The Scottish Pub (Off Topic) #34: Space is scary, Space Camp is not

banner by BehrItAll

Previous Thread
http://www.fanforum.com/f96/scottish...amin-62960029/

Last edited by firewall; 09-26-2010 at 12:39 AM
Old 09-26-2010, 12:38 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMouse (View Post)
Space Camp is one option or Nasa, most likely.
Would NASA let me try out an anti-gravity chamber, just for fun? I think not. Too bad Space Camp is really expensive.

Quote:
That's human nature, I think. To be scared and intrigued by something.
I guess so.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Nasa doesn't have tours?

I love this thread title. But I do wonder if anyone's ever had a panic attack at space camp cause of the cramped rooms.

Steph & I went to a talk with Michael Emerson, and he said if an actor plays a scene using different emotions/tones than are appropriate for the moment, that it makes the audience uncomfortable, confused & intrigued at the same time. He's right.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

TFTNT! I love the title

Quote:
Trust me, I am terrified of the very idea. I was scarred for life after watching the Challenger explode. We watched it live in our classroom because a big deal was made about Christa McAuliff, the teacher. I cried for weeks about that, and begged my little brother to promise he would never become an astronaut! And yet, I am obsessed with space and space travel. What scares me also intrigues me, I guess. Kind of like spiders.
I was a baby and remember it very vaguely. So sad.

Same with me. I like underwater Discovery shows and The Abyss, The Little Mermaid, but never swim underwater.

If Nasa has tours I bet there are many restricted rooms.

I have to upload my video of the Q&A of the panel with Michael Emerson.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
The Abyss, The Little Mermaid
Those are the best water movies.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:19 AM
Master Fan

I've been to Kennedy Space Centre! It was great fun! We got to see a shuttle on the launch pad but missed the actual launch because there was a hurricane! I loved the film Space Camp!

The tv show I was supposed to see was a British comedy called Not Going Out. We didn't get in though, they issue more tickets than there are seats in the studio and we got there too late! Ended up in a champagne bar with my sister though so all was not lost!

I'm off work sick today, started to feel ill on Saturday night before my high school reunion and have got progressively worse since then! I've got a fever, loss of appetite, headache, runny nose, etc!

My photoblog
Old 09-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh no Suzi! I hope you feel better soon. Having off from work is great but not due to sickness..
Old 09-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Master Fan

Thanks! The hubby is now sick, as is my mum and my nephew! Not good!

My photoblog
Old 09-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Elite Fan

Feel better, Suzi.

The one time I was at Kennedy Space Center there was a huge storm and we couldn't take the tour. It wasn't a hurricane, but it was still pretty bad. There was flooding so high that our car almost stalled and we were forced to turn around. I was bummed.

I love the movie Space Camp, too. I think that is why I always wanted to go. Although, getting sent to Space by accident, probably wouldn't be as much fun as they make it seem.

Quote:
Steph & I went to a talk with Michael Emerson, and he said if an actor plays a scene using different emotions/tones than are appropriate for the moment, that it makes the audience uncomfortable, confused & intrigued at the same time. He's right.
He does do that! That is probably why I have always found him to be very intriguing as an actor. Too bad I no longer want to think or speak of LOST ever again.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
The hubby is now sick, as is my mum and my nephew! Not good!
it's going around. Now someone needs to make you guys chicken soup. That helps sometimes.

Quote:
Too bad I no longer want to think or speak of LOST ever again.
the ending pissed you off?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMouse (View Post)
it's going around.
How is it that "its going around" seems to apply to everyone everywhere at once? There is a flu going around here, too. My boss has it right now.

Quote:
the ending pissed you off?
Understatement. Let's just say, if I could use the Island to go back in time, I'd tell myself never to start watching LOST in the first place.

I am melting right now. I should be in bed, but its so damn hot in my apartment. This was the hottest day in LA ever. Literally. Hottest day ever recorded since records first existed in the 1800s. And its nearly October. WTF?
Old 09-28-2010, 12:52 AM
Master Fan

I'm so glad I didn't invest any of my time watching Lost!

We managed to do the Kennedy tour as the hurricane didn't arrive until the next day! It was really good (the tour, not the hurricane ) apart from when my sunburnt feet seized up whilst at the top of a shuttle!

My photoblog
Old 09-28-2010, 07:11 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Some things about Lost made me roll my eyes. I don't think there's any show I've watched that I consider perfect. But overall, I feel Lost was creative enough to not make me regret watching it.

I love the heat, I'd take 113 over 45 any day.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Elite Fan

I prefer the heat to the cold, but 113 is too much even for me. And its dangerous to people's health!

I won't watch THE EVENT because it looks too much like LOST and I don't want any part in that kind of storytelling anytime soon. Maybe someday, but the wounds are too raw right now.

Sunburnt feet! Sounds painful, Suzi. When you say they seized up, does that mean you couldn't walk on them for a little while? Were you stuck at the top of the shuttle?! (PS- I'm jealous that you got to the top of the shuttle. Wish I had!)
Old 09-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I won't watch The Event cause too many networks are trying to find the next Lost and they are rarely good. Also, Roswell ruined alien stories for me.