Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Ori/Adam Brown Appreciation #1:

Ori is one of the twelve companions of Thorin and Bilbo on the Quest of Erebor, and brother to Dori and Nori.

Adam Brown (born 29 May 1980) is an English actor, comedian and pantomime performer. His resume can be found here.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
THE HOBBIT STAR ADAM BROWN'S UNEXPECTED JOURNEY
Sunday December 2,2012
By Henry Fitzherbert

THIS TIME two years ago Adam Brown was playing King Frog in Christmas panto Sleeping Beauty at the Newbury Corn Exchange, his fourth Christmas show on the trot. This year he is starring in a £300million global blockbuster, hanging out with new best friends Sir Ian McKellen and Martin Freeman and treading the red carpet.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, is a film that could not be more apt for the chirpy, unassuming performer from Hungerford who, blinking and disbelieving, has been dropped into the biggest movie franchise of modern times.

“It’s like I have been thrown into a completely different world, it is surreal!” says Adam, 32, over a cup of coffee in a London hotel, a day before flying out to New Zealand for the film’s world premiere this week.

As one half of stage double act Plested and Brown (Clare Plested is his best friend and cohort from Middlesex University) he had never acted in a TV drama let alone a movie before landing the role of Ori the dwarf in director Peter Jackson’s eagerly awaited trilogy.
In fact, his only on-screen credit in his entire career thus far was a walk-on part in CBBC series Chucklevision. When his agent called telling him he had an audition for The Hobbit he assumed it was for a stage production.

“I was in the middle of rehearsing for the Edinburgh Festival, which I had performed at for 10 years, and I told my agent: ‘I can’t audition, I’m touring’. Then he explained it was for the Hobbit movie.”

Not only that, it was for the lead role of Bilbo Baggins. This was at the time when Martin Freeman was thought to be unable to play the role because of his commitments shooting the BBC’s Sherlock and the filmmakers were, says Adam, “casting their net wide, very wide”.
At his audition, the exuberant Adam so impressed the casting agents (“I had fun”) that he was told afterwards he was in the running to play a dwarf. “I did not really know what a dwarf was because I could not remember the book,” says Adam who took the good news in his stride.

In fact, that same week he had auditioned for a role in BBC sitcom Miranda and, as an avowed sitcom buff, he was rather more excited about that. “My heart has always been in BBC sitcoms, I am really old school,” he laughs, citing Victoria Wood and Ronnie Barker as particular favourites.

Miranda snubbed him but Peter Jackson came calling. Two months later as he was driving along London’s North Circular Road in pouring rain, having just attended the press launch for Sleeping Beauty, his agent called and told him he had landed the plum role of Ori, youngest of the 13 dwarves who accompany Baggins on his adventure.

“I was told that I would be flying out to New Zealand 10 days after the panto finished, it was complete madness,” recalls Adam, who grew up in Hungerford, the son of a washing machine repair man.

So last January Adam found himself flying out for the 18-month shoot (all three Hobbit movies were being shot back-to-back). “One minute I was screaming ‘this is amazing, I can’t believe it’, the next I was crying ‘It’s too much, I can’t cope’,” says Adam, who was convinced they had “got the wrong person”. It was only when he met Jackson and his collaborators for the first time, at a welcome barbecue in Jackson’s Wellington home, that Adam started to relax.

“I was bricking it but everyone was so friendly, it was like a big family.”

The family atmosphere extended to the cast’s living arrangements, with everyone put up in a house along the peninsula of Wellington; an area owned pretty much wholesale by Jackson who has transformed New Zealand single-handedly into a movie-making mecca.

“It was like Wisteria Lane in Desperate Housewives,” says Adam, who had James Nesbitt for a neighbour on one side and Orlando Bloom on the other.

The latter, reprising his role as Legolas from the Lord Of The Rings trilogy, arrived part way through the shoot and met Adam as he was hanging up his washing in the garden.
“I was pegging out my washing and he said: ‘Hello mate, you not at work today?’ I was in a world of my own and screamed when I saw him and dropped all the pegs.”

Adam was often a dinner guest of Nesbitt, a fellow dwarf who had his family out with him, but it was Martin Freeman with whom he became closest.

We became really good friends and I have seen him a lot in London,” says Adam. “We both moaned there was nowhere to go shopping in Wellington and we both like our music.” Sir Ian McKellen, too, became a good pal, and when an in absentia Adam was asked to record a voiceover for last year’s Christmas panto in Newbury the legendary Shakespearean actor joined in.

“I was recording it on my iPad on location and Ian was dressed as Gandalf and asked to take part. I wrote a little speech for him and sent it off to the theatre. They were over the moon.”
If the engaging Brown is now at ease with his glamorous new life his parents are still coming to terms with it.

“They came out to New Zealand last Christmas and we were invited to the Jacksons’ house for drinks on Christmas Eve,” says Adam. “My dad is a big Lord Of The Rings fan and he was almost bowing to Peter Jackson.”

However, his mother, a receptionist, was less starry-eyed. “I think she would be far more excited if I was in EastEnders” chuckles Adam.

Indeed, when Adam suggested booking tickets for the family to see The Hobbit on its opening night on December 13, his mother had other ideas.

“She said: ‘They are turning on the Christmas lights in Hungerford on December 13th. Shall we do the 14th?”

Adam laughs infectiously. No, there is no danger of this particular dwarf getting any ideas above his station.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will be at cinemas from December 13
Source
Old 12-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Wow! What a change for him!

Thanks for the new one!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Empire Online are publishing an interview with each of the Dwarves each day up until the premiere on December 13:

Quote:
The Hobbit Interviews: Adam Brown On Ori
‘He’s baby of the group...'

