Fan Forum Hero
Joined: Oct 2003
June Carter (WTL) #6 - Five words: Baby, baby, baby, baby, baby!
Welcome to the fifth June Carter Appreciation Thread!
All made by Bernie (wag1000).
Title Walk the Line
Release Date November 18th, 2005
Studio 20th Century Fox
Director James Mangold
Screenwriters James Mangold, Gill Dennis
Co-Starring Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Patrick, Ginnifer Goodwin
Genre Drama, Musical
MPAA Rating PG-13 (language, thematic material and depiction of drug dependency)
He picked cotton, sold door to door, and served in the Air Force. He was a voice of rebellion that changed the face of rock and roll. An outlaw before today's rebels were born - and an icon they would never forget. He did all this before turning 30. And his name was Johnny Cash (Joaquin Phoenix). Walk the Line explores the early years of the music legend, an artist who transcended musical boundaries to touch people around the globe. As his music changed the world, Cash's own world was rocked by the woman who became the love of his life: June Carter (Reese Witherspoon).
• "I'll be right there, Bill, I'll be right there. Well, Bill, I got tangled. In Johnny Cash's guitar strap! Don't worry, I can keep this funny for atleast two minutes. And I can tell you what Bill, he's a strappin' boy, that Johnny Cash! His guitar strap is pretty strappin' too!"
• "I've been meaning to ask you how you came up with that sound. Steady like a train, sharp like a razor."
• "I'm not really much of a singer, John. I mean, I've got personality, I've got sass. I give it my all but my sister is really the one whose got the pipes."
• "That's how I learned to be funny. So I'd have something to offer."
• "And what about me Jerry Lee,. Am I going to hell?"
• "Sleepy is what I am."
• "Whenever I finish a book I give it away to somebody. It just lightens my load."
• "I just went through a divorce. And I've got the world judging me right now. And it's really none of my business but it seems you have a nice family."
• "You found your sound 'cause you can't play no better. You just tried to kiss me because it just happened. You should try taking credit for something every once in a while."
• "I'm sorry I let you down, ma'am."
• "There's too many 'if's in that sentence."
• "How dare you talk to me like that! What was I thinking, I must've been crazy! You're gonna blow this tour. You can't walk no line!"
• "It burns. It burns."
• "Oh please, get up off your knees! You look pathetic!"
• "Where's my friend John? Did he get high? Or is he incognito? Is he gone? 'Cause I don't like this guy Cash!"
• "I had a friend who needed help. You're my friend."
• "You're not nothing'. You're a good man. And God has given you a second chance to make things right, John. This is your chance, honey."
• "My problem is that it's 2am. My problem is I'm asleep. I'm on a tour bus with eight stinkin' men. Rule number one - don't propose to a girl in a bus! You got that? Rule number two - don't tell her it's because you had a bad dream!"
• "Why don't you ask your big fat shadow? Come on baby... Baby baby baby baby baby!"
Reese signed on to the film assuming she would not sing any of the songs by herself but ended up performing several as June Carter. It was a real challenge for the woman who has confessed that she could previously not sing a note but also had a serious stage fright. Reese practised singing for six months and also took autoharp lessons.
The Walk the Line cast recorded a whole album. Reese's tracks include Wildwood Flower, Jukebox Blues, It Aint Me Babe and Jackson. You can listen to some clips and watch footage at walkthelinemusic.com. The soundtrack may be ordered from Amazon.
• The filming of Walk the Line begun in early July 2004 but Reese and Joaquin started preparing back in January. The film was shot location in Memphis and Nashville, Tennessee, Mississippi and Arkansas. They wrapped up in September.
• It has been rumoured that June Carter Cash chose Reese to play herself.
• Unfortunately Reese never got to meet June Carter Cash herself but the Cash family has been very supportive of her and helped her prepare for the role in every possible way.
"I feel thrilled to be part of it. I was desperate to play June Carter Cash. I would have crawled on hands and knees halfway to Memphis to play her. Partly because I grew up in Nashville, Tennessee, so country music is just part of my heritage and upbringing. It's in my blood."
"It's been so hard, it's been really, really one of the hardest movies I've ever had to make. I had to do four months of rehearsals. I had to learn to play autoharp. I had to take singing lessons. I had to record an album, which was the most challenging, horrifying experience of my life. Me singing in front of people while they're listening to me is just horrifying. And it gets exponentially horrifying when extras show up and have to watch you and you have to pretend you're at a concert and singing and they like it."
"Reese is adorable. She's great. I got to spend some time with her, and she's just a wonderful angel. I believe that she's doing an excellent job as my mother."
- John Carter Cash
Source: Glamour Reese Witherspoon (R-witherspoon.com)
i know you.
Joined: Aug 2007
Awww. I love the title! Thanks for the new thread.
"I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you... to make each day count."