Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 08:16 AM
Fan Forum Legend

The only time I can remember JRM being an American is when he played Elvis. I can't think of any other role where he had to use an American accent.
Usually foreigners are good at playing American. Except Sam Worthington or the chick who plays Hayley on TVD. They need work.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:39 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMouse (View Post)
How dare Hollywood make him hide his Irish accent. Irish accents should never be hidden.
I totally agree! I love Irish accents and JRM's southern accent is gorgeous. I'm glad he got to use his natural Cork accent in Bend It Like Beckham, amongst others.

Quote:
The only time I can remember JRM being an American is when he played Elvis. I can't think of any other role where he had to use an American accent.
Usually foreigners are good at playing American. Except Sam Worthington or the chick who plays Hayley on TVD. They need work.
I need to check out those actor's accents online then!

Julie's Art Thread
Julie icon by me
Old 04-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I totally agree! I love Irish accents and JRM's southern accent is gorgeous. I'm glad he got to use his natural Cork accent in Bend It Like Beckham, amongst others.
I really want JRM and Cillian to be in a movie together where they can use their real accents since they come from the same town.

It will be interesting if you can tell their American accents are terrible since you're not American. Because if you can tell they need work, then you know it's bad.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Except Sam Worthington or the chick who plays Hayley on TVD. They need work.
Ugh. I like Pheobe Tonkin, but her accent is TERRIBLE.

The worst of all is the Irish dude from Bridesmaids. I honestly didn't even know he was supposed to be playing an American because his accent is so effing ridiculous. It makes me rage.

Quote:
It will be interesting if you can tell their American accents are terrible since you're not American. Because if you can tell they need work, then you know it's bad.
My good friend is a Brit. We had this discussion and she said she didn't notice the bad accents.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Ugh. I like Pheobe Tonkin, but her accent is TERRIBLE.
I get irrationally angry any time she speaks. Why can't they let her be Australian?

Quote:
The worst of all is the Irish dude from Bridesmaids. I honestly didn't even know he was supposed to be playing an American because his accent is so effing ridiculous. It makes me rage.
Wait...he was trying to be American in Bridesmaids? I was convinced he was being Irish in that film.

Quote:
My good friend is a Brit. We had this discussion and she said she didn't notice the bad accents.
It's like how we can't tell when fake English accents sound too posh.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I get irrationally angry any time she speaks. Why can't they let her be Australian?
I agree. It wouldn't change the story. (Well, her roots are in the south, but whatever... she's not fooling anyone).

Quote:
Wait...he was trying to be American in Bridesmaids? I was convinced he was being Irish in that film.
IKR?! I think he was on Graham Norton with Ewan and he was talking about his "American accent." I was like, please be joking. He was on GIRLS as well and again, I swore he was playing Irish...until his parents arrived and were completely American.

Quote:
I can tell sometimes. Not always. David Anders and James Marsters do incredibly convincing accents (and my Brit friend agreed on both counts).
Old 05-02-2013, 06:48 AM
Elite Fan

sorry, dp

Julie's Art Thread
Julie icon by me
Old 05-02-2013, 06:50 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:

Yes, I always notice that! I rarely even hear anyone here talk like that! I understand how hard it can be for anyone to do different accents, wherever their from, and concentrate on their acting performance too. I do sometimes hear great UK accents from Americans, and I wonder if they might be British. BTW, we have so many different accents in the UK, that some people might not be aware of. Newcastle, Liverpool, Birmingham, Devon and Manchester for example, are all very different!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewall (View Post)

I can tell sometimes. Not always. David Anders and James Marsters do incredibly convincing accents (and my Brit friend agreed on both counts).
I'm not aware of David Anders, but I was impressed with James Marsters in Torchwood, when he had a UK accent. It sounded so natural.

Julie's Art Thread
Julie icon by me
Old 05-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
agree. It wouldn't change the story. (Well, her roots are in the south, but whatever... she's not fooling anyone).
They should have said werewolves come from Australia. Problem solved.

