Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Mid-Season TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2020, 12:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Episode Discussion] 5x10 - "The Bottle Episode" Jan 19th 2020

Season 5, Episode 10
"The Bottle Episode"
Episode Discussion
original air date, Sunday Jan 19th 2020

Quote:
The subsequent complications from the Crisis leave Supergirl to face a chaotic threat.
Basic Rules:
○ Be Respectful of other posters.
○ Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.
○ No Character/Actor Bashing.
○ Everything is a spoiler until it has aired.
○ Any talk of Illegal Downloading should not be brought up here. Live Streams & such can be discussed through PM's.
○ Most importantly, HAVE FUN!
karamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:16 PM
Total Fan

- When Lex said “you don’t need a robot” to Lena, does that mean Hope is gone?

- “Are you a Durlan”? A nod to Chameleon Boy from the Legion?

- How many times are we going to have to go through this same exact conversation between Lena and Kara?

Kara: Lena, I'm so sorry--
Lena: Shut up! You lied to me… waaah waaah waaah

Get over it, Lena. This is so tiring.

- Nice shout out to the “Anti-life equation”

- I really liked the multi-Brainys. That was some great stuff from Jesse Rath.

I kind of figured that the inhibitors on his forehead are why Prime!Brainy is dumber than a 12th Level Intellect should be (and yes, Brainy being portrayed as “dumb” on this show is something us Brainy fans have been complaining about for two seasons now).

“Love is not supposed to minimize you” – THANK you, Director!Brainiac-5.

- We got a bit of Brainy’s backstory! And his Mom was very much a Brainiac, bottling planets and whatnot. I was kind of hoping his mom was more like Comic-book!Brainiac 4 (a sociopath who committed mass murder and had to be taken down by the Legion), but this is fine too.

- at the NSYNC music during the bar fight!

- Okay… this is where I fangirl over Final-form!Brainy **takes a deep breath**

GREEN BRAINY!! BLONDE BRAINY!! SMART BRAINY!! PRETTY BRAINY!! ASS-KICKING BRAINY!! And most importantly – COMICS ACCURATE BRAINY!!!. I LOVE THIS BRAINY SO MUCH!!

*ahem* Okay. I think I’m good now…

Anyway. This was my favourite episode of the season. Of the last two seasons maybe.
- Supergirl
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:23 PM
New Fan

I really enjoyed the episode, although my internet is throttled so I was only able to watch it in low resolution so it was a bit harder to see. The fight scenes were rather blurry & I had a hard time seeing what was happening. I'm amazed that I was able to even load the episode at all (although it buffered for long periods of time in between).

I liked the different personalities of the Brainys and wish the surviving ones could have stayed. The upbeat Brainy was amusing. I hope that maybe we can still see them again-- even if it's only in Brainy's mind palace.

Not sure how the personality inhibitors changed Brainy's hair & skin color but I could hand-wave it as a weird side effect. The inhibitors changing his costume required even more suspension of disbelief but I'm going to pretend it had to do with the magic the witches were throwing around.

I'm starting to suspect that because they are sociopaths, Lex and his mother are somehow able to lie even while having truth-seekers on their arms. I found it a bit odd that Lex said "What the hell is Leviathan?" after he'd previously said something about needing to protect the world from it. Not sure if that was a writing error or if he was pretending to not know.

I wonder if Brainy's parents are still alive. I think it's still possible that his mother could be a sociopath & that she later went on to kill people and have to be taken down by the Legion. I was going to say that the new info contradicts previous backstory of him having been going down a dark path when he was arrested but I had to remind myself they rebooted the universes so that might not be canon anymore-- unless he was just working for his mother to seek her approval or out of fear of being harmed or something.

I'm confused about why there are no longer any other multiverses when we saw that there were other worlds at the end of Crisis. Maybe Brainy meant that those particular worlds didn't exist anymore and there were more worlds that were merged? I wonder if Harry Wells and Jesse Quick are still gone.

Lena working with Lex didn't surprise me, but I think she will probably turn on him at some point. Speaking of Lex again, I really enjoy John Cryer as Lex. He's a likable villain despite the harm he causes. He's got a certain charisma that makes it seem more believable for people to fall for his schemes.

I think my biggest complaint was the whole "I have to do this alone" and the "You have to do this alone" thing and how female Brainy said that he has to distance himself from his friends and loved ones. That doesn't quite make sense. Her world was still different from his so things wouldn't necessarily happen the same way in this one as they did in hers.

Why not bring in Kara & the others about how they need to work with Lex to take down Leviathan? The whole pushing others away thing is one of my pet peeves. I wish he had at least given *some* explanation to Nia instead of just saying he couldn't be with her.

I was also confused about Lex saying something about needing perspective from someone from the future and then showing a picture of Winn. Does he know Brainy is from the future or does he think Winn is from the future?

I do like that they gave Brainy eyebrows, green skin, and blonde hair though. I also really like the purple costume. The witches calling him "the suave one" was funny.

Overall, I think this is one of my favorite episodes despite some of plot quibbles.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I like that Kara got to give Brainy a pep talk. I missed J'onn in this episode though.

Also forgot that I'm wondering what happens with planets that are bottled, how bottling them doesn't disrupt the planets and stars around them bc their gravitational pull is no longer there. How they can be released and not suck whoever released them in to the gravitational pull & crush them, and whether or not they continue to have time pass while in the bottle or if they are frozen in stasis.
zannej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:33 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra (View Post)
- How many times are we going to have to go through this same exact conversation between Lena and Kara?

