Old 04-15-2018, 03:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

[Episode Discussion] 3x14 - "Schott Through the Heart" - April 16th 2018

Season 3, Episode 14
"Schott Through the Heart"
Episode Discussion
original air date, Monday April 16th 2018

Quote:
When Winn’s (Jeremy Jordan) father dies, his estranged mother, Mary (guest star Laurie Metcalf), reappears trying to reconnect and to explain why she abandoned him all those years ago. Winn is too embittered from his rough childhood to forgive her but when a copycat Toyman attacks, the two must work together to stop him. Mon-El (Chris Wood) tells Kara (Melissa Benoist) something important about the Worldkillers, and Alex (Chyler Leigh) becomes suspicious of Myr’nn’s (guest star Carl Lumbly) recent behavior.
Basic Rules:
○ Be Respectful of other posters.
○ Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.
○ No Character/Actor Bashing.
○ Everything is a spoiler until it has aired.
○ Any talk of Illegal Downloading should not be brought up here. Live Streams & such can be discussed through PM's.
○ Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Last edited by karamel; 04-16-2018 at 06:31 PM
karamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

I have a staff development after work tomorrow, but will try to get home in time to watch it live!
a fine mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:06 AM
Fan Forum Legend

hope i can make it home in time too
Old 04-16-2018, 04:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

im ready
Old 04-16-2018, 06:46 PM
Total Fan

- YES! What I’ve wanted for so long – KARAOKE NIGHT!

- Awww… James is comforting Winn. But shouldn’t Kara be there comforting Winn too? Both James and Winn comforted Kara in Season 1 when she was going through stuff.

- Not Supergirl but… DEADPOOL 2 TV SPOT! *ahem* Sorry about that…

- So Winn gets his nerdiness and sarcastic sense of humour from his Mom. Cool.

- Someone needs to hug Winn. That scene talking to his mom was so sad.

- Awww, Space Grandpa considers Alex his granddaughter.

- Kara: Winn doesn’t always get the credit he deserves, but he keeps us going around here
Me: Winn doesn’t get the title of best friend - which he deserves - either, apparently…

I was waiting for Kara to say something about him being one of her BFFs, but I guess that whole Season 1 relationship no longer exists

- How does Mary have access to everything in the DEO? Shouldn’t someone need some kind of security card to get into the armory?

- I wish there was more to the Villain of the Day than some random maintenance person who idolized Winslow Sr.

- Why is James not using his Guardian suit?

- Ok Supergirl … I need to have a word with you: Of ALL people, why did you chose to make Winn sing badly? You know, the character played by the big Broadway musical star? ARGH!

*takes a deep breath* Anyway… aside from that, I really enjoyed this episode. But then again, Winn is one of my favourite characters, so I’m biased 😊
Old 04-16-2018, 07:28 PM
Absolute Fan

And the wait is over!

What a great way for my favorite Superhero series to make a comeback: "Kara"oke, family angst, Kara and Mon-El bonding, and killer toys.

Seeing Chyler, Mehcad, David, and Chris singing was a lot of fun, but I think the writers missed out on a massive opportunity by not having somebody perform "You Give Love a Bad Name" given that the title of the episode was a play on that song's first lyrical verse.

I had been convinced going into tonight's episode that there was going to be something sinister behind the introduction of Winn's mom, but I'm glad they didn't actually go that route, because it instead let them delve into his character more and also gave him a rare chance to be a little bit of a badass. And by introducing a Toywoman who turned out to be an obsessed "fangirl", the show also expanded its own mythos and potentially introduced a new recurring villainess.

The stuff with Alex, M'yrnn, and J'onn in this episode was heartbreaking to watch, and Chyler, Carl, and David really hit it out of the park. I do wish we'd actually gotten to see M'yrnn confess his condition to J'onn, but I suspect that that scene may have been cut for time.

As a huge Karamel shipper, it's always nice to see Kara and Mon-El interacting without things being awkward, and so I really liked that we saw the two of them bonding a bit over having both been lied to, especially since Mon-El is hurt by it but not especially bitter about it.

I probably should've figured out that there was going to be more to James' constant attempts to get in touch with Lena than met the eye, but the episode-closing reveal that she'd clearly been trying to follow through on her promise to help Sam still caught me off-guard, and I'm rather intrigued to see where that storyline is headed next.

Supergirl's hiatus may have been excruciatingly long, but the show came back with a bang and I can't wait to see where things go next.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:48 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra (View Post)

- Ok Supergirl … I need to have a word with you: Of ALL people, why did you chose to make Winn sing badly? You know, the character played by the big Broadway musical star? ARGH!
guess the karaoke was fun bit they've always wanted to do but also not wanna have tooo much focus on it

solid ep to come back to from hiatus.. one of my faves so far for s3
Old 04-17-2018, 03:43 AM
Total Fan

^^Awww, well.... I guess if the bad singing was Jeremy's idea, I can forgive it. Winn can only sing in Music-Meister dream sequences, I guess.
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/04/ra...pril-2018.html

pretty good for coming back from long hiatus
Old 04-17-2018, 08:36 PM
Total Fan

The only thing I didn't understand about this whole "I want to kill my son" thing is that in Season 1, Toyman was all "I want you to become like me. You're my greatest creation..." etc. So that part was a bit contradictory.
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

hmm not necessarily.. the killing him part was a threat to mary, his way of controlling her. doesnt mean that he didnt want winn to eventually follow in his footsteps
Old 04-18-2018, 02:45 AM
Loyal Fan

Finally Supergirl is back! What a beautiful episode for Winn

The opening was amazing. Kara speech and then the Karaoke night epic It was one of the funny scene ever!!! Loved everyone

All the scenes between Winn and his mom were amazing, Jeremy Jordan and Laurie Metcalf were incredible together!
The scene where Winn describe what his mother did to him by not showing up at the police station had me in tears Jeremy was amazing in it

it was so great see Supergirl, Mon-El, James, and Winn fight crime together 👊

the flying monkeys attack and the faces off between Mon-El and the T-Rex were so awesome

M'yrnn storyline was so sad 😭 I don't want Space Granddad to have space dementia J'onn can't lose his dad again

Alex and J'onn hug at the end J'onn is gonna need all the support

It was so good to see Kara and Mon-el working together as partner. I'm really happy they are taking things slow with Karamel and that they are rebuilding their friendship first.

So the Legion secret is that Pestilence evolves into the Blight in the future, it's great how all the storylines are starting to collide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra (View Post)
^^Awww, well.... I guess if the bad singing was Jeremy's idea, I can forgive it. Winn can only sing in Music-Meister dream sequences, I guess.
it was Jeremy idea. I read this in an interview

Quote:
How hard is it to pretend that you’re an at-best average singer, as you do in this episode?

Oh, it’s not hard at all! It’s fun. I think you can fall very easily into the trap, as a singer, of [thinking], oh, it’s a karaoke episode, I have to show everybody that I’m an amazing singer. But I know that I can sing, and a lot of other people know that as well. The funny thing is, I got into this job — one of the main reasons I came out for pilot season three years ago was to get a job where I didn’t have to sing. I feel like every job that I got was because I can sing. Every movie, every TV show, every Broadway show, everything.

And I was like, I know that I have more to offer. And so, when this one show, which was my non-singing show, decide to like make me sing again, which is fine, I think it’s more fun to wink and nod at it, than to fully embrace it. “Oh my God, now Winn’s an incredible singer, because Jeremy is a great singer.” It’s more fun to fight against that. Chris [Wood] has the same thing. He’s a great singer, and he makes Mon-El the most terrible singer ever, which I think is hilarious. And sang in The Flash [musical] crossover episode, so that was kind of my moment in the universe. Also, Laurie doesn’t think that she’s a very good singer, so I didn’t want to make her feel stupid.
simy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:34 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by simy (View Post)

M'yrnn storyline was so sad 😭 I don't want Space Granddad to have space dementia J'onn can't lose his dad again

Alex and J'onn hug at the end J'onn is gonna need all the support
That part was really sad.
obisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

finally back on!
Old 04-23-2018, 03:22 PM
I am a basketball genius!

So I saw this episode & some things I didn't quite get. I still don't understand why Supergirl explains her life story at the beginning of every episode as if people watching have never heard of her before. Oh well. What other shows does that happen on though?

So Winslow Schott Sr. died & apparently he wasn't very nice. Perhaps he was 1 of the worst parents in history going by what I heard about him. Which got me thinking that Winn's mom seemed quite cowardly considering how terrible Winslow Sr. was told of being. I mean come on lady. Most of the episode it seemed explaining how terrible this guy that died was that none of use knew even existed likely a short time ago. I guess that was a funeral for Winslow Sr. Why even have a funeral for him or show up at it? Winslow Sr. payed for it himself I guess. I don't remember Winn's mom telling him why she married his dad. Finally, if someone would've got eaten by that apparent robotic dinosaur. I'd have been shocked.
canflam is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread