Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2017, 03:37 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Don't you think there shouldn't be sequels after a long enough period of time has passed?
Old 03-30-2017, 03:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Are you asking me?
My LJ
Old 03-30-2017, 03:45 PM

Yeah. Remakes I know are different though I wonder in general if people think they are worse than sequels.

So you want more animated films then?
Old 03-31-2017, 02:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnColorsღ (View Post)
Some of those I knew about, some I didn't. I am up for the idea of Mulan but I am starting to feel more on the same page with you Liv on that they should slow down or just stop completely on doing more live action with classic films.

I saw this article too. This person pointed out some good points in their opinion.

Please, Disney, Don’t Do Any More Live-Action Remakes
Great article, completely agree with a lot of what they said.

The thing about sequels though is that they have to be warranted. It doesn't matter how long they wait until making a sequel, it has to be relevant. And I'm not just talking about all the dumb direct to video sequels (well, most of them). Mary Poppins is a great example of a sequel that isn't exactly warranted or needed. The first movie was perfection, a classic that should be generally left alone. The theatrical musical show is fantastic though. But I am intrigued by the prospect of this sequel, especially when two of the stars of the first are going to appear in the sequel, back together after over 50 years! Disney making more live action films is all well and good, but most of these are not original concepts, unlike their new animated films recently. We've been spoiled with such awesome new animated stories over the last decade or so. Princess & the Frog, Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootropolis and Moana have all been great original films (hopefully going to watch Moana myself next Friday). All these announcements of live action remakes of their animated classics are not needed, but Disney want to cash in on them. It makes me feel that they think their 2D animated films are not viable art forms anymore. And that makes me sad. Some people may think they are just paying homage or tribute to them by making these live action remakes, but I think they're just cashing in now. They're remaking far too many and it's obvious why.

Maleficent - Great film, not perfect but had a refreshing take on the Sleeping Beauty tale, a very interesting twist on the villain's story. I certainly don't consider Maleficent to be a live action remake of Sleeping Beauty like some people do. But does it warrant a sequel? What happened to 'happily ever after'?
Cinderella - Wasn't exactly needed, but I appreciate it nonetheless. It had some original ideas and added more layers to the characters.
The Jungle Book - By far the best live action remake so far. The original Jungle Book is a classic but sombre and laid back affair, the new one again added more layers to the characters.
Beauty & the Beast - To remake a movie that not only was Disney's biggest and most beloved hit prior to the Lion King, it was the first and only animated movie to be nominated for best picture at the Oscars, it's a huge risk. How can you improve on perfection?

Future films:

The Lion King - I've already said everything about why this doesn't need to be made a few times now, so I'll just leave it.
Mulan - Potential, but why? Aladdin - Same. The Little Mermaid - Ditto
Dumbo - Again, I've already explained why this is a dumb move (pun intended)
The Jungle Book 2 - Why?
Cruella - Intriguing. I'm guessing along the same lines as Maleficent, though how on earth could you make Cruella sympathetic? She kills puppies! I think OUAT did a pretty good job on that spin already so....
Winnie the Pooh - The story of Christopher Robin. Still know very little about this so I'll leave judgement till later.
Tinker Bell - I actually do want to see Reese Witherspoon as our favourite Pixie
Peter Pan - WHY?! We have a pretty good live action non Disney Peter Pan (2003) Yes, 14 years ago but still viable. Besides, we have Tinker Bell!
Pinocchio -
The Sword in the Stone? Could have potential though. The original wasn't exactly well received.
James and the Giant Peach - Why?
Snow White - What?!
Rose Red - Intriguing, need to know more about it
Genies - again, intriguing...but since we're also getting Aladdin....which seems more viable? And yeah, there's no Genie without Robin Williams.

Phew. Ok, I'm done now.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:15 PM

OK, so those future films you listed are ones already announced to be made right? When did you post about Dumbo being a ''dumb'' movie? I think I missed that. Though of the Disney films off the top of my I head that ''Dumbo'' isn't 1 I'd say needs a sequel. Was there ever a sequel to ''Cinderella'' or did she just live ''happily eve after'' with what his face?
Old 03-31-2017, 08:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by canflam (View Post)
Yeah. Remakes I know are different though I wonder in general if people think they are worse than sequels.

So you want more animated films then?
I personally don't mind sequels as much. Of course theres been some that I didn't like and thought that it didn't need to be made into a sequel and others that I really enjoyed like The Lion King II for example. Loved that sequel.

I was mostly referring to animated film classics being turned into live action films.

Wow Liv, you went to town with that post. You pointed out some really good examples.
My LJ
Old 04-01-2017, 01:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Quote:
Originally Posted by canflam (View Post)
OK, so those future films you listed are ones already announced to be made right? When did you post about Dumbo being a ''dumb'' movie? I think I missed that. Though of the Disney films off the top of my I head that ''Dumbo'' isn't 1 I'd say needs a sequel. Was there ever a sequel to ''Cinderella'' or did she just live ''happily eve after'' with what his face?
I wasn't talking about the original Dumbo movie being dumb of course, that's a classic, but remaking it into live action is a dumb move in my opinion. They're not making a sequel to Dumbo, as far as I know, it's just a live action remake, which just makes no sense to me. I was basically going off from the list on that article and voicing similar opinions to what that person said, but yes, I believe all those movies have all been officially announced.

Disney made two direct to video sequels to the original Cinderella; Cinderella II Dreams Come True and Cinderella III A Twist in Time. They've yet to announce a sequel to the live action remake, but I can see it happening, given the fact they've become so predictable. Disney made a ton of direct to video sequels from their subsidiary Disney Toon Studios. Bambi, Lady & the Tramp, Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, The Jungle Book, The Fox & the Hound, The Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mulan, Tarzan and Lilo & Stitch also all got one or more sequels. The only sequel that really got any attention because it is counted in Disney's official classic line up is The Rescuers Down Under. Like Jenny, The Lion King 2 (and to some extent the third) is one of the few exceptions for me, and I really do like that one.

Thanks Jenny. It's one of the subjects I'm quite passionate about so I felt I had to explain as much as I could with my feelings about it.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I had no idea they were doing that many live actions until now.

The Beauty and the Beast I thought they did pretty well on. The original is my favorite Disney film.

Couples
GO BLUES Julie
Old 04-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

Mine too Julie.

How pretty and some fun ideas. Not sure I would of wore them to my prom then but I'd wear them to a party or something like that now.
Disney Is Making Princess-Inspired Prom Dresses

My LJ
Old 04-07-2017, 12:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Some of those dresses are really cute!
Old 04-10-2017, 05:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Pretty dresses. I would wear Snow White and Minnie one.

Couples
GO BLUES Julie
Old 04-11-2017, 12:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

I love how simple and understated they are. I'd love to wear the Pocahontas one, the Enchanted Tiki one and the Mary Poppins one. I also love how each dress comes with all those matching accessories!
Old 04-12-2017, 07:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

I do too. It's a really fun and cute idea. It would be so fun to go back in time to my prom again and do a Disney theme with some friends.
My LJ
Old 04-20-2017, 02:54 AM
Master Fan

Last edited by LightYears; 04-20-2017 at 03:00 AM
Old 04-20-2017, 04:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for link. I never seen Life Size before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnColorsღ (View Post)
I do too. It's a really fun and cute idea. It would be so fun to go back in time to my prom again and do a Disney theme with some friends.
Me too. That would of been awesome.

Couples
GO BLUES Julie
Closed Thread   Post New Thread