Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2016, 01:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Pocahontas #7: "No matter what happens to me, I’ll always be with you. Forever."

Welcome to the Pocahontas appreciation thread!

the story;
This movie starts when a ship of British settlers of the Virginia Company sets sail towards the "New World". Onboard the ship are Captain John Smith,
and the leader Governor Ratcliffe, who believes the local Native Americans are hiding a vast collection of gold, and seeks to gain it for his own.
In the local tribe in the New World, lives a girl named Pocahontas, who is the daughter of Chief Powhatan. Pocahontas finds herself torn between two
paths: should she marry the heroic and "too serious" warrior Kocoum, like her father wants her to; or should she follow her dream, a dream that seems to be
pointing her to a different and unknown path?
Pocahontas feels that a change is coming, and that change happens when the English ship lands near her village. She then meets the brave John Smith,
and they end up for falling in love with each other.
But sadly, their love is doomed, since the two of them are from very different worlds. The differences and the misunderstandings between both civilizations,
along with Ratcliffe’s greed, lead into an ugly confrontation involving both sides, and in which John gets badly injured. Being his return to England
the only chance he has to survive, Smith has to go back to his country. Pocahontas is needed in her village, so she decides to stay.
This Disney movie ended in a perhaps not very typical Disney way. Two lovers got separated, but they stayed together in their hearts, in a movie that teaches
people precious lessons about respecting each other’s differences, and search for peace, no matter what.

•••

movie history;
Pocahontas is the thirty-third animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classics movies. It was produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation, and was originally
released to selected theaters on June 16th (1995) by Walt Disney Pictures. It belongs to the era known as the Disney Renaissance, which began in 1989 and ended in 1999.
It's the first Disney movie based on a real historic character and on the known history and folklore that surrounded the Native American woman Pocahontas.
A video game based on the film was released across various platforms shortly after the film's theatrical release, and the film itself was followed by a sequel,Pocahontas II:
Journey to a New World
, in 1998.

Pocahontas won several awards, including two Oscars for Best Song ("Colors of the Wind") and Best Original Score.

Directed by: Mike Gabriel and Eric Goldberg.
Starring: the voices of Irene Bedard (speaking Pocahontas), Judy Kuhn (singing Pocahontas), Mel Gibson (John Smith),
David Ogden Stiers (Governor Ratcliffe&Wiggins), John Kassir (Meeko), Russell Means (Powhatan), Christian Bale (Thomas)
and Linda Hunt (Grandmother Willow).

•••

"Sometimes the right path is not the easiest one." ~ Grandmother Willow

"Well, it’s not like I have much of a home to go back to. I’ve never really belonged anywhere." ~ John Smith
"You could belong here." ~ Pocahontas

"I’d rather die tomorrow than live a hundred years without knowing you." ~ John Smith

I won’t! I love him, father. Look around you. This is where the path of hatred has brought us.
This is the path I choose, father.What will yours be?"
~ Pocahontas

No matter what happens to me, I’ll always be with you. Forever.

Release Date: Aug 25, 1998
Summery: Pocahontas sets off on a journey to England with Meeko, Flit, and Percy. Hearing rumors of John Smith's death, Pocahontas tries to prevent war and battle.

Cast:

Irene Bedard as Pocahontas(voice)
Donal Gibson as John Smith(voice)
Jim Cummings as King James(voice)
Finola Hughes as Queen Anne(voice)
Linda Hunt as Grandmother Willow(voice)
see full cast

x

Music is all you need ♪

See where a dance can lead ♫

You two might come to see ♪

You were meant to be ♫

So much more ♪

x

Supporters List;
•••1: Lostcandy
•••2: Moonlight_shine
•••3: baelfire24
•••4: Miss Negative
•••5: livstevi21
•••6: Arawen
•••7: SargeantFuzzyBoots
•••8: WeBuiltThePyramids
•••9: AutumnColors
•••10: sourburst

OP made by free to fly & My Kind Of Crazy

Previous threads:
#1 / #2 / #3 / #4 / #5 / #6 / #7

Last edited by livstevi21; 04-24-2022 at 02:42 AM
livstevi21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the new thread.
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

You're welcome.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

One of the best quotes for the title.
My LJ
Old 06-03-2016, 03:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

I agree.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

I love this.

My LJ
Old 06-10-2016, 01:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

One of my favourite scenes from the movie.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

Mine too. I love when he first sees her. Beautiful.
My LJ
Old 07-24-2016, 01:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Gives me the chills every time.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:25 AM
Master Fan

Colors of the Wind (From Disney's "Pocahontas") - Violin Cover - Taylor Davis - Taylor Davis

Who Are You and What Do You Want?

ic: shinebrighterxx
Jason Morgan | Wanda Maximoff | Prince Zuko/Mai | Prince Zuko/ Sukka | Draco/Pansy/Blaise/Theo | Princess Zelda / Link | Clark & Lois
baelfire24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Thanks for the video, will watch it later.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:38 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Yes. Thanks for posting that. I'm going to try to watch ''Pocahontas'' & ''Pocahontas II'' this week. Haven't been able to watch em lately.
canflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:30 PM
I am a basketball genius!

I watched ''Pocahontas'' on DVD last night. It had been a while since I'd seen it, but ''Pocahontas'' is a good film. I had forgotten that Grandmother Willow was a talking tree. If I was a tree that could talk to humans I'd tell them to ''stop cutting us down.'' She didn't mention that. I like that she could scare people easily. I didn't quite understand why the white people kept calling them ''Indians'' when they are actually Native Americans. I guess it's not a big deal, but simple to just call them ''Natives''. I also didn't understand why John Smith was never that I recall referred to as just ''John''. It was always ''John Smith''.

And Finally, wasn't John Smith from England? If so, where was his accent? Nice film though I don't know if most men that were in love with Pocahontas would've still chosen to leave her there, but I'll try to watch ''Pocahontas II'' today.
canflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

John Smith was voiced by Mel Gibson. So yeah, he wasn't going to sound particularly British. As for the white people calling them Indians rather than Natives, I'm not entirely knowledgable as to why that is, but I believe at the time, they weren't known as Natives, just Indians. To be honest, I look at Disney's Pocahontas as something completely cut off from it's historical counterpart and 90% cut off from reality. The real Pocahontas was in her early teens when she met John Smith. Possibly even a little younger. She didn't travel to England by her own accord like she did in Pocahontas II she was kidnapped and held for ransom by the English during the Anglo-Indian hostilities. She converted to Christianity and changed her name to Rebecca. And she married John Rolfe when she was 17. She died when she was only around 21.

Was making this film an insult to the historical facts of the real Pocahontas? Probably. If they had changed the names then it might have got away with it more. But because it is SO loosely based I honestly never look at it that way and just enjoy it for what it is.

And the reason I so detest Pocahontas II? Well...I think it's even more of an insult because they TRIED to make it more 'historically accurate' by having Pocahontas travel to England and marry John Rolfe at the end of the film. But they fail miserably at it.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

for members now watching the second.