Quote:
IKR?! I think he was on Graham Norton with Ewan and he was talking about his "American accent." I was like, please be joking. He was on GIRLS as well and again, I swore he was playing Irish...until his parents arrived and were completely American.
I just can't imagine American co-workers listening to him attempt the accent and not inwardly cringe or say something like "Dude, just forget it. Be Irish."

I was SO disappointed when I found out David Anders was not English
I still love him, though.

James is Spike, right? So many people have said he's great at it.

Quote:
I do sometimes hear great UK accents from Americans, and I wonder if they might be British. BTW, we have so many different accents in the UK, that some people might not be aware of. Newcastle, Liverpool, Birmingham, Devon and Manchester for example, are all very different!
Yea, I totally get it's tough to act and keep up the accent. I give props to anyone who attempts it. But people who always attempt it and still suck...just stop.
What Americans do convincing accents?
Imagine being a voice coach and having to pinpoint all the different UK accents?
Old 05-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybunny (View Post)
BTW, we have so many different accents in the UK, that some people might not be aware of. Newcastle, Liverpool, Birmingham, Devon and Manchester for example, are all very different!
I know a little about the different accents. Manchester is like the Gallagher brothers, right? Those can be hard to understand sometimes.

Quote:
I'm not aware of David Anders,
You should check out ALIAS. I think you'd like David, aka Mr. Sark.

Quote:
I just can't imagine American co-workers listening to him attempt the accent and not inwardly cringe or say something like "Dude, just forget it. Be Irish."
Or, be a mute. That would work, too.

Quote:
I was SO disappointed when I found out David Anders was not English
I still love him, though.
I wasn't disappointed, just surprised!

Quote:
James is Spike, right? So many people have said he's great at it.
Correct.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:51 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Yea, I totally get it's tough to act and keep up the accent. I give props to anyone who attempts it. But people who always attempt it and still suck...just stop.
What Americans do convincing accents?
Imagine being a voice coach and having to pinpoint all the different UK accents?
I totally agree! It's so cringeworthy to listen to!
Regarding Americans who do convincing accents, I did think of some but I'm afraid I forgot. My short-term memory is affected even more with my antidepressants, and my brain is fuzzy. I will find some and write them down though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewall (View Post)
I know a little about the different accents. Manchester is like the Gallagher brothers, right? Those can be hard to understand sometimes.

Yes, that's right. I think part of it may be that whenever I hear a UK accent in an American film, they're almost always either posh or Cockney! Many people are probably not used to hearing other regional accents, so I can certainly see why they can be difficult to understand.

Julie's Art Thread
Julie icon by me
Old 05-03-2013, 07:40 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
You should check out ALIAS. I think you'd like David, aka Mr. Sark.
I second this. Mr. Sark is one of my favorites

Quote:
Or, be a mute. That would work, too.
Oooooh snap.

Quote:
I wasn't disappointed, just surprised!
but everything is better with an accent

Quote:
Regarding Americans who do convincing accents, I did think of some but I'm afraid I forgot. My short-term memory is affected even more with my antidepressants, and my brain is fuzzy. I will find some and write them down though!
No problem

I keep thinking about Dick Van Dyke's English accent.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybunny (View Post)
My short-term memory is affected even more with my antidepressants, and my brain is fuzzy.
Well... my short term memory is crap and I have no such excuse.

Quote:
I keep thinking about Dick Van Dyke's English accent.
Cockney!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I love Chitty Chitty Bang Bang more than Mary Poppins. And um, Curt bang banged a lot of people. See, on topic.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:14 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I love Chitty Chitty Bang Bang more than Mary Poppins.
Never saw it.

Quote:
And um, Curt bang banged a lot of people. See, on topic.
That he did. Good save.

And, I mean, I can totally see why. Look. At. Him.