Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 03:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

You mean ramen noodles? Well, in English, ramen is said RAW-men or RAW-min (depending on one's accent), but Ramin is ruh-MEEN or raw-MEEN (again, depending on one's accent). Is that hard to say like drawer?
Old 10-13-2020, 05:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I spell it Ramin Noodles because his name is spelled Ramin.

Raw-men/min? I say it like raaa-men without the W. I won't bother changing my pronunciation now. People can f--- off if they expect me to change it.

Last edited by LilMouse; 10-13-2020 at 06:36 PM
Old 10-15-2020, 10:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well, there's no W sound in raw. I was just spelling the word raw. The A in Ramin is said with that short O sound in the word raw. Is that the sound you mean by raaa, or do you say it with a short A sound as in the word ran?

You are a female Benedict: https://www.facebook.com/47091151626...70284656325259
Old 10-16-2020, 01:58 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Is that the sound you mean by raaa,
yes

Why didn't the director yell cut and tell Benny he's not pronouncing "penguin" correctly? And how did he go 40+ years without correcting it? Poor guy had this paraded on international tv. Most people wouldn't know if Graham didn't highlight it.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
yes
Phew!

You and Steph should take this quick Dialect Quiz. I took it a few times because some of the questions switch, so I wanted to see if that changed my results, but no. Overall, I am a Southern California girl.

I was born in Hawthorne (which is in L.A. County) and raised there nearly the first decade of my life, so that pretty much set me up as an L.A. girl even though I lived in Riverside (literally two blocks from Corona) for 2.5 decades.

One of my classmates was born and raised in Riverside/Corona, and his was spot on to that area.

I have no idea what distinguishes a person from Corona to Anaheim to L.A., though. All sound the same to me. Now San Bernardino, that I can tell the difference. They be street talkin' in that city.

I'll let you take it and then post about the results from my etymology board, in particularly those from NY...
Old 10-17-2020, 12:58 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I took the quiz 2x and got this map both times

Old 10-17-2020, 06:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

See, that's exactly what I noticed. For all of those in the New England area, their results were pretty much all blue for the rest of the country except for their little part. Guess you guys are total outliers with your accent and totally stand out from everyone else.

Quote:
Well I’m definitely from Jersey haha

Is it jer-zee or joy-zee?

Definitely Jer-zee! Haha Joy-zee comes from New Yorkers

Quote:
Spot on with New York (pronounced “yawwk”)

Quote:
Pretty darn accurate!

I took it again to see what different questions I got, and this time I got Worcester instead of Rochester which is even closer. Rotary did it.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

One person had very red marks, so she'd blend in in many places:

Old 10-18-2020, 12:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Guess you guys are total outliers with your accent and totally stand out from everyone else.
People from California definitely knew my friends and I were from NY when we ordered coffee and water.

There's no escaping it.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Definitely Jer-zee! Haha Joy-zee comes from New Yorkers
I have never in my life heard anyone call it "Joy-zee." Sounds like something a person from another state who moved to NY would say to sound like they're from the area and fails miserably.

Yea, we NYers are distinct. Someone from the South speaks and you can't tell the difference between Kentucky & Alabama. But a NYer opens their mouth and you know right away where he/she comes from.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

I do notice Bill Maher's accent at times, especially when he tried to say your favorite word, drawer.

The cast of Hamilton is having a livestream today: #YourVoteIsPower: Power in Action Series

Quote:
This Sunday, we'll be joined by members of the cast of the hit musical "Hamilton" and special guests to hear how you can help your friends and family make a plan to vote.

Each livestream will begin on Sunday night at 8 p.m. ET (7 CT/6 MT/5 PT) and will be viewed on a special webpage just for this series. After you register, you'll receive a special link and a reminder email to make sure you're able to participate.
Did you see this latest clip of them redoing one of their songs to go over the history of voting in the U.S.? You can totally see Jonathan in the mix with his crown.

Quote:
Join the original cast of Hamilton including Lin-Manuel Miranda, Leslie Odom, Jr., Daveed Diggs, Renee Elise Goldsberry, Jonathon Groff, Phillipa Soo, Jasmine Cephas Jones, and more for a performance of the song “The Room Where it Happens”. Voting is your opportunity to be in the room where it happens. Don't throw away your shot: iwillvote.com
Old 10-18-2020, 05:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

How long did they practice to be in sync over a zoom? Or if it was filmed individually, that sounds harder to sync up.

Quote:
I have never in my life heard anyone call it "Joy-zee." Sounds like something a person from another state who moved to NY would say to sound like they're from the area and fails miserably.
ITA! I say Jer-zee.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

They're pros.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I do notice Bill Maher's accent at times, especially when he tried to say your favorite word, drawer.
Imagine how confused you would've been if you came to NY without previously discovering that we say it like "draw"

Cool video. I like Jonathan getting himself a crown.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

He didn’t try to say the word He did say it
Closed Thread   Post New Thread