Old 03-15-2020, 02:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

[Episode Discussion] 5x15 - "Reality Bytes" March 15th 2020

Season 5, Episode 15
"Reality Bytes"
Episode Discussion
original air date, Sunday March 15th 2020

Quote:
Nia's roommate is attacked by a man targeting Dreamer; Dreamer refuses to give into men's threats and puts herself in the line of fire to stop him; Alex, J'onn and Kelly attempt to rescue a man stuck inside a virtual reality game.
Basic Rules:
○ Be Respectful of other posters.
○ Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.
○ No Character/Actor Bashing.
○ Everything is a spoiler until it has aired.
○ Any talk of Illegal Downloading should not be brought up here. Live Streams & such can be discussed through PM's.
○ Most importantly, HAVE FUN!
karamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:26 PM
Total Fan

* We saw a brief glimpse of Super!Alex and Mom!Alex in Alex’s VR options when she first popped in to the program.

* “I need to talk to Andrea about unintended uses of Obsidian tech”. Did they really not think that people would use VR as an excuse to hook up? Have none of Obsidian’s developers ever gone online before? C’mon now.

* Nicole Maines brought her A-game to this episode. I’m so glad she got the chance to shine. The scenes where Nia is crying to Kara, and later talking to Yvette got me in the feels.

* I like that Nia admitted she didn’t know how to interpret her dreams. This is something I’ve wanted the show to touch on for the longest time.

I hope this means she’s going to either 1) Make up w/ her sister and learn from her (since Maeve spent years studying dream interpretation) or 2) Go to Naltor and learn there.

This could be something they can have her do during the time jump between Season 5 and Season 6. Eg: She can leave in the Season 5 finale, then come back in the Season 6 premiere with her newfound knowledge.

* So… did someone in the writer’s room randomly ask about Jeremiah one day, and the show suddenly remembered he existed and realized they had to find a way to close that story off? Because that was kinda… just thrown in there.

RIP, Jeremiah Danvers. We hardly knew ye.
Lucifer Morningstar: Why do they blame me for all their little failings? As if I'd spent my days sitting on their shoulder, forcing them to commit acts they'd otherwise find repulsive. Oh, the Devil made me do it . I have never made any one of them do anything! Never!
- Lucifer (Netflix)
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:15 AM
Part-Time Fan

When they first showed the Dominator being captured and Supergirl saying Dreamer beat her record, it thought it was going to be a VR thing, but then the awkwardness with Brainy happened so it's clear it was real.

I liked that he actually helped out this time, even if he only had phone interactions with most of the people. I'm glad he gave a file to the police at the end.

I had trouble understanding some of what Nia was saying & couldn't get closed captions to work. Was she saying the one person who was supporting her from the beginning was Kara? Or was she saying it was Brainy & he dumped her? I couldn't tell.

I kind of wish he would just tell the rest of the team that they need to cooperate with Lex to take down Leviathan instead of keeping secrets-- especially since Alex is determined to take Lex down.

I totally agree with Elektra about how it makes no sense that they wouldn't have discussed the ethics and rules. I've played online games where players can create their own content-- there's a lot of nudity and giant phalli. I've been playing MMORPGs since they first came out & there are some nutjobs and trolls who play. There are people who would absolutely "grief" other people and try to bend the rules.

I think it's clear that the old lady from Leviathan isn't actually reporting problems to Andrea and that it's working as intended to trap the users for some nefarious purpose. Reminds me a little of the old series V where they were collecting people to eat them. But it's also a bit like the Matrix.

You'd think the government would be all up in Obsidian's grill about rules to prevent child exploitation & such.

I was confused about Jeremiah at the end. Has he been missing for a long time or something?
zannej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:56 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannej (View Post)
I had trouble understanding some of what Nia was saying & couldn't get closed captions to work. Was she saying the one person who was supporting her from the beginning was Kara? Or was she saying it was Brainy & he dumped her? I couldn't tell.
I think she was referring to Brainy and saying that he made her feel special and accepted her, but then he left her and didn't tell her why.

Quote:
I think it's clear that the old lady from Leviathan isn't actually reporting problems to Andrea and that it's working as intended to trap the users for some nefarious purpose. Reminds me a little of the old series V where they were collecting people to eat them. But it's also a bit like the Matrix.
It seems like there are certain people that get "trapped" in VR that Leviathan wants to keep around. I'm not sure why they're choosing these particular people. Maybe they want to control anyone who can hack the system?

Quote:
I was confused about Jeremiah at the end. Has he been missing for a long time or something?
The last we saw of Jeremiah was in Season 2. He was working for Cadmus (they did cruel scientific experiments on aliens, and it was run by Lillian Luthor) under duress, but he betrayed Cadmus to save his daughters. I think he went on the run after that.

Every so often, Alex would mention that she had to find her dad and save him from Cadmus, but that story line was eventually dropped. We hadn't heard anything about Jeremiah's fate until now (3 seasons after he disappeared).
Lucifer Morningstar: Why do they blame me for all their little failings? As if I'd spent my days sitting on their shoulder, forcing them to commit acts they'd otherwise find repulsive. Oh, the Devil made me do it . I have never made any one of them do anything! Never!
- Lucifer (Netflix)
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:09 PM
Princess Of Themyscira

Between the two storylines of Alex saving Al's brother in VR and what Nia was going through, I found Nia's story more compelling than the VR stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra (View Post)
RIP, Jeremiah Danvers. We hardly knew ye.

Well, that's one way to tie up a loose-end story line that never had a proper conclusion for a couple of seasons now.
obisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:20 AM
Part-Time Fan

I remember CADMUS from the Superboy comic run in the 90s. IIRC, it was always sort of an evil corporation, but Lillian Luthor running it makes sense for the show.

I should probably read some older synopsis to pick up on stuff from past seasons that I missed.

If Nia meant that Brainy was the first one to accept her, that is odd to me because I thought it was Kara who first found out about her being trans & accepting her, but they might have changed continuity with Crisis.

Something that bugged me about Alex going on about taking down Lex and getting back to the DEO (I'm assuming she wants to be there in the capacity of director) is that she doesn't seem to care about Brainy. Does she just plan to have him demoted or does she think he would want to abdicate his authority to her? Did she even think about him at all in any of it? Or maybe she wants Lex's position instead?

The VR story was interesting as well, but the two different stories made it feel disjointed. I still think it is odd that they haven't had the one person who actually is an AI take a look at the tech-- but I guess he's too distracted with the Leviathan thing. I do hope he starts looking in to the VR angle & figures things out though.

We'll have to see if Lex actually tries to fight Leviathan, or of he just wants their power to abuse for his own goals. I'm suspecting they will end up having to fight him toward the end & that Brainy will have to choose sides.

I'm still finding it hard to believe that there wouldn't be all sorts of regulations about the VR stuff & all sorts of checks to make sure it can't be used to hurt people, but it is a fantasy world where people can fly.
zannej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
SKAM

This episode was so emotional, love Nia
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top