Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2018, 12:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Trevor Jackson says his rat-tail was inspired by Anakin Skywalker

From Yahoo:

Quote:
"Trevor Jackson will not rock a rat-tail in SuperFly, his upcoming remake of the 1972 blaxploitation classic, much to the chagrin of the 21-year-old actor-singer.

“I wanted him to have a rat-tail, a long one” Jackson told Yahoo Entertainment at CinemaCon in Las Vegas (watch above). “I wanted it to come down [over my shoulder] and have gold on it. [Director] X was like, ‘No.’ I’m like, ‘Dude, it would be fire!'”

Anyone familiar with Jackson’s work on the popular sitcom Grown-ish,or with his social media presence knows he takes some pride in his rare choice of hairstyle. In fact, it’s not a leap to say he has become the country’s foremost proponent of the look.

“I love it, I love the position I’ve been handed as rat-tail senator. It means a lot to me,” Jackson said. “And to the community. I’ve had many a kid come up to me and say, ‘Hey, I got a rat-tail because of you.’ And it just makes my heart warm. It grows it two times.”

Jackson credits his adoption of the ‘tail to one specific movie character: Anakin Skywalker, as played by Hayden Christensen in the Star Wars prequels, Attack of the Clones (2002) and Revenge of the Sith (2005).

“Before I put out my album Rough Drafts, Pt. 1 that just came out, and I was very frustrated musically,” he said. “I watched Star Wars [Episodes I-III] with Anakin, and I was like, ‘I feel like him.’ I felt like I was good, and I could write all my songs and sing better than most guys. … But nobody was giving me a shot, and I couldn’t go, and nobody was believing in my vision.

“I felt like Anakin! Am I good? Am I bad? And he had a tail, and it kept getting longer the whole time — till he cut it off before he became Darth Vader.”

Jackson stayed true to his inspiration by titling one of those songs on Rough Drafts, Pt. 1 — you guessed it — “Anakin.”

I remember when New Kids on the Block had rat tails.

What about Obi-Wan's Padawan braid?
Old 04-28-2018, 08:30 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I have no idea who Trevor Jackson is, but I went to elementary school with a kid who had a rat tail. He was an ass.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

I never heard of him either.
And when I was in elementary school the boys had rat tails too. So it must be a trend that comes and goes every few years.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

I never heard of him either.
And when I was in elementary school the boys had rat tails too. So it must be a trend that comes and goes every few years.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

My brother had one when he was 3 years old for a few months.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Who made that decision for him when he was 3?
Old 04-28-2018, 09:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Father.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:37 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I felt bad for Augie in Wonder when the kids made fun of him for having a Padawan braid.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

Ever have a hairstyle you hated?
Old 04-29-2018, 04:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

No, because all my hairstyles have been very basic. Either bangs with short hair, bangs with long hair, or no bangs and short hair, or no bangs with long hair.

You?
Old 04-30-2018, 08:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

I guess a few. More like when I dyed my hair red I was very bad with the upkeep.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:14 AM
Fan Forum Legend

upkeep is too hard.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

Syfy Wire: “There’s certainly a lot to like in Attack of the Clones”

From Syfy Wire:

Quote:
"The release of this month's Solo: A Star Wars Story is still a few weeks away, so what better way to celebrate the advent of everyone's favorite Star Wars holiday, May the 4th (be with you), than by rewatching an episode of the Star Wars saga? I chose Episode II because it's one of the ones fans are least likely to rewatch, um, ever. [...]

So great was my need to never see a bad Star Wars film that I did not see Episodes I or II 'til early 2017, 18 years and 15 years after their respective releases. By then, the saga had been rebooted to mostly great effect, and it was no longer possible to hide in a hole with a VCR and three '80s-era VHS tapes marked "Star Wars/ Nothing But Star Wars." (Not that I did that, but you know what I mean.) I watched both much-maligned episodes for the first time a little over a year ago, and, now, Episode II for the second time. Believe it or not, I really love Attack of the Clones. [...]

Okay, so, what's the good news? Well, aside from Anakin's toxic behavior and the four-ish minutes of Jar Jar Binks screen time, pretty much everything else.