Berkshire born, Adam Brown's Hobbit journey has taken him from one shire to another. "I was doing panto in Newbury when I got the phone call," he tells Empire of his casting as Ori, the youngling of the dwarves' company. "This whole thing has just really flipped my world upside down." A mere 17 in dwarf years and packing only a slingshot, his character will be leaning on older brothers Nori and Dori for support during the adventure ahead. After all, wargs, go

Tell us about Ori...
Ori is the youngest, so he’s kind of the baby and his brothers are Dori and Nori. He looks up to Nori a lot, and Nori’s a bit of a rebel, while Dori’s the “stay at home and look after yourself” one. The concept is that Dori’s come to bring me back home, but we end up going on this adventure with Bilbo. What Philippa (Boyens) and Fran (Walsh) were saying, “We’d like him to be a fish out of water.” He really shouldn’t be on this journey. I loved the fact that all the guys have got huge weapons and I’ve got a little, tiny slingshot.

If you’re a baby dwarf, how old does that make you?
In dwarf years, about 17. Fili and Kili would be about 25. Underneath his jacket, I’ve got a little knitted cardigan and knitted mittens and a tiny pocketknife. As a first movie, The Hobbit is not a bad place to start.

How did it come about?
I’ve got a theater company back in London, and I’ve been touring with that for about ten years and writing my own stuff. I just got a phone call from my agent saying “A-ha, I’ve got an audition for you,” and I was going, “Really? Do I have to?” because I was in the middle of a production. Then he said, “It’s for The Hobbit!” And I went, “Please, not another touring show…” And he’s getting really infuriated, “You’re not going round schools, it’s The Hobbit, GO for the audition”. I actually read for Martin’s ( Freeman) role – this was when Martin was not going to be able to do it because of his Sherlock contract – and it went really well, but I didn’t really think it would happen. When I got the phone call I was doing panto in Newbury...

You were doing panto?
In Newbury... And I got a phone call saying, “You’ve got The Hobbit,” and I just couldn’t believe it. This whole thing has just really flipped my world upside down. It was just really odd to be in a room with Ian McKellen sharing cucumber sandwiches.

Do you think small?
Even for a dwarf, I am small!
Source
Old 12-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
It was just really odd to be in a room with Ian McKellen sharing cucumber sandwiches.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
The Hobbit: Adam Brown On Dwarf Life In Peter Jackson's Prequel, And Sweating It Out With Martin Freeman
The Huffington Post UK | By Caroline Frost
Posted: 10/12/2012 15:51 GMT

"Martin Freeman used to sit and complain, 'I'm so hot. Can someone cool me down?' and all he had going on were his rubber feet. What about us with our boots, and our bellies?"

If Adam Brown has a gripe about filming 'The Hobbit' in the sweltering summer of New Zealand, that's his only one. For the rest of it, the British actor waxes lyrical about his time participating as a dwarf in Peter Jackson's prequel to the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy.

"There was a pinch-me moment every day. Great actors, my first helicopter ride ... Martin Freeman warned me, 'Don't get used to this it isn't normal.' I could have turned into a monster."

"Peter Jackson is lovely. You've got it in your head that he's Peter Jackson, and then he'd shout at us, calling us 'my little b**tards'. And off we'd go."

Adam Brown is one of the many Brits who's spent the best part of the last two years running, sweating, climbing, fighting and falling in the paradisical environs of Jackson's 'Middle Earth' Down Under, as one of the 13 dwarves intent on reclaiming their kingdom in the Lost Mountain, with the help of hobbit Bilbo Baggins.

"Scene 88 was the absolute worst," reports Brown, who previously ran his own theatre company in the UK for a decade before the call that changed his life.

"It was literally weeks of running, with big boots on, even a small belly. Scene 88 is the reason for the whole of the third film... it was just weeks and weeks of running."

Adam Brown and the other 13 'dwarves' had to attend Dwarf Boot Camp before shooting began on the epic films

To say 'from Chucklevision to Middle Earth', doesn't really tell the whole story of Adam Brown's illustrious career ("I did only spend a couple of days on the former," he points out mildly). Nonetheless, it's been a dramatic leap to the big time for the actor - so how does an invitation to be a big-budget dwarf actually happen?

"I auditioned first for Bilbo," explains Brown. "It was before Peter Jackson was directing, and Martin Freeman was busy. Then everything went quiet for a couple of months, I just forgot about it.

"I was driving in my car on London's North Circular road (which locals will know isn't the most glamorous spot for a life-changing experience), and I suddenly got a phone call - 'You're off to New Zealand.'"

Brown, a longtime fan of the Lord of the Rings - "the films, not the books" - spent 18 months in total out in New Zealand, going to Dwarf Boot Camp, before transforming himself into Ori, one of Bilbo's miniature companions.

And now he's back, enjoying the calm before the storm of the worldwide junkets, the red carpets, but also the chance to catch up with his Hobbit friends...

"It sounds like such a sound bite, but it's true. We became one big family on the other side of the world, and I feel like I've met great people who will be friends for life. And I've had a lovely roast dinner with Ian McKellen, which isn't something I thought I'd be saying."

So what's next?

"I don't know. I'm a complete unknown," Brown makes the point which, though true for now, might be about to change.

'The Hobbit' is in UK cinemas from Thursday 13 December.
Source
Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Seems it's been life changing for a lot of them.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

Aww, he's the baby of the group!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Fan Forum Legend

He'll be cute!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:40 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by miranstarr (View Post)
Aww, he's the baby of the group!
He is! While we didn't see much of him in the first movie, he sure did leave a good impression with me
Old 12-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh that's great to hear
Old 01-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Add me please!
Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Welcome to the thread

Awww, I loved little Ori!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:45 AM
Addicted Fan