Old 04-23-2017, 09:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

[Episode Discussion] 2x18 - "Ace Reporter" - April 24th 2017

Season 2, Episode 18
"Ace Reporter"
Episode Discussion
original air date, Monday April 24th 2017

Synopsis:

“IZOMBIE’S” RAHUL KOHLI GUEST STARS – Lena’s (guest star Katie McGarth) ex-boyfriend, Jack Spheer (guest star Rahul Kohli), comes to National City to unveil his big breakthrough in nano-technology, which has the potential to eradicate all diseases. Lena asks Kara to attend Jack’s conference with her for support. When Kara sees Snapper (guest Star Ian Gomez) in attendance she’s inspired to tap back into her reporter skills and questions Jack on his discovery, which ultimately leads to a bigger investigation that puts everyone in danger. Armen V. Kevorkian directed the episode written by Paula Yoo & Caitlin Parrish (#218). Original airdate 4/24/2017.

[previous episode] | [next episode]

Basic Rules:
○ Be Respectful of other posters.
○ Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.
○ No Character/Actor Bashing.
○ Everything is a spoiler until it has aired.
○ Any talk of Illegal Downloading should not be brought up here. Live Streams & such can be discussed through PM's.
○ Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Last edited by Awesome Nerds; 04-30-2017 at 11:56 AM
Awesome Nerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the new one!
a fine mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Thanks for the new one!

Finally, the show is back tonight!
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

It's about time.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:25 PM
Total Fan

- Poor Kara is bored. I guess being Supergirl and having Mon-El isn’t enough for her after all. Who'da thunk it?

- Ravi's here! Does National City have a Zombie problem?

- Yay! Lyra is part of the Superfriends team! She needs a few lessons on self-control though.

- The Vardies are killing people again. Where’s The Doctor?. Oops, sorry. Got confused. Another one of my shows had killer nano-swarms this week ...

- Did Katie McGrath just give up on her American accent this episode?

- We went 25 minute without Mon-El. That must be a new record.

- Mon-El as Kara’s comedic sidekick would have been way better than rushing a romance. I wish they would have done this in the first place. I actually liked their interactions this episode.

- Well… Lyra and Winn blew up spectacularly. Have they never had a disagreement before? The severity of her freak-out kind of seemed out of the blue. She needs to apologize to him for that. Seriously. (Also, WTF writers? Where did that even come from??)

- Me (after the first killing): It’s totally the assistant, isn’t it?

... though using Ravi Jack as the weapon was unexpected. Poor Lena.

- Kara: I will always be your friend, and I will always protect you
Lena *finally realizes Kara is Supergirl (maybe?)*

- So happy to see CatCo being used again. Are the writers finally fixing their mistakes?

- Oh dear… Evil!Lois is trying to mess with Lena now. How does she even know who Kara's friends are?

Last edited by Elektra; 04-25-2017 at 06:27 AM
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:30 PM
Absolute Fan

I'm so glad the show is back, and it's also nice that it returned with a great character-focused story for both Lena and Kara. Seeing Rahul Kohli play yet another scientist kind of took some getting used to, but I liked the chemistry that he had with Katie McGrath. His interactions with Kara and Mon-El/Mike were also nice.

I really like Snapper; his gruff demeanor could be off-putting, but Ian Gomez makes it work by sheer virtue of charm, and I love the way he rehired Kara in this episode and gave her a byline.

We'd known for a while that Lyra was going to end up joining "Team Guardian" and sort of becoming the 'Yoko Ono' of that group by causing a rift of sorts between James and Winn, which was something I'd really been looking forward to seeing, although I had no clue that it was going to be happening in this episode. Speaking of Lyra, that girl has some anger issues, but I can't help but love her anyway (kind of like Winn).

I love that Kara pledged to always be there for Lena, and probably should've seen Rhea's attempt to drive a wedge between the two friends by showing up all sinister-like at the end to 'proposition' Lena. I'm fairly confident, though, that even if Lena does end up going a little bit dark after having to kill Jack, she won't stay that way for long. It does seem from recent promos that she's going to learn that Kara is Supergirl, probably due to Rhea, so it'll be interesting to see how, or if, their friendship changes once the "cat is out of the bag", as it were.

There's not been a weak episode, IMO, this entire season, and "Ace Reporter" continues the trend, delivering some really great character development for Kara, Lena, James, Winn, and Lyra and a fun guest star/antagonist in Rahul Kohli while also throwing a potential monkeywrench into the works with Rhea scheming and showing up to talk to Lena at the end there, which should make for some interesting narrative twists and turns going forward.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

This was an interesting episode. I had had been tricked into thinking this Jack character was an actual human, which Kara thought was a killer. I think this showed how strange it would be being Kara. Because instead of calling her local police department about someone potentially killing people she tells Lena, who was dating this guy. I guess that makes sense, but Jack still died by the end of the only episode he was in on ''Supergirl''. So that was actually a bummer, because he could've been an interesting character.
canflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

Good news for Kara

It seems that ratty tyrant boss gave her back her job. There are times when he acts like a jerk like when he tries to interrupt her at a press conference when she's asking someone else a question. There are plenty of tom boys out there who can rough a guy up, so I'm sure she could easily rough him up without letting him know she's Supergirl. Homer Simpson's boss is another ratty tyrant boss.
God bless, Jason Scott Irelan
the5billionthquackwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:57 PM
Fan Forum Star

I moved your post to the episode discussion thread.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:09 PM
Master Fan

I watched the episode before leaving for my trip to Italy, and what was going on, was not what I expected. I thought that the nanotechnology was actually alien but it wasn't. I'm glad Kara got her job back.
obisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think she would've gotten it back at some point.
canflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top