First off, the look of the film is beautiful. From the speeder-chase in a bright yellow sports-speeder on Coruscant to the asteroid belt fight scene against the glowing backdrop of the red planet Geonosis to the "machines making machines" C-3PO factory nightmare sequence, any number of frames of this film could be wall art. Any number of stills look like one-pagers in a comic book. Take, for instance, just a random shot of Amidala surrounded by her captors in the droid factory. It's like a painting.

Having not seen the early 'aughts Star Wars films as many times as the '70s/'80s films, I forgot (or never realized) how great they look. Even something like Yoda's fight scene with Count Dooku, which seemed out of place in some way the first time I saw it, didn't bother me the second time around. The look of this film, from Naboo's Space Italy to Coruscant's PG-rated Blade Runner City, was a real visual feast. (Side note: I also really dug all the panoramic views and wall-to-wall carpeting inside the buildings in Coruscant. Coruscant-chic could totally be a thing.)

Secondly, the humor was just right. This film was written by George Lucas and directed by George Lucas, and so it has that very, very exact brand of George Lucas humor one expects in a Star Wars film. [...]

For instance, in the following frame, a beheaded C3PO is saying, "I'm beside myself right now."

That, my friends, is some good old-fashioned cornball Star Wars humor.

Third (but maybe first): The plot of this one is great. It's creative, it's complex, it unfolds organically from a very small story (preventing the assassination of Senator Amidala) into a larger one, and never lags. Every scene feels important, every scene is of interest. Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi and Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu really shine. I'd watch a whole film just of Obi-Wan as a space P.I. trying to crack tough space cases. It works. The scene on Kamino in which Obi-Wan bluffs his way through to his inspection of the clones is among the best and most surprising in all the films. The plot of this film turns and twists but never breaks, and rarely shows its hand. It undeniably works as a whole.

Which brings me to a two-minute sequence in the film that I'm sure must be divisive but that I absolutely loved: Dex's Diner.

I love the Space Diner. I love Dex, I love Dex's mustache, I love the droid waitress, I love the chrome stools, I love the Jawa juice — I love Dex's Diner.

I want to listen to a podcast that is just Obi-Wan and Dex chatting on the topics of the week live from Dex's Diner. (Someone in real life made a lollipop out of Jar Jar Binks's tongue, so I don't think wanting this podcast is asking too much.) Oh, you may say, what is an actual 1950s diner doing in space? And to that I say: Multiverse, chaos theory, why should a cantina be a more basic form of human organization, or a Senate, or a nightclub, or a farm, than a 1950s diner? And yes, you might say the chrome stools would truly be a random thing to be replicated on another planet, and to that I'd say, "Look, your worshipfulness, I take orders from just one person: me!"

But, seriously, there is something so bold and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy-ish about choosing to have a 1950s-style diner in space. After this rewatch, it's one of my new favorite two minutes of Star Wars.

Lastly, the origin stories we see in this film are phenomenal. Boba Fett's childhood (Boba Fett picking up his father's helmet/head is one of the most affecting shots of the entire film), the origins of the Stormtroopers (in my first viewing it was truly outrageous to see Stormtroopers defending Jedis), and our very first sighting of a rendering of the Death Star are all in this film. There's certainly a lot to like in Attack of the Clones, especially where the character of Obi-Wan is concerned.

Watch it again I might."
Old 05-04-2018, 08:09 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
The look of this film, from Naboo's Space Italy
Italy is so beautiful, George Lucas decided to forget CGI for that one planet, because CGI could never measure up.

Quote:
I'd watch a whole film just of Obi-Wan as a space P.I. trying to crack tough space cases. It works. The scene on Kamino in which Obi-Wan bluffs his way through to his inspection of the clones is among the best and most surprising in all the films.
I would too, and it's a good thing George had a good actor to play these scenes.

Quote:
I want to listen to a podcast that is just Obi-Wan and Dex chatting on the topics of the week live from Dex's Diner.
Someone should do it.

Solo Writers: Young Han Was "An Opportunity" To Deal With Him Being "Truly Attracted" To A Woman

So Han wasn't attracted to Leia? What an insult!
Old 05-05-2018, 01:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMouse (View Post)
No, because all my hairstyles have been very basic. Either bangs with short hair, bangs with long hair, or no bangs and short hair, or no bangs with long hair.

You?
I've never dyed my hair, but the only hairstyle I've never been too fond of was in the 3rd/4th grade when my mother had me grow out my beautifully short hair a bit and got me a perm. I'm not a fan of the little orphan Annie popcorn hair look.