That's so sweet of him!
a fine mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Awww Mehcad
Awesome Nerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I understand the writers wanting to move on from them, but the pretending they never had feelings (especially Kara) for one another is the main issue to me. It's just stupid and I guess you don't even have to ever re-watch Season 1 since Season 1 & 2 are like two separate series.
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think it's more or a matter that she came to see it wasn't what she thought it was going to be...

Also I wouldn't take it that far
Old 05-26-2017, 06:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Nerds (View Post)
I think it's more or a matter that she came to see it wasn't what she thought it was going to be...

Also I wouldn't take it that far
I'm sorry I would. Luckily I'm not taking it even further...
This line, "For the first time ever, I really liked someone." Was just disrespectful to Kara/James relationship in Season 1.

The writers ARE erasing Kara/James and it's frustrating. They can build a pairing without rewriting facts...

It's more of the matter of the writers ERASING and REWRITING, Kara and James even never got together so we can't say, she thought it was something and it wasn't. That line makes sense if Kara/James actually dated. But instead after a whole season of pinning after him and happy that James/Lucy breaks up, she dumps him to find herself.

I don't even care if I'm in the minority here, I hate when writers do this, for pairings I like or even don't like. It's pathetic and idiotic and disrespectful writing for the fans who invested time for the other pairing.
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:04 AM
Fan Forum Legend

no doubt their handling of james/kara ending was bad.. i wouldve preferred at least one real disastrous date (bad for both sides) before they both decided it wouldnt work out esp since he is her boss now at catco.

i read this recently and for me this makes so much sense if james was her 'safety net'

Quote:
I like James and his character, but watching him and Kara in season 1, it felt off to me. She pined after him SO much, especially when he was off the market, that it seemed (to me) just a tiny bit forced. Not forced like the directors and writers were trying too hard or that the actors were trying too hard, but just that Kara seemed a little too fixated on liking him despite him being in a committed relationship. For someone like Supergirl, who tends to put herself on a pedestal or be the paragon for good and pure and right, it seemed odd that she would keep pining after someone in said committed relationship instead of back off and look elsewhere. I get that she tried a few times, but those times seemed a little forced to me as well and they still came back to her and James. WHY would Supergirl be so fixated on liking a taken man? I don't think she'd ever dare try to actively come between them, maybe there was more to it.

Maybe James was her safety net. One of my friends, when we were talking about it, mentioned something similar she felt happened in one of her favorite shows, in the Shadowhunters universe, with Alec and Magnus (is it Alex? Idk, I really just sort of watch Supergirl and a few other shows so I only know what she tells me). Apparently a character, Alec(x?), was gay in a very "don't ask, don't tell" society and thought he loved his adoptive brother. My friend explained it as that was his safety net. Because his brother was straight and it would be very wrong for Alec to act on his feelings, so if he loved his brother that way, then he would be safe. Because he'd never have to come out as gay, because nothing could ever or would ever happen between them, and if he liked his brother then he wouldn't look at or like other men. Then Magnus came along and made him rethink what love was (which was a beautiful concept to hear about).

Basically, it made me think maybe my theory had some merit to it. By Kara pining for James and thinking she wanted to be with him, when she knew they could never be together as he was taken, she would never have to try with other humans. She'd never have to experience holding back or lying to them or the failure of the relationship with a human. She was safe from that hurt and sadness if she focused on liking someone she couldn't have.
like yea there was the bit of interlude with Adam but she nipped it real quick cus again she couldn't handle it and then went right back to focusing on james who still wasn't available

and i feel like this safety net theory fits in since they finally actually gett the chance to date for real yet that's when kara stops it before it really takes off..
karamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah that's more or less what I've been thinking, like she always was into the idea of him, and then it happened... and it wasn't what she thought all along. It sucks for people who got invested, really, it does, but it feels like it would happen...
Old 06-12-2017, 08:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

Sorry catching up on this thread...

I totally disagree that James was ever supposed to be Kara's "safety net". James is the person that always pushed her to be the best version of Supergirl and be comfortable fitting into a role she didn't always feel fit for (i.e. - being a hero). He literally did the opposite of being her safety net. He pushed her out of her comfort zone to be the person she was meant to be. The "one date" thing was clearly an attempt at the writers to (a) extend tension between the two because they actually did get moved over to the CW instead of getting cancelled from CBS completely, which then turned into (b) pushing ~another~ ship.

