Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2018, 05:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxie (View Post)
I know that people say books shouldn't be needed to understand the movie or characters, but I think that in this case Lucasfilm takes it as necessary additional content and they expects us to read it.
If the books weren't meant to be taken seriously in the canon, then I honestly don't think Disney/LucasFilm would allow them to be published alongside the movie releases.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 05-02-2018, 06:08 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4brathan&brucas (View Post)
If the books weren't meant to be taken seriously in the canon, then I honestly don't think Disney/LucasFilm would allow them to be published alongside the movie releases.

People will just have to used to the fact, that they have to read now

Icon Credit
Old 05-02-2018, 06:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
People will just have to used to the fact, that they have to read now
People in this fandom never accept anything easily They argue about everything.

What I don't understand is why they're acting like the books are irrelevant, even though people still use the books from years ago as examples for talking about the original characters. It's hypocritical.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 05-02-2018, 06:19 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
What I don't understand is why they're acting like the books are irrelevant, even though people still use the books from years ago as examples for talking about the original characters. It's hypocritical.

Omg, that's so true, I didn't realize how hypocritical some of them are. I think that's quite simple, they don't like it, because it doesn't fit their narrative.

Icon Credit
Old 05-02-2018, 06:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Omg, that's so true, I didn't realize how hypocritical some of them are. I think that's quite simple, they don't like it, because it doesn't fit their narrative.
Exactly. They reject anything that doesn't fit their agenda.

I personally can't wait to start reading LAST SHOT. I just hope I can time-manage stuff better to allow for it.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 05-02-2018, 06:30 AM
Supreme Fan

I hope I'm gonna be able to read it soon too

Icon Credit
Old 05-02-2018, 06:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
I hope I'm gonna be able to read it soon too
Also, I need to get reading Fry's TLJ. I stopped somewhere around Chapter 5 and it's bugging me that I never have the time to get back to it Han Solo's funeral was sad to read but I'm so pleased that it was included. We got more of Leia's suffering in that part.

I think the book material is important for understanding more of Ben and Luke's dynamic. Due to the 30 year time jump from the OT to the ST, we only see Ben as an adult, and many people only see him as Kylo Ren and they CHOOSE to side with Luke, despite the fact that even Luke has clarified that he was a "frightened boy" and he deeply regrets letting Ben down.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 05-02-2018, 06:50 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Also, I need to get reading Fry's TLJ. I stopped somewhere around Chapter 5 and it's bugging me that I never have the time to get back to it Han Solo's funeral was sad to read but I'm so pleased that it was included. We got more of Leia's suffering in that part.
I'm almost at the end. But Han's funeral was sad indeed

Quote:
I think the book material is important for understanding more of Ben and Luke's dynamic. Due to the 30 year time jump from the OT to the ST, we only see Ben as an adult, and many people only see him as Kylo Ren and they CHOOSE to side with Luke, despite the fact that even Luke has clarified that he was a "frightened boy" and he deeply regrets letting Ben down.

Oh, he said that. And I know that I'm repeating myself already, but if only people were just paying attention to it. Things aren't spelled out to them that much in this trilogy, but that part was and they don't take it into consideration at all.

Icon Credit
Old 05-02-2018, 06:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Things aren't spelled out to them that much in this trilogy, but that part was and they don't take it into consideration at all.
If everything was spelled out, they would complain about that, too. It's a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation for the Star Wars writers and I think that's why Rian Johnson says he tries to ignore the vicious backlash comments, because he knows they would complain anyway just for the sake of it. People aren't happy unless they have something to whine about.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 05-02-2018, 07:06 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4brathan&brucas (View Post)
If everything was spelled out, they would complain about that, too. It's a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation for the Star Wars writers and I think that's why Rian Johnson says he tries to ignore the vicious backlash comments, because he knows they would complain anyway just for the sake of it. People aren't happy unless they have something to whine about.

Every director should take the same approach as Rian. You can never please anyone, you just have to trust your gut and mostly yourself that what you is the right thing. Rian said it many times, that you have to make the movie you like.

Icon Credit
Old 05-02-2018, 07:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Every director should take the same approach as Rian. You can never please anyone, you just have to trust your gut and mostly yourself that what you is the right thing. Rian said it many times, that you have to make the movie you like.
Agreed. It was important to him and that's what matters the most.

James Cameron took the same approach to Aliens. As a sequel, he was terrified of it not matching up to the incredibly well-received Alien, but it was actually Oscar-nommed and people love it as much as the Original.

Sometimes you have to just go with your gut instinct and not be afraid to disappoint people.

I still think Rian's work with Luke's character in TLJ is something to be proud of. The same old Luke from the Originals would, quite frankly, have bored the hell out of me.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 05-03-2018, 07:19 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I wouldn't necessarily be bored with the old Luke because he's energetic and fun but it wouldn't have had any dramatic sense to the journey. Like, the galaxy is going to ****, you can't have the same Yoda under these circumstances that are much darker now.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:52 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Plus Luke wasn't Yoda Yoda hid away and didn't see anybody - while Luke tried and failed majorly to keep the Jedi Order going by his failure with Ben - so this Luke made sense but at the same time his trying to kill Ben like that was
Old 05-08-2018, 08:07 AM
Supreme Fan

Now I'm confused Luke hid himself from the world too after his failure with Ben...

Icon Credit
Old 05-08-2018, 08:09 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Yes but first he attempted something like bringing in the new Jedi while Yoda hid from the Galaxy due to how he had too
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top