Kara: Lena, I'm so sorry--
Lena: Shut up! You lied to me… waaah waaah waaah
This is only episode 10. We still have another 10 more to go. I hope Lex doesn't end up manipulating Brainy. I hate that the show made him break up with Nia so he can do this.
obisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:42 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by obisgirl (View Post)
This is only episode 10. We still have another 10 more to go.
I don't want 10 more episodes of Lena continuing to whine about Kara not telling her that she's Supergirl...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obisgirl (View Post)
I hope Lex doesn't end up manipulating Brainy. I hate that the show made him break up with Nia so he can do this.
If they're making Brainy more comics accurate, then he should be ten steps ahead of everyone - including Lex. Whether the show sticks to that or not remains to be seen.

In all honesty, I'm a bit biased when it comes to Brainy and Nia because I prefer the comic book canon relationship between Brainy and Kara -- but keeping with what we've been given on the show: at this point, he's a new Brainy. Nia doesn't really know him anymore. Brainy doesn't even know himself without the inhibitors. Their relationship can't just continue on as usual, regardless of his reasons for breaking up with her.
- Supergirl
Old 01-22-2020, 08:56 AM
New Fan

Quote:
I don't want 10 more episodes of Lena continuing to whine about Kara not telling her that she's Supergirl...

If they're making Brainy more comics accurate, then he should be ten steps ahead of everyone - including Lex. Whether the show sticks to that or not remains to be seen.

In all honesty, I'm a bit biased when it comes to Brainy and Nia because I prefer the comic book canon relationship between Brainy and Kara -- but keeping with what we've been given on the show: at this point, he's a new Brainy. Nia doesn't really know him anymore. Brainy doesn't even know himself without the inhibitors. Their relationship can't just continue on as usual, regardless of his reasons for breaking up with her.
All very good points. I love Lena and Katie McGrath, but I really don't like this self-pity thing. It gets old after awhile.

I also hope that Brainy is 10 steps ahead of Lex, although I'll settle for him being at least 1 step ahead of Lex.

I find it interesting that Lex didn't even question that Brainy offered to help him- of course, he's probably suspicious and thinking Brainy may try to double-cross him or that he's trying to find info to report back to Supergirl or something. It's also possible that Lex realizes it's a genuine offer because they have a mutual enemy. I do hope he doesn't know about the inhibitors and that he will underestimate Brainy because he's used to seeing dumbed down Brainy.

I'm also hoping we get some scenes with Lena and Brainy where she's not whining about being lied to- although, I never actually saw Brainy lie to her (maybe it was off-camera?) so much as he didn't tell her. But to Lena a lie of omission may still be a lie (paraphrased from ST:TNG episode 'The First Duty'). I think it would be funny if she started her BS and he just shut her down with logic.

I wonder if Lex will re-assign Brainy somewhere else and how long it will take Kara & the others to notice that Brainy is talking to Lex (unless he does more communications via hologram or phone where they don't actually see him talking to Lex).

I forgot to comment on the Leviathan chick's angle (I can't remember her name). The whole virtual world thing is starting to remind me of Caprica.

One of my buggaboos about the writing for Leviathan: They want to stop humans from destroying the world but the means they use actually does more destruction to the world and kills off animals/plants faster than the humans were doing it. So, how exactly are they saving the Earth from humans if they are doing more damage (like with volcanoes that increase carbon footprint exponentially, cause fires, and death/destruction) than the humans?

I'm glad that Jesse is getting to use a more normal voice for Brainy now, but it will be interesting to see how his personality develops.

I also noticed that for the first time Nia said "I love you" to Brainy (at least on camera).

I'm still hoping to see more of the two Brainiacs who put themselves in the "Big Brain". Soccer Mom Brainy was entertaining.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:57 AM
Total Fan

Gamemnae is the Leviathan lady's name, I believe (Gemma is her 'fake' name, which is easier to type, so I'm just going to use that instead going forward ).

It sounds like she either wants to create The Matrix, or San Junipero (Black Mirror reference ).

Considering Brainy is a technopath who can now unlock his full potential, he might be the only one who can actually stop Gemma/Leviathan's tech from taking over the world.
- Supergirl
Old 01-24-2020, 11:20 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Gamemnae is the Leviathan lady's name, I believe (Gemma is her 'fake' name, which is easier to type, so I'm just going to use that instead going forward ).

It sounds like she either wants to create The Matrix, or San Junipero (Black Mirror reference ).

Considering Brainy is a technopath who can now unlock his full potential, he might be the only one who can actually stop Gemma/Leviathan's tech from taking over the world.
Thanks!
I didn't see Black Mirror. Never even heard of it, but I don't keep up-to-date on a lot of stuff.
I hope you're right about Brainy being the one to stop Gemma (and not having them throw that to Winn or Lena).
After Leviathan is taken down, Brainy can try to reconnect with his friends but I don't know if Nia will take him back so easily. It would be a real kick in the pants for him if she ends up falling for Winn (this is assuming that Winn sticks around for more than one episode).
Old 01-24-2020, 04:43 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannej (View Post)
Thanks!
I didn't see Black Mirror. Never even heard of it, but I don't keep up-to-date on a lot of stuff.
I hope you're right about Brainy being the one to stop Gemma (and not having them throw that to Winn or Lena).
After Leviathan is taken down, Brainy can try to reconnect with his friends but I don't know if Nia will take him back so easily. It would be a real kick in the pants for him if she ends up falling for Winn (this is assuming that Winn sticks around for more than one episode).
Winn is going to be around for the next 3 episodes, then I think he's leaving again. Jeremy Jordan doesn't want to be a regular on the show. He's busy doing concerts and Broadway and other stuff right now.
- Supergirl
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top