Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Elite Fan

Have fun in NY, Suzi! There's no place like NY in October.

The Amy Winehouse news is sad, but I can't say that I find it at all shocking. When you live on the edge, there's always a chance you'll go over it. Doesn't mean she wasn't talented. Just means she had an illness she couldn't beat. Addiction sucks.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I'll never understand why people start with drugs in the first place. Everyone knows where that path can lead, so why do they even try?

Now she's part of the 27 Club.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Master Fan

Thanks Rachel, have been once before in October and it was perfect!

Vic - have got a few things we want to schedule in (going up the Statue of Liberty crown for starters) but I'll let you know what time we do have free and we'll see what we can do.

Watched the YouTube clip of Steph being interviewed, it was great!

My photoblog
Old 07-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
going up the Statue of Liberty crown for starters
that sounds like a lot of fun. Have you done that before?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMouse (View Post)
I'll never understand why people start with drugs in the first place. Everyone knows where that path can lead, so why do they even try?
People think they're invincible. And addiction is a very misunderstood illness, even by the addicts themselves.

Quote:
Now she's part of the 27 Club.
Not a club anyone should strive to be a part of.

I did the Liberty Crown when I was a kid. I found it terrifying at the time, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I probably would now.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Master Fan

No, the crown was closed after 9/11 and only reopened after my last visit. When we went in 2000 we didn't even go to Liberty Island just past it on the Staten Island ferry.

Any good restaurant tips would be welcome.

My photoblog
Old 07-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Suzi, there's a Korean tea house on Park Avenue if you're into vegan food. It's called Franchia. Franchia- New York City New York: Vegan Restaurant Reviews and Ratings - HappyCow

Did you book your tickets for the Statue of Liberty yet?
Actual Janet ~ Councillors Supporter #28 Let's call it hope
Old 07-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Is there a price range or a type of food you're interested in for the restaurant?
Old 07-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's a good question.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:59 AM
Master Fan

Not wanting to sound too flashy but not really! We'll definitely treat ourselves to a "decent" meal whilst we're out there!

Would love to see my hubby's face if I took him to a vegan restaurant!! He doesn't class it a meal if it doesn't include meat but thanks for the tip anyway...keep them coming. We do have some fave places that we've visited before but it's always good to try something new.

My photoblog
Old 07-26-2011, 06:31 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Capital Grille near Grand Central serves meat. I've never actually tried this place, but a lot of business people go there, so it must be good. There's also Osteria Laguna, which is also near Grand Central. That serves Italian dishes, and I do enjoy that place. Eataly near the Flatiron served really good pizza. If you like Indian food, Gandhi is a good place. It was used in the film Remember Me. I can give you the address if that interests you.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the new thread!
Caroline ♥ Katie (Hello from the other side)
Old 07-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Master Fan

I'm going to google all those places now. I think my sister went to the Capital Grille the other year. We're only stopping a few blocks south of Grand Central so the ones you've suggested would be nice and local for us. I'm sure H would love to go to Gandhi but I'm not a fan of Indian cuisine.
Keep them coming ladies!

My photoblog
Old 07-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I have a lot of family who are very much in the same mindset (this is just the garnish, where's the meat?) I wish I could help you otherwise.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzi c (View Post)
Any good restaurant tips would be welcome.
I don't know if these are helpful because none of them are anywhere near midtown, but if you are looking to explore the village a bit:

One If by Land, Two if by Sea in the West Village is really nice for a special, romantic night out with the hubby.

One of my favorite places is Spring Street Natural Restaurant in Soho. Despite the fact that it is touted as organic and vegetarian friendly, they also serve meat and stuff. And everything I've ever had there has been divine.

Also located in Soho is the Mercer Kitchen (owned by Jean-Georges), which has a really cool vibe and yummy burgers! I've only been there for lunch, but it was definitely memorable.