to get something different. We used to have sound there, all the way through the scene. Then Rian said, “What happens if you just start taking some of the sounds out?” So, I started pulling sounds out and sure enough, when I got the sound all the way out — no music, no sounds, no backgrounds, no nothing — Rian was like, “That’s it! That just draws you in.” And it does. It pulls you into their moment. They’re pulled together even though they don’t want to be. Then we slowly brought it back in with their breathing, a little echo and a little footstep here or there. Having those types of dynamics worked into the film helped the scene at the end.

Quote:
What was the trickiest scene to mix in terms of the effects?

The moment Kylo Ren and Rey touch hands via the force connection. That was a real challenge. They’re together in the force connection, but they weren’t together physically. We were cutting back and forth from her place to Kylo Ren’s place. We were hearing her campfire and her rain. It was a very delicate balance between that and the music. We could have had the rain really loud and the music blasting, but Rian wanted the rain and fire to peel away as their hands were getting closer. It was so quiet and when they did touch there was just a bit of a low-end thump. Having a big sound there just didn’t have the intimacy that the scene demanded. It can be so hard to get the balance right to where the audience is feeling the same thing as the characters. The audience is going, “No, oh no.” You know what’s going to come, but we wanted to add that extra tension to it sonically. For me, that was one of the hardest scenes to get.

Quote:
Is there a scene you had fun with?

The fight in Snoke’s (Andy Serkis) room, between Rey and Kylo Ren. That was really fun because it was like wham-bam, and you have the lightsaber flying around. In those moments, like when Rey throws the lightsaber, we drop the sound out for a split second so when Kylo turns it on it’s even more powerful.

That scene was the most fun, but the trickiest one was that force-touch scene. We went over it a hundred different ways, to just get it to feel like we were with them. For me, if the sound calls too much attention to itself, it’s pulling you out of the story, and that’s bad mixing. I wanted the audience to lean in and feel those hands about to connect. When you take the sound out and the music out, then it’s just two hands coming together slowly. It was about finding that balance to make the audience feel like they’re in that moment, in that little hut, and they’re about to touch and see into each other’s souls, so to speak. That was a challenge, but it was fun because when you get it, and you see the audience react, everyone feels good about that scene. I feel like I did something right.

See into each other's souls

Icon Credit
Old 02-22-2018, 09:08 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxie (View Post)

See into each other's souls

The whole crew are basically shipping them too now
Old 02-23-2018, 01:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxtreme (View Post)
So much hate in the SW fandom, it's disheartening

Amidst the hate, there is one couple who will rise and show everyone what love really means

We all know who they are here

Very true That's why I'm a proud Reylo shipper. We're sharing love and respect, not hate.

I read that interview, T! I highly suspected he was mid-work out in his timid "yeah, me too" and the fact that he's sweating like crazy but OMG the confirmation is GLORIOUS

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 02-23-2018, 01:34 AM
Supreme Fan

The thought that he was working out before just makes it even more sexier

Icon Credit
Old 02-23-2018, 01:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxie (View Post)
The thought that he was working out before just makes it even more sexier

It makes it even sexier now that his attitude to Rey's "can you put on something" is "here's my body... It's yours to stare at"
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 02-23-2018, 01:41 AM
Supreme Fan

I don't know why thought of him working out feels weird to me. In the world of SW imagining someone working out kinda feels like it doesn't belong there But of course, they work out, it makes sense

Icon Credit
Old 02-23-2018, 01:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I think it's because working out is a very normal thing, and Star Wars doesn't usually go for normality And it's particularly normal for a serious guy like Kylo

And I'm half convinced that he was working out, HOPING that Rey would tap into their force bond and get extremely turned on at the sight of him
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 02-23-2018, 01:53 AM
Supreme Fan

Yeah, Star Wars doesn't usually do normal, that it doesn't occur to you that they do normal things as well. Imagine how surprised you'd be if we saw somebody in the shower or Rey shaving her legs

Whether it was intentional or not, I think he succeeded

Icon Credit
Old 02-23-2018, 01:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I would have fainted if they had had the guts to show Kylo stepping out of the shower because I bet he would have refused to put on a towel

And let's be honest - we all know how strong Ben's feelings for Rey are, in terms of the fact that he would have covered up if she irritated him. Nope, she's flustered and he knows it and he LOVES it.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 02-23-2018, 02:02 AM
Supreme Fan

Wow, the thought of Kylo in the shower and Rey popping up

He would have covered up if it was anyone else. We all know how are things with Kylo and intimacy and hiding his true self. This was a huge deal that he let her see him not only internally, but also externally.

Icon Credit
Old 02-23-2018, 02:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I love how he's always stripping in front of Rey - Ben allows himself to be emotionally and physically naked in front of Rey.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 02-23-2018, 02:20 AM
Supreme Fan

It's just so beautiful

But rey does the same thing. The hut scene where she was telling her deepest and darkest thoughts At least emotionally, she didn't get to the physical part yet

Icon Credit
Old 02-23-2018, 02:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

You know my favorite moments in the hut scene?

1) When Ben looks down at her hand, cautiously looks back up for approval, and Rey nods
2) The tear that slowly streaks down Rey's face when they finally touch

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top