Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Fan Forum Legend

It's good when a movie comes along that makes you react either by crying, jumping or yelling.

Saw Dorian Gray last night. I hate that it changed so many things around from the book, and took lines out. Oscar Wild was a dialog genius. Why leave so many good lines out? I didn't like how at the end of the movie, the audience was supposed to root for Lord Henry. Dude is evil. We're supposed to want him dead, not want him to succeed. One thing I like was that Dorian's downfall was shown and not glossed over, but still. Why mess with a perfectly good book? Why change the timeline of events?
2 out of 5 decaying paintings for me.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Master Fan

Okay, I will rent ET.

Quote:
and then I screamed/jumped cause she did and then I laughed.
Oh the group effect. That happens to me all the time.

Quote:
When they were on the bus locked in the back and the alien came. I was expecting it cause you know it will show up, but I didn't know WHEN.
The anticipation, "when is it going to happen!?", always makes the scare worse when it actually comes. It puts your nerves on edge.

Quote:
In hindsight it was hysterical
Especially since my niece didn't scream.

She and I both jumped at one point. Can't remember when though, tbh.

Quote:
I didn't like how at the end of the movie, the audience was supposed to root for Lord Henry.
YUCK!

Captain Ewevs: "You!? But we killed you!"
Boba Fett: "Yes, you killed me. And that made me very, very angry."
Old 07-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Elite Fan

I am so behind.

But let me try and catch up...

Everyone everywhere should watch ET. It is a classic for a reason!

I couldn't get into Weeds. I watched the first season and was done.

I LOVE Dexter. He is a fantastic character. And I do believe he would gladly take Casey Anthony off our hands if he were, in fact, real. I am one season behind, because I don't ahve Showtime. Still waiting for S5 to be available on Netflix or DVD. Grrr...
Old 07-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Okay, I will rent ET.
I mean this is the nicest way, but I'll be disappointed if it doesn't make you cry.

Quote:
YUCK!
Changing characters like that infuriates me. It's bad enough when original characters do a 180, but when characters taken from a book become completely different....what's the point?

[quote]
I LOVE Dexter. He is a fantastic character. And I do believe he would gladly take Casey Anthony off our hands if he were, in fact, real. I am one season behind, because I don't ahve Showtime. Still waiting for S5 to be available on Netflix or DVD. Grrr...[quote]

5 seasons...that is so many seasons to catch up on.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomsBullets (View Post)
Okay, I will rent ET.
YAY!
Quote:
Oh the group effect. That happens to me all the time.

Love the group effect. Like a bonding experience.
Quote:
The anticipation, "when is it going to happen!?", always makes the scare worse when it actually comes. It puts your nerves on edge.

Exactly!

Quote:
One thing I like was that Dorian's downfall was shown and not glossed over, but still. Why mess with a perfectly good book? Why change the timeline of events?
I agree there.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMouse (View Post)
5 seasons...that is so many seasons to catch up on.
They are cable seasons, which means there are only 12 episodes per season. That's not so bad at all. It's like watching less than 3 seasons of a network TV show.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Changing characters like that infuriates me. It's bad enough when original characters do a 180, but when characters taken from a book become completely different....what's the point?
Money?

I agree, it's silly to turn a book into a film and then change major things about said book.

I kind of want to see this film now, just so I can join the rant.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
there are only 12 episodes per season.
so that means only 48 episodes have aired so far? Ah, I can totally catch up on what's basically 2-3 seasons.

Quote:
Money?
Colin Firth should've put his foot down. I think it would've been far more interesting for him to play Book!Lord Henry rather than the one we got.

Quote:
I agree, it's silly to turn a book into a film and then change major things about said book.

They might as well call it something different than Dorian Gray b/c it's not really DG. The book is a classic for a reason. Fans of books don't want to see what they love changed. They want to see what they love on screen.

Definitely see it. You may like it more b/c you know all the changes that are made.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I totally encourage this.

I must say even though I was disappointed with the changes, this movie made me so attracted to Ben Barnes.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:06 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Ben Barnes is cute. He's one of the few guys who can pull off longish hair.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Master Fan

Okay, I will watch ET and Dorian Gray.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Fan Forum Legend

yay! yay! yay!

Are we making your Netflix list get out of hand?
Old 07-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Elite Fan

^Better make the most of it now that they're raising the price by 60%!!!!

Highway robbery, I tell ya.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Fan Forum Legend

The fact that they're raising the price is freaking ridiculous. I don't want to choose between streaming and dvds. I like both, but I'm poor and don't have $15 a month to spare. They need to reevaluate their crazy business plan
Old 07-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Elite Fan

The streaming thing was AWESOME when it didn't cost much more than the DVD by mail, but now its straight up not worth it. Their streaming selection, while good, is not the be-all end-all. You don't have access to everything. You are forced to get the dvds as well and if that is going to cost $15 rather than $10, well...

I wish I had never switched back to Netflix. I am so unhappy with them right now.