James/Jimmy Olsen is an iconic character in the DC Universe, so I'm downright grossed out at how badly they treat this character in marginalizing his importance. Like literally. He's one of the most popular characters in the Superman universe.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Guess we'll have to have our own opinions
Old 06-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah I don't watch this show anymore.

I'm hoping they pull Jimmy Olsen back into the DCEU, since apparently DCTV doesn't care about him.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:01 AM
Loyal Fan

They erased Karolsen because of the CW move = insert generic straight white male.

If you're black, or a woke POC or white person (like me), you'll easily acknowledge what the network did and how shameful it is but most Karamel supporters/Supergirl fans are white fangirls who aren't capable of engaging in that kind of discussion or acknowledging what happens to black characters in fandom and the writers room. It's NOT in their capacity. It's all "let's not go there" "I don't think it was that" "we can't be sure if.." "I don't feel comfortable...". So there's no point talking to someone who doesn't start a discussion on race from humility.

We all know mansplaining, but in topics of race amongst fangirls, you have whitefangirlsplaining. Rather than acknolweding, "Hey you're black, let me actually listen to you and what you're saying about racism in TV genre. Something I have never experienced, nor will ever experience."

Kara and James's story was written well, a very solid love story, pining and missed opportunities and misunderstandings like all het couples, the only difference is James was black. So you are constantly met with "something was off" "it didn't feel natural" "he didn't deserve her" "they were better as friends".

So moving to the CW they completely erased the fact Kara was in love with James and they want all of us to pretend she wasn't. If you're one of the three I listed above; black, woke POC or woke white person, you can't.

Unfortunately for them, Mon-El has been a very polarizing character from slave owner to, it was "easier when I objectified women and didn't care". That flies with one side of the fandom, being majority white fangirls, who can overlook and explain away what is horrifying, and love Karamel. The other side, plain no.

I will say it's good Mon-El has had a polarizing reception. At the screening of the finale, it was made abudantly clear with the response from fans. Myself and others tried to squeeze in chats with Andrew Kreisberg. There is a clear understanding. It's all about what the EP's do with it and if/what capacity Chris Wood would return in.

That's more of an anti-Mon El stance than a pro-Karolsen stance. It's all the Karolsens/James supporters, Supercorps and just general wtf happened to Supergirlers.

I don't know if Karolsen will ever reunite. They'd need to act like James is alive again first.
MagnusBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

I have no interest in Mon el in any way lol

I do miss James having real things to do. And Kara remembering he still exists. It's why I stopped watching.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:08 PM
Master Fan

This is the James/Kara thread so I will limit what I say to this:

As a black woman, there's nothing worse than a "woke, white person" who accuses the show of being racist because this couple ended then aggressively ships Kara with another white person. This literally makes no sense. These people need introspection. And their agenda is clear.

And please, don't presume to know how all black people feel about this couple ending because other than it being wrong, it's extremely offensive.
The Lord is my shepherd.

Last edited by Chiqa; 06-14-2017 at 02:29 PM
Chiqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

^I don't think the poster was saying all POC viewers are upset at this couple ending at all.

But I do think it's impossible to ignore that the move to the CW has marginalized an important character who is also a POC. This is not new for the CW. Whether a person ships Karolsen or not, you can't ignore that the treatment of James has been awful, and since the show moved to the CW in particular he went from being focused on to being dropped like a hot potato for what? Part of honoring the history of the DC Universe is not treating important characters poorly. Jimmy Olsen is important to the DC Universe, and was important to THIS SHOW, at least through S1.

I think its also impossible to say that racism doesn't play a part in why this ship was treated so poorly, especially when you are talking about some fans who just ~don't like James for some reason they can't explain~. TV doesn't always do well with their treatment of POC characters and fandoms don't always acknowledge the implicit biases that go into liking or disliking a character/actor. And this show has gotten criticized for its portrayal of women in Kara and its marginalization of POC characters in James.

anyway, their faces are pretty:

X

Last edited by Static Waves; 06-14-2017 at 04:01 PM
Static Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread