Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2017, 12:00 PM
Moderator Manager

The Defenders Episode Discussion {1x05} - Take Shelter

Episode Five - "Take Shelter"

[previous episode] | [next episode]

Basic Reminders:
▸ Be respectful of other posters.
▸ Discussions are encouraged, but let's keep things civil.
▸ No character/actor bashing, including producers, writers, directors, etc.
▸ Any talk of illegal downloading should not be brought up here.
▸ Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Last edited by Si_Crazy; 08-19-2017 at 03:23 PM
Old 08-19-2017, 11:24 PM
Moderator Manager

I thought this episode was good.

I love the Defenders fighting against the Hand. Alexandra arrived in that restaurant rather quickly and screamed when Matt decided to fight Elektra instead. THAT SCENE IN THE PARKING LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was also nice to see the rest of the secondary characters in this episode as the 4 leads realized that The Hand will target their loved ones next. Matt gets Karen & Foggy, Jessica gets Trish ( ) & Malcolm, Luke gets Claire & Danny gets Colleen. They're all together at the police station with Misty Knight and my brain just exploded.

I think this is the ep where we find out the 5 leaders of The Hand so it looks like both Gao & Alexandra share the same power as Bakuto. The other 2 members are new, I don't think we've met them on the other shows.

It was also nice to see Daredevil fighting it out with Jessica. This is the scene where Jessica rescued Trish and I thought for a while Trish will turn Hellcat. Damn.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:31 AM
Moderator Manager

Now this was an action packed episode And I LOVED it!!

The start with the fighting already happening in the restaurant was so cool!
I gotta say, I love Madam Gao That old lady is tough, and clever.
I was hoping that they would work together to get out of the fight, but that would be too easy.... and since Matt only stepped away because he wanted to talk to Elektra made it okay for me Their fight scenes are always so good to watch And in the parking lot it seemed like there was a bit of recognition in her part

I was worried that the Hand actually had taken Luke, so when he showed up having captured that White Hat guy was so exciting!

And Colleen had a fighting scene I always love her with her katana. Interesting to see Bakuto back and that the first person he really went after was Colleen. Too bad he injured her But their dialogue there was really good, which was a great way to show that she really is feeling lost, specially with her breakdown at the station And then to have Claire being there for her, like a true friend I LOVE that friendship!!!!

They gathering everybody they care about to protect them was perfect to get all the supporting characters together, specially with Misty in the station because I don't see her hiding out somewhere And we had Misty and Colleen sharing a scene
I love seeing the worlds collide, so it was surreal seeing them all in the same room I do wonder why Danny didn't arrange for protection for Joy.
Matt and Karen's dynamic, I missed that because I was so curious about how she would react at finding out his secret, so I like that it's not over the top and she didn't act like a brat whining about it, but she stills makes it clear she didn't want him to do that, and it's understandable that it's frustrating to her now knowing exactly what he's feeling.
Foggy really is more mature now, and I like that even though he wants Matt out of the vigilante business he's a lot more understanding now

On seeing DD fighting alongside JJ I've been wanting to see that since The Defenders was announced

Danny and Luke being all impressive with DD's cool toy was funny!

Finally the cards are on the table, and Matt had to come clean about Elektra. I'm glad that secret didn't last long.
And Elektra in Matt's place
Old 08-23-2017, 02:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I felt so bad for Matt during that parking lot scene
Old 08-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Moderator Manager

He really loves Elektra
Old 08-23-2017, 02:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I know! It was so obvious
Old 08-24-2017, 01:53 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si_Crazy (View Post)
The start with the fighting already happening in the restaurant was so cool!
I gotta say, I love Madam Gao That old lady is tough, and clever.
I kinda don't want her to die because she's been around since DD S1.

Quote:
And Colleen had a fighting scene I always love her with her katana. Interesting to see Bakuto back and that the first person he really went after was Colleen. Too bad he injured her But their dialogue there was really good, which was a great way to show that she really is feeling lost, specially with her breakdown at the station And then to have Claire being there for her, like a true friend I LOVE that friendship!!!!
I hated seeing Bakuto back again but yeah, their fight scene was amazing. I'm biased though because I loved Colleen's fights even on IF.

Quote:
I do wonder why Danny didn't arrange for protection for Joy.
Oh yeah, she wasn't mentioned to be out of the country or with Ward.

Quote:
Finally the cards are on the table, and Matt had to come clean about Elektra. I'm glad that secret didn't last long.
And Elektra in Matt's place
At one point he does have to tell them. I guess he didn't want them to know it was personal for him.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Moderator Manager

^ Yeah, she has been a very consistent villain.. and I like how she passes the vibe of helpless old lady when in fact she might be the most dangerous one of the Hand.

Count me as biased too.. Colleen is my favorite character in IF And her fighting scenes are so cool!!
I didn't hate to see Bakuto back, but he really had an obsession of sorts for Colleen I think he came back to give more emphasis on Colleen SL, to show how lost she is, and to tie her in the action, because now she has a personal reason to go to the fight

It would've been nice just to have a mention that Joy was fine away somewhere else.

Yeah, it felt like Matt wanted to know more before spreading the news... maybe as a way to make sure that there would be an alternative to save Elektra
Old 08-26-2017, 12:37 AM
Moderator Manager

Plus I don't like seeing old ladies die on-screen. Like Lady Olenna.

And at least it was Colleen who killed Bakuto this time around. Damn when she sliced off his head, I was clapping.

And that too. He wanted to know first if he can save Elektra herself before telling the others. Oh Matt, always putting himself out there for Elektra.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:18 PM
Moderator Manager

^ Right?!?! I have all the respect for badass old ladies!!! Olenna

Me too!! And the fact that she didn't even hesitated showed that she was completely over whatever it was that connected the two of them. He totally had it coming!!

Things people do for love!! But yeah, we could see how much he cared for Elektra, and he doesn't know the others very well so he couldn't have known how they would react to the news. I like that he was careful with the information